Network Map Feature in Vista

Bill Hobson

Network Map Feature in Vista
I was trying to use the "View Full Map" Option under Network and Internet,
Network and Sharing Center.
I get an error "Network mapping is disabled by default on domain networks.
Your network administrator can use Group Policy to enable mapping."

Since Group Policy is so simple and straight forward (NOT!), does anyone
know where in Group Policy this setting is found?

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Network Map Feature in Vista
In Group Policy Object Editor:
Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Network
Link-Layer Topolygy Discovery
Turn on Mapper I/O (LLTDIO) driver - Enable - check mark in at least
"Allow operation while in domain"
Turn on Responder (RSPNDR) driver - Enable - check mark in at least
"Allow operation while in domain"

The first setting allows the Vista computers to discover other "devices".
The second setting allows Vista computers to respond to discovery requests
and thus to be "found".

A spreadsheet that contains all the Vista Group Policy settings is available
at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en.
This is a very handy reference that shows all the settings available,
partial "explain" text and where the setting is in the Group Policy Object
Editor hierarchy.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Bill Hobson" <Ihatespamb-hobson@tamu.edu> wrote in message
news5152BE0-95B0-455E-AA78-CD2B0EBDA2B3@microsoft.com...
>I was trying to use the "View Full Map" Option under Network and Internet,
>Network and Sharing Center.
> I get an error "Network mapping is disabled by default on domain networks.
> Your network administrator can use Group Policy to enable mapping."
>
> Since Group Policy is so simple and straight forward (NOT!), does anyone
> know where in Group Policy this setting is found?

Bill Hobson

Re: Network Map Feature in Vista
Thanks for the specifics and for the additional general information.

P.S. I bookmarked your website - should come in handy the next time a
network printer goes bonkers.

"Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> In Group Policy Object Editor:
> Computer Configuration
> Administrative Templates
> Network
> Link-Layer Topolygy Discovery
> Turn on Mapper I/O (LLTDIO) driver - Enable - check mark in at least
> "Allow operation while in domain"
> Turn on Responder (RSPNDR) driver - Enable - check mark in at least
> "Allow operation while in domain"
>
> The first setting allows the Vista computers to discover other "devices".
> The second setting allows Vista computers to respond to discovery requests
> and thus to be "found".
>
> A spreadsheet that contains all the Vista Group Policy settings is
> available at
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en.
> This is a very handy reference that shows all the settings available,
> partial "explain" text and where the setting is in the Group Policy Object
> Editor hierarchy.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "Bill Hobson" <Ihatespamb-hobson@tamu.edu> wrote in message
> news5152BE0-95B0-455E-AA78-CD2B0EBDA2B3@microsoft.com...
>>I was trying to use the "View Full Map" Option under Network and Internet,
>>Network and Sharing Center.
>> I get an error "Network mapping is disabled by default on domain
>> networks. Your network administrator can use Group Policy to enable
>> mapping."
>>
>> Since Group Policy is so simple and straight forward (NOT!), does anyone
>> know where in Group Policy this setting is found?

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Network Map Feature in Vista
You're welcome, happy I was helpful. I'll be on vacation for the first two
weeks of January - look for some Vista specific stuff on my site in the New
Year!