remote desktop howto

=?Utf-8?B?dmlzdGE=?=

remote desktop howto
how can i make remote desktop between two computer that they are both behind
NAT router?
any step-by-step guide?
thanks
Sooner Al \(MVP\)

Re: remote desktop howto
"vista" <vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how can i make remote desktop between two computer that they are both
> behind
> NAT router?
> any step-by-step guide?
> thanks

This page will help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

You need TCP Port 3389 (or whatever port your listening on if you change
from the default) open on any NAT device the PC you want to remotely
access/control is behind. Use a *STRONG* password...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

=?Utf-8?B?Q3Jhc2hTVw==?=

Remote Assistance/Desktop
We have a pc at our office that we need to be able to connect to from home
and see the screen, be able to control the machine and most importantly hear
sounds. I have tried several 3rd party software programs for this but none
support sound. I have several questions:

1 What is the difference between Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop?
2 Does either support sound?
3 When I try to connect to the server from my home network or from the
server to my home network I get an error saying that the host name could not
be resolved. I suspect this has something to do with public/private IP
addresses and port forwarding on my router but have not been able to work
around it. I can take my laptop off my home network, use a modem to dial the
internet and control my PC at home and vice versa. I can also do the same
through the network, but when I try to connect between home and office I
always get the same error.

Desktop at office and Laptop are running XP Home, Dektop at home is running
Vista but was running XP MCE with the same issue. Netgear router at home and
Linksys router at office.

I suspect the problem is at home because I have a friend who could connect
to other peoples computers but not mine at home. Any help is appreciated

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Assistance/Desktop
"CrashSW" <CrashSW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a pc at our office that we need to be able to connect to from home
> and see the screen, be able to control the machine and most importantly
> hear
> sounds. I have tried several 3rd party software programs for this but none
> support sound. I have several questions:
>
> 1 What is the difference between Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop?
> 2 Does either support sound?
> 3 When I try to connect to the server from my home network or from the
> server to my home network I get an error saying that the host name could
> not
> be resolved. I suspect this has something to do with public/private IP
> addresses and port forwarding on my router but have not been able to work
> around it. I can take my laptop off my home network, use a modem to dial
> the
> internet and control my PC at home and vice versa. I can also do the same
> through the network, but when I try to connect between home and office I
> always get the same error.
>
> Desktop at office and Laptop are running XP Home, Dektop at home is
> running
> Vista but was running XP MCE with the same issue. Netgear router at home
> and
> Linksys router at office.
>
> I suspect the problem is at home because I have a friend who could connect
> to other peoples computers but not mine at home. Any help is appreciated

Well, first since the office PC is running XP Home you can't use Remote
Desktop. XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host. You might look into
using UltraVNC as an alternative. Get the UltraVNC server/host, client,
encryption plugin and XP video driver (installed on the host only) from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Call the office using the public IP of the router. Make sure TCP Port 5900
is forwarded through the router to the private LAN IP of the PC you want to
remotely access/control.

To directly answer your question about the differences between Remote
Desktop and Remote Assistance see this...

http://tinyurl.com/yjjaw7

I don't know if UltraVNC supports sound. You could always upgrade to XP Pro
or XP MCE and then use Remote Desktop which does support sound or wait for
Vista Ultimate or Vista Business editions to hit the street...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Tito Luyo Murata

Re: remote desktop howto
if you don't want to complicate with router configuration, you can try to
use www.hamachi.cc is an free hosted easy vpn solution.
Tito