Windows Vista VPN

=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=

Windows Vista VPN
Has anyone had problems with Vista RTM's Windows VPN client. I've used it
for years in XP with no issues, but when I tried it with Vista Beta, I
couldn't connect to our office VPN which was a deal-breaker. I am hesitant
to install the RTM release until I know that the Windows VPN is working. Any
help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
dogface

Re: Windows Vista VPN
I've been using the VPN client in RTM with no problems. I connected today
with a customer who is running SBS 2003 R2 and no problems.

Which error(s) are you receiving?

"RMcCabe" <RMcCabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone had problems with Vista RTM's Windows VPN client. I've used it
> for years in XP with no issues, but when I tried it with Vista Beta, I
> couldn't connect to our office VPN which was a deal-breaker. I am
> hesitant
> to install the RTM release until I know that the Windows VPN is working.
> Any
> help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=

Re: Windows Vista VPN
I don't recall the error. From what I remember it would say that I was
connect but didn't seem to be connected. In XP (and in Vista Beta) I went
through the Windows network setup wizard, entered the IP address and that was
pretty much it, worked every time in XP, but couldn't get it to work on Vista
Beta. I double checked my XP setting against Beta settting and everything
was the same but still didn't work. I did see the beta had a lot of VPN
issues, but most posts seemed to be specific to 3rd party VPN hd/sw, I didn't
find much around Microsoft VPN settings.

I appreciate your help. Thank you dogface.

"dogface" wrote:

> I've been using the VPN client in RTM with no problems. I connected today
> with a customer who is running SBS 2003 R2 and no problems.
>
> Which error(s) are you receiving?
>
> "RMcCabe" <RMcCabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone had problems with Vista RTM's Windows VPN client. I've used it
> > for years in XP with no issues, but when I tried it with Vista Beta, I
> > couldn't connect to our office VPN which was a deal-breaker. I am
> > hesitant
> > to install the RTM release until I know that the Windows VPN is working.
> > Any
> > help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Antibiyotik

Re: Windows Vista VPN
I have been using too. Vista final - Ultimate. There is no problem...

"RMcCabe" <RMcCabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone had problems with Vista RTM's Windows VPN client. I've used it
> for years in XP with no issues, but when I tried it with Vista Beta, I
> couldn't connect to our office VPN which was a deal-breaker. I am
> hesitant
> to install the RTM release until I know that the Windows VPN is working.
> Any
> help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

Re: Windows Vista VPN
I have been having the same problem. Looking at the forum, there appears to
be a fair number of similar comments. Trying to connect to an XP machine. I
think SBS 2003 as well, but not sure.

"Antibiyotik" wrote:

> I have been using too. Vista final - Ultimate. There is no problem...
>

> "RMcCabe" <RMcCabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone had problems with Vista RTM's Windows VPN client. I've used it
> > for years in XP with no issues, but when I tried it with Vista Beta, I
> > couldn't connect to our office VPN which was a deal-breaker. I am
> > hesitant
> > to install the RTM release until I know that the Windows VPN is working.
> > Any
> > help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?U2xhY2tlcg==?=

Re: Windows Vista VPN
Did you choose the option in Windows Firewall to allow Microsoft VPN? It
didn't work for me untill after I did that. I upgraded XP Pro on my Thinkpad
T60P to Vista Ultimate RTM.

BTW, I don't recomend running Vista on a Thinkpad yet. Too many drivers
missing.

Stephen

"David" wrote:

> I have been having the same problem. Looking at the forum, there appears to
> be a fair number of similar comments. Trying to connect to an XP machine. I
> think SBS 2003 as well, but not sure.
>
> "Antibiyotik" wrote:
>
> > I have been using too. Vista final - Ultimate. There is no problem...
> >

> > "RMcCabe" <RMcCabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Has anyone had problems with Vista RTM's Windows VPN client. I've used it
> > > for years in XP with no issues, but when I tried it with Vista Beta, I
> > > couldn't connect to our office VPN which was a deal-breaker. I am
> > > hesitant
> > > to install the RTM release until I know that the Windows VPN is working.
> > > Any
> > > help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=

Re: Windows Vista VPN
Thanks Slacker. I turned of Windows Firewall for my VPN connection but it
didn't seem to resolve the issue? Any other ideas? Thanks.

"Slacker" wrote:

> Did you choose the option in Windows Firewall to allow Microsoft VPN? It
> didn't work for me untill after I did that. I upgraded XP Pro on my Thinkpad
> T60P to Vista Ultimate RTM.
>
> BTW, I don't recomend running Vista on a Thinkpad yet. Too many drivers
> missing.
>
> Stephen
>
> "David" wrote:
>
> > I have been having the same problem. Looking at the forum, there appears to
> > be a fair number of similar comments. Trying to connect to an XP machine. I
> > think SBS 2003 as well, but not sure.
> >
> > "Antibiyotik" wrote:
> >
> > > I have been using too. Vista final - Ultimate. There is no problem...

=?Utf-8?B?YWxleHVz?=

RE: Windows Vista VPN
i've tried everything just can't get it to work no matter what!

"RMcCabe" wrote:

> Has anyone had problems with Vista RTM's Windows VPN client. I've used it
> for years in XP with no issues, but when I tried it with Vista Beta, I
> couldn't connect to our office VPN which was a deal-breaker. I am hesitant
> to install the RTM release until I know that the Windows VPN is working. Any
> help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Janani Vasudevan[MSFT]

Re: Windows Vista VPN
Hi,
You dont need the firewall opening on the VPN client. What error are you
getting when you connect to the server?

--
Thanks,
Janani Vasudevan [MSFT]

Check out the blog http://blogs.technet.com/rrasblog and be one among the
first to know about cool features added to RRAS in the upcoming releases!!

"alexus" <alexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i've tried everything just can't get it to work no matter what!
>

> "RMcCabe" wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had problems with Vista RTM's Windows VPN client. I've used
>> it
>> for years in XP with no issues, but when I tried it with Vista Beta, I
>> couldn't connect to our office VPN which was a deal-breaker. I am
>> hesitant
>> to install the RTM release until I know that the Windows VPN is working.
>> Any
>> help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rich

Re: Windows Vista VPN
Same problem here,
MS has just released a fix to VPN connectivity, I can now get access and
open shares, ping servers etc.
However the connection is up for like 30sec then drops... So Im looking into
that now.

I suggest you guys all do a windows update and see how you go.

Rich