Administrative Shares not working

=?Utf-8?B?U2hyZWs=?=

Administrative Shares not working
Hello,

I'm using Windows Vista RTM in Addition with OneCare and activated UAC.
I created a user in the group "Administrators" with a password.

I'm trying to Access my Vista System from another machine in my network with
windows xp sp2 using the administrative shares c$ etc...
These shares are activated and visible in computer management.

When I try to access these shares from the xp machine a window pops up
asking for credentials. I enter the credentials of the account I created but
the window pops up again empty after pressing enter, so the credentials seem
to be invalid.

I created manual an additional share of the volume C with security and
sharing permission full control for the group of administrators and I can
access this share with the same credentials without problems.

How can I use the administrative shares?

thank you,
Shrek
Tito Luyo Murata

Re: Administrative Shares not working
Only have problem with admin shares?
have activated Administrator account?
maybe is an OneCare's Firewall issue see
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsO...12037&SiteID=2
try to deactivate (temporary) the OneCare Firewall
Tito

"Shrek" <Shrek@nospam.postalias> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Windows Vista RTM in Addition with OneCare and activated UAC.
> I created a user in the group "Administrators" with a password.
>
> I'm trying to Access my Vista System from another machine in my network
> with
> windows xp sp2 using the administrative shares c$ etc...
> These shares are activated and visible in computer management.
>
> When I try to access these shares from the xp machine a window pops up
> asking for credentials. I enter the credentials of the account I created
> but
> the window pops up again empty after pressing enter, so the credentials
> seem
> to be invalid.
>
> I created manual an additional share of the volume C with security and
> sharing permission full control for the group of administrators and I can
> access this share with the same credentials without problems.
>
> How can I use the administrative shares?
>
> thank you,
> Shrek

=?Utf-8?B?U2hyZWs=?=

Re: Administrative Shares not working
Hello

and thank you for your answer.
The administrator account itself is disabled but as I stated I used a new
account created in the group of administrators, so I still have to activate
the administrator account?

I deacticated One Care Firewall, I even uninstalled OneCare completely but
the behavior is still the same.

Shrek
Jimmy Brush

Re: Administrative Shares not working
Hello,

Windows Vista prevents local administrators from using their administrator
powers over the network. This results in the inability to remotely
administer a computer using filesharing and tools that use similar
technology (such as the computer manager MMC snap-in and the administrative
shares, such as C$). However, this DOES NOT affect Remote Desktop in any
way. Also, domain-level admins are not affected.

To allow administrators local to a computer to use their administrator
powers when accessing the Vista computer remotely, please follow these
steps:

- Click start
- Type: regedit
- Press enter
- In the left, browse to the following folder:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\
- Right-click a blank area in the right pane
- Click New
- Click DWORD Value
- Type: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
- Double-click the item you just created
- Type 1 into the box
- Click OK
- Restart your computer

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Oscar Fowler

Re: Administrative Shares not working
Seems like this doesn't apply to domain admins, right? Not having any
trouble accessing C$ remotely using a domain admin account...

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Windows Vista prevents local administrators from using their administrator
> powers over the network. This results in the inability to remotely
> administer a computer using filesharing and tools that use similar
> technology (such as the computer manager MMC snap-in and the
> administrative shares, such as C$). However, this DOES NOT affect Remote
> Desktop in any way. Also, domain-level admins are not affected.
>
> To allow administrators local to a computer to use their administrator
> powers when accessing the Vista computer remotely, please follow these
> steps:
>
> - Click start
> - Type: regedit
> - Press enter
> - In the left, browse to the following folder:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\
> - Right-click a blank area in the right pane
> - Click New
> - Click DWORD Value
> - Type: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
> - Double-click the item you just created
> - Type 1 into the box
> - Click OK
> - Restart your computer
>

> --
> - JB
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Administrative Shares not working

> Seems like this doesn't apply to domain admins, right? Not having any
> trouble accessing C$ remotely using a domain admin account...

Correct, domain-level admins are unaffected by this policy setting.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/