Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista & wireless wep/wpa

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2006
ChrisC
 

Posts: n/a
Vista & wireless wep/wpa
Hi, has anyone managed to get these wireless security protocols to work?
Mine works fine without but sulks and refuses to connect when enable, I've
tried different routers, drivers, you name it, but it still refuses to
connect until I switch off the security. I've been in touch with the
manufacturer of the routers and they inform me I've done all I can and it
must be vista's problem, sigh, bang my head against the wall :-)
ChrisC

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2006
Gary G. Little
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
WPA/TKIP is working fine for me on my home system.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

"ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:C75CBF53-AC5F-4B6F-9614-CEE37F266C9E@microsoft.com...
> Hi, has anyone managed to get these wireless security protocols to work?
> Mine works fine without but sulks and refuses to connect when enable, I've
> tried different routers, drivers, you name it, but it still refuses to
> connect until I switch off the security. I've been in touch with the
> manufacturer of the routers and they inform me I've done all I can and it
> must be vista's problem, sigh, bang my head against the wall :-)
> ChrisC



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2006
Sooner Al \(MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
"ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:C75CBF53-AC5F-4B6F-9614-CEE37F266C9E@microsoft.com...
> Hi, has anyone managed to get these wireless security protocols to work?
> Mine works fine without but sulks and refuses to connect when enable, I've
> tried different routers, drivers, you name it, but it still refuses to
> connect until I switch off the security. I've been in touch with the
> manufacturer of the routers and they inform me I've done all I can and it
> must be vista's problem, sigh, bang my head against the wall :-)
> ChrisC



I use WPA-PSK (AES) with a long 63-character random ASCII on my Vista
Ultimate laptop running a Belkin F5D7010 card. In my case I have a Buffalo
WBR-G54 wireless access point/router running in an 802.11g only mode...

What wireless card, wireless access point/router and version of Vista are
you trying to use? That information may help others help you...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2006
ChrisC
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
Hi, and thx for all of your replies.
I'm using a D-LinkG624M wireless router, I've tried other D-Links, and I'm
running a RTL8187 wireless adaptor that comes with the P5WDH Deluxe
motherboard amd I've tried all of Realtek's adaptors. Version of Vista is
RTM.....

ChrisC
"Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:B5F2F0F8-D06E-4A98-8BCE-505B9801AD40@microsoft.com...
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:C75CBF53-AC5F-4B6F-9614-CEE37F266C9E@microsoft.com...
>> Hi, has anyone managed to get these wireless security protocols to work?
>> Mine works fine without but sulks and refuses to connect when enable,
>> I've tried different routers, drivers, you name it, but it still refuses
>> to connect until I switch off the security. I've been in touch with the
>> manufacturer of the routers and they inform me I've done all I can and it
>> must be vista's problem, sigh, bang my head against the wall :-)
>> ChrisC

>
>
> I use WPA-PSK (AES) with a long 63-character random ASCII on my Vista
> Ultimate laptop running a Belkin F5D7010 card. In my case I have a Buffalo
> WBR-G54 wireless access point/router running in an 802.11g only mode...
>
> What wireless card, wireless access point/router and version of Vista are
> you trying to use? That information may help others help you...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2006
ChrisC
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
Hi again, well I informed D-Link that some of you using Vista have had
success with wireless security and this is the answer I got:
"Thanks for that update. Could it be possible that your wireless card
(specifically, the Vista drivers for it) does not support encryption? Driver
support is also very important to consider. In any case, there isn't really
any other support we can give you on this issue, since as we mentioned
before, Vista is still in beta. Your computer is not able to connect to two
different routers with any form of encryption, so logic would dictate that
this is a computer issue."
Well it isn't a computer issue as this computer will connect fine under XP,
so that must leave driver issue...
ChrisC
"ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:58A80B99-3F04-4EC4-9FE3-46A7D14DFD76@microsoft.com...
> Hi, and thx for all of your replies.
> I'm using a D-LinkG624M wireless router, I've tried other D-Links, and I'm
> running a RTL8187 wireless adaptor that comes with the P5WDH Deluxe
> motherboard amd I've tried all of Realtek's adaptors. Version of Vista is
> RTM.....
>
> ChrisC
> "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:B5F2F0F8-D06E-4A98-8BCE-505B9801AD40@microsoft.com...
>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:C75CBF53-AC5F-4B6F-9614-CEE37F266C9E@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi, has anyone managed to get these wireless security protocols to work?
>>> Mine works fine without but sulks and refuses to connect when enable,
>>> I've tried different routers, drivers, you name it, but it still refuses
>>> to connect until I switch off the security. I've been in touch with the
>>> manufacturer of the routers and they inform me I've done all I can and
>>> it must be vista's problem, sigh, bang my head against the wall :-)
>>> ChrisC

>>
>>
>> I use WPA-PSK (AES) with a long 63-character random ASCII on my Vista
>> Ultimate laptop running a Belkin F5D7010 card. In my case I have a
>> Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless access point/router running in an 802.11g only
>> mode...
>>
>> What wireless card, wireless access point/router and version of Vista are
>> you trying to use? That information may help others help you...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights...
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2006
Sooner Al \(MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
"ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2FC01874-AD9F-47EB-9617-1794CAEA7F6E@microsoft.com...
> Hi again, well I informed D-Link that some of you using Vista have had
> success with wireless security and this is the answer I got:
> "Thanks for that update. Could it be possible that your wireless card
> (specifically, the Vista drivers for it) does not support encryption?
> Driver support is also very important to consider. In any case, there
> isn't really any other support we can give you on this issue, since as we
> mentioned before, Vista is still in beta. Your computer is not able to
> connect to two different routers with any form of encryption, so logic
> would dictate that this is a computer issue."
> Well it isn't a computer issue as this computer will connect fine under
> XP, so that must leave driver issue...
> ChrisC
>



It could very well be a driver issue for that particular RTL8187 hardware. I
was lucky since my Belkin F5D7010 had drivers built-in to Vista. Now my old
Linksys LNE100TX (v1) wired Ethernet card in my Vista desktop would not work
until I installed the latest drivers from Linksys. Those were for XP by the
way...

You might try these drivers that I found after a quick search for your
RTL8187 device...They may be the same...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_RT...P_d5165.ht ml
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NET...006-whql.shtml

I recommend creating a restore point prior to installing any of these...

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2006
ChrisC
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
HI, thx for that, I have tried many drivers, from Asus to Realtek, however
I'll give these a whirl...
ChrisC
"Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:14EDDE48-B3FD-44CC-8647-086DBEFD7DE8@microsoft.com...
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2FC01874-AD9F-47EB-9617-1794CAEA7F6E@microsoft.com...
>> Hi again, well I informed D-Link that some of you using Vista have had
>> success with wireless security and this is the answer I got:
>> "Thanks for that update. Could it be possible that your wireless card
>> (specifically, the Vista drivers for it) does not support encryption?
>> Driver support is also very important to consider. In any case, there
>> isn't really any other support we can give you on this issue, since as we
>> mentioned before, Vista is still in beta. Your computer is not able to
>> connect to two different routers with any form of encryption, so logic
>> would dictate that this is a computer issue."
>> Well it isn't a computer issue as this computer will connect fine under
>> XP, so that must leave driver issue...
>> ChrisC
>>

>
>
> It could very well be a driver issue for that particular RTL8187 hardware.
> I was lucky since my Belkin F5D7010 had drivers built-in to Vista. Now my
> old Linksys LNE100TX (v1) wired Ethernet card in my Vista desktop would
> not work until I installed the latest drivers from Linksys. Those were for
> XP by the way...
>
> You might try these drivers that I found after a quick search for your
> RTL8187 device...They may be the same...
>
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_RT...P_d5165.ht ml
> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NET...006-whql.shtml
>
> I recommend creating a restore point prior to installing any of these...
>
> Good luck...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2006
ChrisC
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
Hi, well I tried it, firstly there was no Vista specific driver, so I used
the XP one which it installed. Same old message though, 'cannot connect'.
Thanks for trying but I guess I'll wait until a non-beta version of the
driver comes out...
ChrisC
"ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
news5472A87-94FF-4EF3-8B1F-F7D542594C13@microsoft.com...
> HI, thx for that, I have tried many drivers, from Asus to Realtek, however
> I'll give these a whirl...
> ChrisC
> "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:14EDDE48-B3FD-44CC-8647-086DBEFD7DE8@microsoft.com...
>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:2FC01874-AD9F-47EB-9617-1794CAEA7F6E@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi again, well I informed D-Link that some of you using Vista have had
>>> success with wireless security and this is the answer I got:
>>> "Thanks for that update. Could it be possible that your wireless card
>>> (specifically, the Vista drivers for it) does not support encryption?
>>> Driver support is also very important to consider. In any case, there
>>> isn't really any other support we can give you on this issue, since as
>>> we mentioned before, Vista is still in beta. Your computer is not able
>>> to connect to two different routers with any form of encryption, so
>>> logic would dictate that this is a computer issue."
>>> Well it isn't a computer issue as this computer will connect fine under
>>> XP, so that must leave driver issue...
>>> ChrisC
>>>

>>
>>
>> It could very well be a driver issue for that particular RTL8187
>> hardware. I was lucky since my Belkin F5D7010 had drivers built-in to
>> Vista. Now my old Linksys LNE100TX (v1) wired Ethernet card in my Vista
>> desktop would not work until I installed the latest drivers from Linksys.
>> Those were for XP by the way...
>>
>> You might try these drivers that I found after a quick search for your
>> RTL8187 device...They may be the same...
>>
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_RT...P_d5165.ht ml
>> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NET...006-whql.shtml
>>
>> I recommend creating a restore point prior to installing any of these...
>>
>> Good luck...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights...
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2006
Michael Price
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
I have the same D-Link 624 and I am able to connect to it from 3 different
machines using both WEP and WPA. All three machines have some sort of Intel
WiFi Card in them and using the built in Vista drivers.


"ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:58A80B99-3F04-4EC4-9FE3-46A7D14DFD76@microsoft.com...
> Hi, and thx for all of your replies.
> I'm using a D-LinkG624M wireless router, I've tried other D-Links, and I'm
> running a RTL8187 wireless adaptor that comes with the P5WDH Deluxe
> motherboard amd I've tried all of Realtek's adaptors. Version of Vista is
> RTM.....
>
> ChrisC
> "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:B5F2F0F8-D06E-4A98-8BCE-505B9801AD40@microsoft.com...
>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:C75CBF53-AC5F-4B6F-9614-CEE37F266C9E@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi, has anyone managed to get these wireless security protocols to work?
>>> Mine works fine without but sulks and refuses to connect when enable,
>>> I've tried different routers, drivers, you name it, but it still refuses
>>> to connect until I switch off the security. I've been in touch with the
>>> manufacturer of the routers and they inform me I've done all I can and
>>> it must be vista's problem, sigh, bang my head against the wall :-)
>>> ChrisC

>>
>>
>> I use WPA-PSK (AES) with a long 63-character random ASCII on my Vista
>> Ultimate laptop running a Belkin F5D7010 card. In my case I have a
>> Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless access point/router running in an 802.11g only
>> mode...
>>
>> What wireless card, wireless access point/router and version of Vista are
>> you trying to use? That information may help others help you...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights...
>>

>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2006
ChrisC
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista & wireless wep/wpa
Hi, thanks Michael, that proves there is nothing wrong with the router or
Vista so it has too be the drivers. I've e-mailed Realtek about new drivers,
but, as of yet, after 3 days I still haven't had a reply...
ChrisC
"Michael Price" <EmJayPrice@msn.com> wrote in message
news:FAFCFB1D-A101-45F8-B002-398671711BEC@microsoft.com...
>I have the same D-Link 624 and I am able to connect to it from 3 different
>machines using both WEP and WPA. All three machines have some sort of Intel
>WiFi Card in them and using the built in Vista drivers.
>
>
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:58A80B99-3F04-4EC4-9FE3-46A7D14DFD76@microsoft.com...
>> Hi, and thx for all of your replies.
>> I'm using a D-LinkG624M wireless router, I've tried other D-Links, and
>> I'm running a RTL8187 wireless adaptor that comes with the P5WDH Deluxe
>> motherboard amd I've tried all of Realtek's adaptors. Version of Vista is
>> RTM.....
>>
>> ChrisC
>> "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:B5F2F0F8-D06E-4A98-8BCE-505B9801AD40@microsoft.com...
>>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(nospam).hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:C75CBF53-AC5F-4B6F-9614-CEE37F266C9E@microsoft.com...
>>>> Hi, has anyone managed to get these wireless security protocols to
>>>> work?
>>>> Mine works fine without but sulks and refuses to connect when enable,
>>>> I've tried different routers, drivers, you name it, but it still
>>>> refuses to connect until I switch off the security. I've been in touch
>>>> with the manufacturer of the routers and they inform me I've done all I
>>>> can and it must be vista's problem, sigh, bang my head against the wall
>>>> :-)
>>>> ChrisC
>>>
>>>
>>> I use WPA-PSK (AES) with a long 63-character random ASCII on my Vista
>>> Ultimate laptop running a Belkin F5D7010 card. In my case I have a
>>> Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless access point/router running in an 802.11g only
>>> mode...
>>>
>>> What wireless card, wireless access point/router and version of Vista
>>> are you trying to use? That information may help others help you...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>>> rights...
>>>

>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista just doesn't do it Papa microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 27 03-04-2007 08:42
Is Vista crippled by DRM? Eddie Bauer microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 03-03-2007 03:50
Remote Desktop Vista ---X----> Vista. Paul Bubbaski microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-02-2007 10:27
Vista backup question for MVPs Malcolm H microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 13 03-02-2007 05:36
Dave Pogue Reviews Vista in the NYT "Vista Wins on Looks. As for lacks..." Chad Harris microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 28 03-01-2007 20:46




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:57.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120