Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Upgraded from RC2 to RTM a week or so ago. Networking was working fine for a
week and then after a reboot the network is no longer accessible.

Network adapter reports: "Unidentified Network" and "Access: Local Only".
Trying to renew DHCP fails and the adapter gets assigned a private IP (169).
Disabling/reenabling the adapter makes no difference as does uninstalling and
re-installing it.

Also saw some posts elsewhere suggesting checksum issue (someone else who
had the problem ran a network sniffer and observed all outbound packets had
zero checksum) or power mode issue (Windows powering off the adapter when
entering low power mode and not resuming it) so I tried disabling both TCP/IP
checksum offload and also removing permission for Windows to power off the
adpater when entering sleep mode; neither resolved the issue. Saw another
post saying that putting the PC into sleep mode and then resuming temporarily
(until next reboot) solved the issue but this does not work for me either.

Adpter is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
v9.52.0.0, 15 May 2006.
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

RE: Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Hello? Anyone home at Microsoft? There have been at least a dozen posts in
this forum from people with the same network issue and not a single response
from a Microsoft MVP or the like.

"Dave Bonnell" wrote:

> Upgraded from RC2 to RTM a week or so ago. Networking was working fine for a
> week and then after a reboot the network is no longer accessible.
>
> Network adapter reports: "Unidentified Network" and "Access: Local Only".
> Trying to renew DHCP fails and the adapter gets assigned a private IP (169).
> Disabling/reenabling the adapter makes no difference as does uninstalling and
> re-installing it.
>
> Also saw some posts elsewhere suggesting checksum issue (someone else who
> had the problem ran a network sniffer and observed all outbound packets had
> zero checksum) or power mode issue (Windows powering off the adapter when
> entering low power mode and not resuming it) so I tried disabling both TCP/IP
> checksum offload and also removing permission for Windows to power off the
> adpater when entering sleep mode; neither resolved the issue. Saw another
> post saying that putting the PC into sleep mode and then resuming temporarily
> (until next reboot) solved the issue but this does not work for me either.
>
> Adpter is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> v9.52.0.0, 15 May 2006.

Barb Bowman

Re: Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Details on what exactly is serving DHCP (and network topology) would
help.
Also, anything in event viewer?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

Re: Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Hi Barb,

First off, thank you for answering. At least now I know my posts aren't
going into the proverbial bit bucket!

Everything was just peachy until after the reboot and nothing in my network
configuration has changed but to answer your question regarding network
configuration.

The PC in question is connected (wired) to a Linksys BEFSR41 router running
as a hub. The Linksys hub is in turn connected (wired) to a BT 1800HG DSL
router (rebranded 2Wire router) providing DHCP service to the LAN.

There are two other computers connected (wired) to the Linksys hub and two
other computers connected to the BT router (1 wired, 1 wireless).

Network access from all of the boxes is fine. Even networking on the box on
which I have installed Vista works fine WHEN the box boots Windows XP
Professional off a separate partition. When it boots Vista RTM networking is
dead.

Note that Vista reports that the router is on but is not responding and
suggests checking the firewall, further adding that if it is a Windows
firewall then I should check the SymNetDrv Firewall Filter
OUTBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4 setting.

Even though I knew it was barking up the wrong try I humored it and disabled
the Windows firewall on the Vista box as well as the firewall on the router
and was not surprised that this made no difference at all.

I'll post another reply in a minute with any relevant event log entries
after i've rebooted the box into Vista. (I'm posting from that box now,
booted into Win XP).

Dave Bonnell
Corporate Architect
BMC Software, Inc
http://www.bmc.com/

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Details on what exactly is serving DHCP (and network topology) would
> help.
> Also, anything in event viewer?
>
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 06:44:02 -0800, Dave Bonnell
> <DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello? Anyone home at Microsoft? There have been at least a dozen posts in
> >this forum from people with the same network issue and not a single response
> >from a Microsoft MVP or the like.
> >

> >"Dave Bonnell" wrote:
> >
> >> Upgraded from RC2 to RTM a week or so ago. Networking was working fine for a
> >> week and then after a reboot the network is no longer accessible.
> >>
> >> Network adapter reports: "Unidentified Network" and "Access: Local Only".
> >> Trying to renew DHCP fails and the adapter gets assigned a private IP (169).
> >> Disabling/reenabling the adapter makes no difference as does uninstalling and
> >> re-installing it.
> >>
> >> Also saw some posts elsewhere suggesting checksum issue (someone else who
> >> had the problem ran a network sniffer and observed all outbound packets had
> >> zero checksum) or power mode issue (Windows powering off the adapter when
> >> entering low power mode and not resuming it) so I tried disabling both TCP/IP
> >> checksum offload and also removing permission for Windows to power off the
> >> adpater when entering sleep mode; neither resolved the issue. Saw another
> >> post saying that putting the PC into sleep mode and then resuming temporarily
> >> (until next reboot) solved the issue but this does not work for me either.
> >>
> >> Adpter is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> >> v9.52.0.0, 15 May 2006.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

Re: Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Hi Barb,

I booted the box into Vista again, cleared all of the event logs and then
rebooted to get a fresh set of events. The only non-information events in
the logs where from NTP failing.

I then opened up System Information and it says that the adapter's driver is
stopped. Not much chance of things working if the driver isn't even running
I guess. Why it is stopped and how to get it started again I have no idea.
Its start mode is also Manual - not sure if that is normal.

I ran the network diagnosis tool, disabled/re-enabled the adapter but same
result. Nothing outstanding in the event logs from this action either.

-Dave

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Details on what exactly is serving DHCP (and network topology) would
> help.
> Also, anything in event viewer?
>
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 06:44:02 -0800, Dave Bonnell
> <DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello? Anyone home at Microsoft? There have been at least a dozen posts in
> >this forum from people with the same network issue and not a single response
> >from a Microsoft MVP or the like.
> >

> >"Dave Bonnell" wrote:
> >
> >> Upgraded from RC2 to RTM a week or so ago. Networking was working fine for a
> >> week and then after a reboot the network is no longer accessible.
> >>
> >> Network adapter reports: "Unidentified Network" and "Access: Local Only".
> >> Trying to renew DHCP fails and the adapter gets assigned a private IP (169).
> >> Disabling/reenabling the adapter makes no difference as does uninstalling and
> >> re-installing it.
> >>
> >> Also saw some posts elsewhere suggesting checksum issue (someone else who
> >> had the problem ran a network sniffer and observed all outbound packets had
> >> zero checksum) or power mode issue (Windows powering off the adapter when
> >> entering low power mode and not resuming it) so I tried disabling both TCP/IP
> >> checksum offload and also removing permission for Windows to power off the
> >> adpater when entering sleep mode; neither resolved the issue. Saw another
> >> post saying that putting the PC into sleep mode and then resuming temporarily
> >> (until next reboot) solved the issue but this does not work for me either.
> >>
> >> Adpter is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> >> v9.52.0.0, 15 May 2006.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
you posted earlier that the driver was "Adpter is a Broadcom
NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
v9.52.0.0, 15 May 2006"

seems like that is a fairly old driver. was this in the build? in
RTM? have you tried updating the driver?

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 07:55:00 -0800, Dave Bonnell
<DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Barb,
>
>I booted the box into Vista again, cleared all of the event logs and then
>rebooted to get a fresh set of events. The only non-information events in
>the logs where from NTP failing.
>
>I then opened up System Information and it says that the adapter's driver is
>stopped. Not much chance of things working if the driver isn't even running
>I guess. Why it is stopped and how to get it started again I have no idea.
>Its start mode is also Manual - not sure if that is normal.
>
>I ran the network diagnosis tool, disabled/re-enabled the adapter but same
>result. Nothing outstanding in the event logs from this action either.
>

>-Dave
>

>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Details on what exactly is serving DHCP (and network topology) would
>> help.
>> Also, anything in event viewer?
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 06:44:02 -0800, Dave Bonnell
>> <DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello? Anyone home at Microsoft? There have been at least a dozen posts in
>> >this forum from people with the same network issue and not a single response
>> >from a Microsoft MVP or the like.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

Re: Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Hi Barb,

No, that driver was not part of the RTM image nor available on Windows
Update. I downloaded it separately from Broadcom's web site. (Ditto for
SATA raid drivers). That was the latest driver available at the time (and as
I said, worked fine for Beta 2, RC2 and even RTM for a while before it
suddenly stopped) but I see there is an update (11/01/2006) which i'll pull
down and try now.

-Dave

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> you posted earlier that the driver was "Adpter is a Broadcom
> NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> v9.52.0.0, 15 May 2006"
>
> seems like that is a fairly old driver. was this in the build? in
> RTM? have you tried updating the driver?
>
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 07:55:00 -0800, Dave Bonnell
> <DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Barb,
> >
> >I booted the box into Vista again, cleared all of the event logs and then
> >rebooted to get a fresh set of events. The only non-information events in
> >the logs where from NTP failing.
> >
> >I then opened up System Information and it says that the adapter's driver is
> >stopped. Not much chance of things working if the driver isn't even running
> >I guess. Why it is stopped and how to get it started again I have no idea.
> >Its start mode is also Manual - not sure if that is normal.
> >
> >I ran the network diagnosis tool, disabled/re-enabled the adapter but same
> >result. Nothing outstanding in the event logs from this action either.
> >

> >-Dave
> >

> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> Details on what exactly is serving DHCP (and network topology) would
> >> help.
> >> Also, anything in event viewer?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

Re: Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
I just installed the latest driver from Broadcom's web site ...
xp_2k3_32-9.81d (service=b57w2k, driver=b57xp32.sys), v9.81.0.0, 11/10/2006.
No change ... network still "Unidentified Network" with "Access: Local Only"
after rebooting and System Information still reports that the b57w2k service
is "Stopped".

-Dave

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> you posted earlier that the driver was "Adpter is a Broadcom
> NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> v9.52.0.0, 15 May 2006"
>
> seems like that is a fairly old driver. was this in the build? in
> RTM? have you tried updating the driver?
>
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 07:55:00 -0800, Dave Bonnell
> <DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Barb,
> >
> >I booted the box into Vista again, cleared all of the event logs and then
> >rebooted to get a fresh set of events. The only non-information events in
> >the logs where from NTP failing.
> >
> >I then opened up System Information and it says that the adapter's driver is
> >stopped. Not much chance of things working if the driver isn't even running
> >I guess. Why it is stopped and how to get it started again I have no idea.
> >Its start mode is also Manual - not sure if that is normal.
> >
> >I ran the network diagnosis tool, disabled/re-enabled the adapter but same
> >result. Nothing outstanding in the event logs from this action either.
> >

> >-Dave
> >

> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> Details on what exactly is serving DHCP (and network topology) would
> >> help.
> >> Also, anything in event viewer?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

snnoopy

Dave Bonnell;120601 Wrote:
> Upgraded from RC2 to RTM a week or so ago. Networking was working fine
> for a
> week and then after a reboot the network is no longer accessible.
>
> Network adapter reports: "Unidentified Network" and "Access: Local
> Only".
> Trying to renew DHCP fails and the adapter gets assigned a private IP
> (169).
> Disabling/reenabling the adapter makes no difference as does
> uninstalling and
> re-installing it.
>
> Also saw some posts elsewhere suggesting checksum issue (someone else
> who
> had the problem ran a network sniffer and observed all outbound packets
> had
> zero checksum) or power mode issue (Windows powering off the adapter
> when
> entering low power mode and not resuming it) so I tried disabling both
> TCP/IP
> checksum offload and also removing permission for Windows to power off
> the
> adpater when entering sleep mode; neither resolved the issue. Saw
> another
> post saying that putting the PC into sleep mode and then resuming
> temporarily
> (until next reboot) solved the issue but this does not work for me
> either.
>
> Adpter is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is
> b57xp32.sys,
> v9.52.0.0, 15 May 2006.

THE FIX EVERYONE IS LOOKING FOR:
I too had the same problem. Out of the blue one day I could no longer
connect to the Internet. I was locally connected to the router only and
had an unidentified network.

Here's the fix:
You must be sure that your network is Private. Go to Control Panel,
Network and Sharing Center. Find your router and see where it says
(public network)? you must change this to Private. There is blue print
to the far right of the icon for your rounter and it says Customize.
Click on Customize and select Private. Then close out.

Next, go to (same box) in case you closed it out, Control Panel,
Network and Sharing Center. Under the router name, Connection, to the
right of Connection you see Wireless Network Connection (name of
router), then to the right of that you see in blue letters View status.
Click on View status. the Wireless Network Connection Status box
appears. At the bottom of the box there is a box for Properties, click
on it (NOT WIRELESS PROPERTIES). Under the Networking tab highlight
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties. Under
the General tab, select Obtain an IP address Automatically, Obtain DNS
server address automatically. Select OK and reboot IMMEDIATELY.

When it boots back up you may already have the internet, or you may be
asked to decide on a Private, or Public...select Private.

Just to explain why I mentioned the last above: My computer connected
immediately after reboot, my husbands computer asked if I wanted a
Private or Public.

Best of luck to all with this problem, Elaine

--
snnoopy
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

Re: Networking DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Thanks for the info ... a little late for me but hopefully it will save
somebody else the pain of a complete re-install of Vista, which is what I
ended up doing after hitting a brick wall here 3 months ago.

-Dave