Re: New Community Column: Windows Vista Home Networking

=?Utf-8?B?cGNiaWtlcg==?=

Re: New Community Column: Windows Vista Home Networking
Barb, I appreciate your help so far. Here's what I found:

1. On Vista, I have the network set Private, and the workgroup name set
(apparently) correctly. I say "apparently" because the Network page show the
workgroup ALL CAPS (as it is in XP), but the network status tooltip (lower
r.h. corner of screen) show the name as Initial Cap only. Probably not
significant, but I want you to know what I see.

2. I installed the LLTP service on one of the XP machines (which still has
Netbios & uPnP disabled). That machine (among the 5 XP machines on my
workgroup) now shows up on the network map. BTW, that machine runs XP Pro;
the other 4 run XP Home.

3. I stll haven't figure out how to access any of the shaed folders on the
XP Pro/LLTP machine. When I double-click on the machine of the nework map,
nothing happens. When I type in "//machine name/foldername" on the Run box,
I get "folder inaccessable" error message.

4. I haven't found any way in Vista to see, or access, the other 4 XP
machines at all. How should I do this? Or, stated differently, what I am
not seeing on Vista that I should see?

5. The Linux file server runs Samba, and is designated as the workgroup
browse master. I did this because the server runs 24/7, and so my family
will never have to wait for a workgroup master-browser election. And it
works properly with the XP machines. Would this be making a difference to
Vista?

6. The server also has a fixed IP address. Vista will not access this
machine or its shared folders, even by IP address or by name.

By way of personal background, I'm a professional computer consultant,
specializing in XP machines, with occasional forays into Win 2000 and older
versions of Windows. My clients tell me I'm pretty good at this, so you can
assume that I am at least generally representative of actual field
technicians who will be dealing with Vista. If I can't make a mixed Vista/XP
workgroup function, after consulting the online help and Googling things like
mad, then it might be reasonable to conclude that (a) I've overlooked
something obvious, or (b) Vista and its documentation leaves much to be
desired in terms of workgroup support.

I would hope that (a) is the correct conclusion; and I hope that you can
lead me to the resolution of my workgroup problem. After all, I've made
stupid errors in the past (as have we all), and expect to make a few in the
future.

Barb Bowman

Re: New Community Column: Windows Vista Home Networking
are you using password protected sharing on all the XP computers? or
are you relying on the guest account (see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/300489 )

I'm still curious as to why you think disabling UPnP and Netbios
over TCP/IP when you are behind a router is a security risk.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
=?Utf-8?B?cGNiaWtlcg==?=

Re: New Community Column: Windows Vista Home Networking
Here are the sharing privileges:

XP Pro - Guest off, shared folders have unrestricted read set at the ACL
level.
XP Home - Guest off, folders shared for read/wirite access, but these
computers mainly are sharing clients.
Linux - Shared folders have full read/write access.

Note that this configuration works perfectly for XP machines - the question
here is what else does Vista require?

I turn Netbios & uPnP off because that is recommended as a security
improvement. It may not be necessary if the router's firewall does its job
and all other local machines remain secure, but (a) as a computer consultant,
I see lots of different computers (some with routers and some without), and
so I run NETBIOS & uPnP off on all machines, all the time, automatically; and
(b) even if the machines are behind this router today, they might not always
be (under a variety of scenarios).

Could you answer the following questions 3-5 from my prior post - which I
feel are the crux of the problem - or perhaps refer my issues to someone who
can?

3. I still haven't figure out how to access any of the shaed folders on the
XP Pro/LLTP machine. When I double-click on the machine of the nework map,
nothing happens. When I type in "//machine name/foldername" on the Run box,
I get "folder inaccessable" error message.

4. I haven't found any way in Vista to see, or access, the other 4 XP
machines at all. How should I do this? Or, stated differently, what I am
not seeing on Vista that I should see?

5. The Linux file server runs Samba, and is designated as the workgroup
browse master. I did this because the server runs 24/7, and so my family
will never have to wait for a workgroup master-browser election. And it
works properly with the XP machines. Would this be making a difference to
Vista?

From an XP user's viewpoint, the problem with Vista is that there is no
"Network Neighborhood" icon or "Network" icon within Windows Explorer. So to
the user, there is no obvious place where one can go to see any
representation of the other workgroup computers.

Barb Bowman

Re: New Community Column: Windows Vista Home Networking

3. I missed that you were trying to access the shares from the start
menu in Vista (or from run in Vista). Can you try this on the Vista
box.

right click nextwork on the Start menu
select Explore - do you see the other computers?
- if yes, when you double click one of them do you see the shares
- if no, along the top there are listings for Name, Category,
Workgroup, etc. Workgroup is a drop down. Are your other computers
in a different workgroup? Can you select it? Can you access shares?

4. mostly coverd in 3 above

5. anything in event viewer on the Vista machine mention master
browser election failure?

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:39:00 -0800, pcbiker