Private and public networks

Philip Nicholls

Private and public networks
I've just about finished playing with Vista RC1 and I have a couple of
questions.

I run a small home networking using an older dlink 704P router
connected to an RCA cable modem provided by Roadrunner. I have set up
all computers to use a workgroup called STUDY in XP.

Vista RC1 seems convinced I'm on a public network, even though I have
set up a private network. I suspect this is because it's having
problems communicating with the DHCP server in my router. The only
way I can get it to go into private network mode is to manually set
the gateway and ip address for the computer as if it were a static IP.

Even with this setting it begins with a public network and switches to
the private network after about 45 sec to a minute.

I have also noticed that each time I boot to Vista the workgroup name
is changed back to WORKGROUP and the Network ID still seems to think
I'm on a buisness network. I change these settings, reboot and they
go right back to what they were before.

Can anyone explain this or is it just an RC1 bug that "will be fixed
in the final version?"

=?Utf-8?B?SklL?=

RE: Private and public networks

I've just installed the release of Vista Ultimate from MSDN and have the
same problems... And it seams that Win Vista have problems getting an IP
address from the network...

HELP!

"Philip Nicholls" wrote:

> I've just about finished playing with Vista RC1 and I have a couple of
> questions.
>
> I run a small home networking using an older dlink 704P router
> connected to an RCA cable modem provided by Roadrunner. I have set up
> all computers to use a workgroup called STUDY in XP.
>
> Vista RC1 seems convinced I'm on a public network, even though I have
> set up a private network. I suspect this is because it's having
> problems communicating with the DHCP server in my router. The only
> way I can get it to go into private network mode is to manually set
> the gateway and ip address for the computer as if it were a static IP.
>
> Even with this setting it begins with a public network and switches to
> the private network after about 45 sec to a minute.
>
> I have also noticed that each time I boot to Vista the workgroup name
> is changed back to WORKGROUP and the Network ID still seems to think
> I'm on a buisness network. I change these settings, reboot and they
> go right back to what they were before.
>
> Can anyone explain this or is it just an RC1 bug that "will be fixed
> in the final version?"

RushB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same Problem
Having the same problem here with Ultimate - no one has any idea how to fix it?

Thanks,
RushB
Mick Murphy

Re: Private and public networks
What is the problem?

"RushB" wrote:

> Having the same problem here with Ultimate - no one has any idea how to
> fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> RushB
>

> --
> RushB

RushB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Private to Public network
Vista Ultimate keeps changing my private network to a public network.

My situation is a little different - I connect to a wireless network for Internet, and I have a wired network inside my house. My computer acts at the router between my local wired 192.X network to the 10.X network where I get the Internet.

No matter what I do, it wants my local wired network to be Public. I can set it to Private, and Vista will change it back.

Later,
RushB
Mick Murphy

Re: Private and public networks
http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/21/h...r-using-vista/

For your wired in Home Network; it should be set to Private.
Public is the setting for WiFi hotspots.(wireless lie coffee shops,
airports; thus increased security)

The following is for home Networking.

Sorry I am not more helpful; I hope it puts you on the right path.

How to give Permissions are there, too.
If you are running Norton, etc’s Firewall, check its settings.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)