Why doesn't Vista see other machines?

Brett

Why doesn't Vista see other machines?
I have a small home network that runs through a router. Vista only sees
itself in Windows Explorer network section. If I typed in \\computername in
Windows Explorer, that particular machine will show up under the network
section. However, that same machine doesn't automatically appear in the
network section when I close/reopen Windows Explorer. The other machines on
the network are
- XP SP2 with Link-Layer Topology Discover Responder installed.
- A NAS running NT 4.5.

The Vista machine can ping both of the above fine and access as I mentioned.
I just want them to always show up under the Network section.

Also, when I click Network in Windows Explorer on the Vista machine, it
takes a few seconds for anything to appear. On my XP machine, this happens
almost instantly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brett

Steve Urbach

Re: Why doesn't Vista see other machines?
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 10:38:09 -0800, "Brett" <public_at_cygen_dot_com>
wrote:

>I have a small home network that runs through a router. Vista only sees
>itself in Windows Explorer network section. If I typed in \\computername in
>Windows Explorer, that particular machine will show up under the network
>section. However, that same machine doesn't automatically appear in the
>network section when I close/reopen Windows Explorer. The other machines on
>the network are
>- XP SP2 with Link-Layer Topology Discover Responder installed.
>- A NAS running NT 4.5.
>
>The Vista machine can ping both of the above fine and access as I mentioned.
>I just want them to always show up under the Network section.
>
>Also, when I click Network in Windows Explorer on the Vista machine, it
>takes a few seconds for anything to appear. On my XP machine, this happens
>almost instantly.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Brett

Do you have the SAME workgroup name?
Share enabled (just checking :0 ) on the XP machine?

No problems here seeing others (98SE, W2K sp4, XP pro SP2) in any CPP
x86 release. Only thing I don't see is my IPX based Netware 4.2 server
and that is a known *not ever being Supported* :-/ device.

Brett

Re: Why doesn't Vista see other machines?
> Do you have the SAME workgroup name?
> Share enabled (just checking :0 ) on the XP machine?

Yes - certain folders are shared if that is what you mean. Permissions on
these folders are set to allow "Everyone" access.

I can map to a shared folder on the Vista machine and it will always appear.
But the machine I'm mapping to doesn't appear in the network section.

Brett

Brett

Re: Why doesn't Vista see other machines?
I've installed a wireless network card on the Vista machine and it connects
with the wireless network. Now all devices show in the Network section.
Guess it wasn't on the right network the whole time. But why was it able to
see machines when I'd type in \\computername?

Not sure why the NAS is showing up now in the Network section since it is
connected to the router by a LAN cable.

Brett

Steve Urbach

Re: Why doesn't Vista see other machines?
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 11:44:02 -0800, "Brett" <public_at_cygen_dot_com>
wrote:

New Question: Did you see this (XP) machine BEFORE you installed Vista
on the current machine?

>> Do you have the SAME workgroup name?
>> Share enabled (just checking :0 ) on the XP machine?

Not completely.

Is "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks" enabled on the
Network adapter AND allowed through the firewall?

>Yes - certain folders are shared if that is what you mean. Permissions on
>these folders are set to allow "Everyone" access.
>
>I can map to a shared folder on the Vista machine and it will always appear.
>But the machine I'm mapping to doesn't appear in the network section.
>
>Brett

Otherwise: "Got me stumped" ; :/