Problem accessing shared Folders/Printers with Vista VPN

randys

Problem accessing shared Folders/Printers with Vista VPN
My problem: I cannot access any of my Desktop PC's shared folders or printers
from my Laptop over the VPN connection.

Details: I have a Vista 32-bit Desktop PC set up as a VPN Server using
built-in Vista software. I have a Vista 32-bit Laptop PC set up as a VPN
Client using built-in Vista software. I connect the Vista server directly to
my DSL Modem (Speedstream 4100 B). I have disabled Windows firewall on both,
and have run msconfig on both to disable all startup applications and all
non-Windows services.
I have successfully established a VPN connection between the two PC's.

When I browse the Network from my Laptop, I only see the Laptop PC; I do NOT
see the desktop PC. When I attempt to map a network drive, I specify
\\desktopPCname\sharefolder, I get an error "The network path
\\desktopPCname\sharefolder could not be found."

On the desktop PC I have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
checked in the Incoming Connections Properties. These folders and Printers
have been shared successfully to other PC's on my home network for months. I
also have "Allow callers to access my local area network" checked in Incoming
IP Properties. The Laptop PC is assigned the IP Address of "192.168.1.101".
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank. The
Desktop PC has an IP Address of 76.229.X.X.

Please HELP!

Re: Problem accessing shared Folders/Printers with Vista VPN

> Subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank.
> The

If this subnet is true u blocked all the IP's trie to set the subnet to
255.255.255.252, and the ip's to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 (Laptop, PC)
Ciao

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Problem accessing shared Folders/Printers with Vista VPN
Sounds like name resolution issue. Can you ping the VPN server private IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"randys" <randys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My problem: I cannot access any of my Desktop PC's shared folders or
> printers
> from my Laptop over the VPN connection.
>
> Details: I have a Vista 32-bit Desktop PC set up as a VPN Server using
> built-in Vista software. I have a Vista 32-bit Laptop PC set up as a VPN
> Client using built-in Vista software. I connect the Vista server directly
> my DSL Modem (Speedstream 4100 B). I have disabled Windows firewall on
> both,
> and have run msconfig on both to disable all startup applications and all
> non-Windows services.
> I have successfully established a VPN connection between the two PC's.
>
> When I browse the Network from my Laptop, I only see the Laptop PC; I do
> NOT
> see the desktop PC. When I attempt to map a network drive, I specify
> \\desktopPCname\sharefolder, I get an error "The network path
> \\desktopPCname\sharefolder could not be found."
>
> On the desktop PC I have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
> checked in the Incoming Connections Properties. These folders and Printers
> have been shared successfully to other PC's on my home network for months.
> also have "Allow callers to access my local area network" checked in
> Incoming
> IP Properties. The Laptop PC is assigned the IP Address of
> "192.168.1.101".
> Subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank.
> The
> Desktop PC has an IP Address of 76.229.X.X.
>
> Please HELP!

randys

Re: Problem accessing shared Folders/Printers with Vista VPN
Yes, I can. How do I resolve the name resolution issue? I'm using dyndns for
the host name resolution, which is working well. How does a remote computer
learn of the name of the host server's shares?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Sounds like name resolution issue. Can you ping the VPN server private IP?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "randys" <randys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My problem: I cannot access any of my Desktop PC's shared folders or
> > printers
> > from my Laptop over the VPN connection.
> >
> > Details: I have a Vista 32-bit Desktop PC set up as a VPN Server using
> > built-in Vista software. I have a Vista 32-bit Laptop PC set up as a VPN
> > Client using built-in Vista software. I connect the Vista server directly
> > my DSL Modem (Speedstream 4100 B). I have disabled Windows firewall on
> > both,
> > and have run msconfig on both to disable all startup applications and all
> > non-Windows services.
> > I have successfully established a VPN connection between the two PC's.
> >
> > When I browse the Network from my Laptop, I only see the Laptop PC; I do
> > NOT
> > see the desktop PC. When I attempt to map a network drive, I specify
> > \\desktopPCname\sharefolder, I get an error "The network path
> > \\desktopPCname\sharefolder could not be found."
> >
> > On the desktop PC I have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
> > checked in the Incoming Connections Properties. These folders and Printers
> > have been shared successfully to other PC's on my home network for months.
> > also have "Allow callers to access my local area network" checked in
> > Incoming
> > IP Properties. The Laptop PC is assigned the IP Address of
> > "192.168.1.101".
> > Subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank.
> > The
> > Desktop PC has an IP Address of 76.229.X.X.
> >
> > Please HELP!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Problem accessing shared Folders/Printers with Vista VPN
You may have many options. If you have domain network, you may want to setup
WINS. These search results may help too.

Name resolution on VPN
Name resolution is big issue in VPN access. If your VPN server doesn't
setup correctly or the VPN client can't receive the VPN DNS and WINS
settings, ...
www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm - Similar pages

VPN name resolution and browsing
Q: VPN name resolution and browsing. After I successfully connect to
the VPN Server remotely, I cannot browse the network, and see other
computers and ...
www.chicagotech.net/Q&A/vpn1.htm

--

> Yes, I can. How do I resolve the name resolution issue? I'm using dyndns
> for
> the host name resolution, which is working well. How does a remote
> computer
> learn of the name of the host server's shares?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Sounds like name resolution issue. Can you ping the VPN server private
>> IP?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "randys" <randys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My problem: I cannot access any of my Desktop PC's shared folders or
>> > printers
>> > from my Laptop over the VPN connection.
>> >
>> > Details: I have a Vista 32-bit Desktop PC set up as a VPN Server using
>> > built-in Vista software. I have a Vista 32-bit Laptop PC set up as a
>> > VPN
>> > Client using built-in Vista software. I connect the Vista server
>> > directly
>> > my DSL Modem (Speedstream 4100 B). I have disabled Windows firewall on
>> > both,
>> > and have run msconfig on both to disable all startup applications and
>> > all
>> > non-Windows services.
>> > I have successfully established a VPN connection between the two PC's.
>> >
>> > When I browse the Network from my Laptop, I only see the Laptop PC; I
>> > do
>> > NOT
>> > see the desktop PC. When I attempt to map a network drive, I specify
>> > \\desktopPCname\sharefolder, I get an error "The network path
>> > \\desktopPCname\sharefolder could not be found."
>> >
>> > On the desktop PC I have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
>> > Networks"
>> > checked in the Incoming Connections Properties. These folders and
>> > Printers
>> > have been shared successfully to other PC's on my home network for
>> > months.
>> > also have "Allow callers to access my local area network" checked in
>> > Incoming
>> > IP Properties. The Laptop PC is assigned the IP Address of
>> > "192.168.1.101".
>> > Subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. Connection-specific DNS Suffix is
>> > blank.
>> > The
>> > Desktop PC has an IP Address of 76.229.X.X.
>> >
>> > Please HELP!

randys

Re: Problem accessing shared Folders/Printers with Vista VPN
Robert - thank you for your responses. I know I'm close but just need a
little more to get this working.

I don't have a domain network. I tried adding DNS server addresses to the
vpn client, but wasn't sure which DNS addresses they need? Is it the DNS
address of the server DSL modem looking outside (i.e. 151.164.8.201,
66.73.20.40)? Or the DNS of the home router (192.168.0.1) - which it is
already at? It makes sense that the home router would resolve the share names?

Is it a problem that the gateway address on the vpn client is 0.0.0.0?

One other bit of information: after I connect via VPN, I cannot ping my
*.dyndns.org address from the vpn client, yet I can ping by IP. And I can
ping *.dyndns.org before I connect VPN.

Thanks again for your help.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You may have many options. If you have domain network, you may want to setup
> WINS. These search results may help too.
>
> Name resolution on VPN
> Name resolution is big issue in VPN access. If your VPN server doesn't
> setup correctly or the VPN client can't receive the VPN DNS and WINS
> settings, ...
> www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm - Similar pages
>
> VPN name resolution and browsing
> Q: VPN name resolution and browsing. After I successfully connect to
> the VPN Server remotely, I cannot browse the network, and see other
> computers and ...
> www.chicagotech.net/Q&A/vpn1.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "randys" <randys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I can. How do I resolve the name resolution issue? I'm using dyndns
> > for
> > the host name resolution, which is working well. How does a remote
> > computer
> > learn of the name of the host server's shares?
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds like name resolution issue. Can you ping the VPN server private
> >> IP?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Problem accessing shared Folders/Printers with Vista VPN
Try home router IP as DNS.