Can't change network properties

Chris Blunt

Can't change network properties
My system seems to have developed a problem recently which has
resulted in me not being able to change any of my Local Area
Connection settings. If I right-click on "Local Area Connection" and
choose "Properties", I can see the various items listed, but the
"Properties" button for everything there is grayed-out. Also, I can't
change the check boxes next to any item there. If I click on the
"Install" button and attempt to add a protocol I get an error message
"Could not add the requested feature. The error is: The data is
invalid"

This problem seems to be confined to those connections listed under
"LAN or High-Speed Internet". Dial-Up connections are not affected in
this way.

I've tried doing a System Restore to a point several days ago, but it
makes no difference. The problem is I'm not really sure how long its
been like this, so not sure what changes made to the system might have
caused it. I've also tried reinstalling the motherboard drivers which
include those for the networking adapter.

Chris
Wescu

Re: Can't change network properties

I have the same problem. Does anyone know solution for this??

-Wescu-

--
Wescu
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't change network properties
We need more information to help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Wescu" <Wescu.32olgz@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have the same problem. Does anyone know solution for this??
>
> -Wescu-
>

> --
> Wescu

Wescu

Re: Can't change network properties

Won't work and after that Vista is reporting missin' file when
installing network device again. And you can't install the device at
all. Have to use restore point. Any other ideas??

Ps. Chris, did you get it fixed??

-W-

--
Wescu
Chris Blunt

Re: Can't change network properties
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 17:25:54 -0600, Wescu
<Wescu.32ql01@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>Won't work and after that Vista is reporting missin' file when
>installing network device again. And you can't install the device at
>all. Have to use restore point. Any other ideas??
>
>Ps. Chris, did you get it fixed??

I eventually did a system restore to take me back to a point before
the problem happened. I never did find out what the problem was caused
by, or any other way to fix it.

Chris
Paisan

RE: Can't change network properties

I have the same problem.
It happen with my Fujitsu note book on the LAN connection.
When I try to change the Properties of protocol IP V4 or V6 the properties
bottun is disable.

Pls help

Paisansang@upfront

"Chris Blunt" wrote:

> My system seems to have developed a problem recently which has
> resulted in me not being able to change any of my Local Area
> Connection settings. If I right-click on "Local Area Connection" and
> choose "Properties", I can see the various items listed, but the
> "Properties" button for everything there is grayed-out. Also, I can't
> change the check boxes next to any item there. If I click on the
> "Install" button and attempt to add a protocol I get an error message
> "Could not add the requested feature. The error is: The data is
> invalid"
>
> This problem seems to be confined to those connections listed under
> "LAN or High-Speed Internet". Dial-Up connections are not affected in
> this way.
>
> I've tried doing a System Restore to a point several days ago, but it
> makes no difference. The problem is I'm not really sure how long its
> been like this, so not sure what changes made to the system might have
> caused it. I've also tried reinstalling the motherboard drivers which
> include those for the networking adapter.
>
> Chris

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't change network properties
In many cases, this is 3rd party software issue. For troubleshooting, start
the Vista with clean boot. Please post back with the result.

Windows generalHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows
Safe Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort
programs in Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm