VPN, Vista and Network Drives

Jason Cavett

VPN, Vista and Network Drives
I am on a Vista machine and I am connecting to a network via VPN. I
authenticate properly and I am able to connect to the network (as in,
I can connect to internal sites). However, when I go to browse
network drives, a couple weird things happen.

1. I open the Run dialog box and type the top of the drive path: \
\path Immediately, I get a pop-up window asking for my login name and
password. This seems odd to me because I'm already on the network via
VPN. But, I type in my DOMAIN\username and my password.

2. Things seem to verify okay. I am able to connect to the network
path and I start browsing it. I go through the path \\path\to\my\home
\directory - I can browse the entire tree...except I cannot open the
last folder (directory in this case). I am given the message:

--
\\path\to\my\home\directory is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrators

Login failure: Unknown user name or bad password.
--

I definitely have permissions (it's my home directory). I also am
using the right user name and password. I am completely stumped as to

Thanks

Jeffrey Randow

Re: VPN, Vista and Network Drives
1 is expected unless the resources you are trying to access exist on
the VPN server. I set up a default password for *.mydomain.local in
my "Manage Your Network Passwords" box (depending on your version of
Vista, you may or may not have this option).

Do you have access to the server side? What error is being logged to
the Security log on the file server. I'm curious as to which username
is being passed to the server in this scenario.
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006