Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup

smoddelm

Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
After conquering the numerous Vista / XP networking and file sharing issues
many months ago when I bought my first Vista laptop, I have a new problem:

When I "explore" the default workgroup, of which all of my computers are a
member (I have double-checked), in My Network Places on any of my XP
machines, I no longer see my Vista computer listed. I can type the Vista
computer name in the address bar ("\\Vistmach") and it is then listed as
being in the workgroup, after a brief delay, along with all of the XP
computers. I have no problems file sharing, mapping drives, etc. -- just
this problem browsing to it. As soon as I exit exploring and then re-explore
My Network Places, the Vista machine once again is not listed.

Exploring on the Vista machine is not a problem; the Vista computer and all
of the XP computers are shown as being in the workgroup and can be browsed.

Didn't use to be this way. Maybe it started with a security update? Any
suggestions?

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:32:03 -0800, smoddelm <smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>After conquering the numerous Vista / XP networking and file sharing issues
>many months ago when I bought my first Vista laptop, I have a new problem:
>
>When I "explore" the default workgroup, of which all of my computers are a
>member (I have double-checked), in My Network Places on any of my XP
>machines, I no longer see my Vista computer listed. I can type the Vista
>computer name in the address bar ("\\Vistmach") and it is then listed as
>being in the workgroup, after a brief delay, along with all of the XP
>computers. I have no problems file sharing, mapping drives, etc. -- just
>this problem browsing to it. As soon as I exit exploring and then re-explore
>My Network Places, the Vista machine once again is not listed.
>
>Exploring on the Vista machine is not a problem; the Vista computer and all
>of the XP computers are shown as being in the workgroup and can be browsed.
>
>Didn't use to be this way. Maybe it started with a security update? Any
>suggestions?

You have a problem with browser SMBs. This is generally a personal firewall, or
NetBT, problem.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

You may be able to diagnose the problem, with logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
smoddelm

Re: Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
Via browstat I learned that my master browser is now the SimpleTech network
storage drive I bought a month or 2 ago:

Status for domain MODHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{61114AB8-4C9B-436C-B7A0-C1A4984D2B44}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: NETWORKDRIVE
Could not open key in registry, error = -1073741809 Unable to
determine build of browser master: -1073741809
\\\\NETWORKDRIVE . Version:04.09 Flags: 9a03 NT SERVER
1 backup servers retrieved from master NETWORKDRIVE
\\NETWORKDRIVE
There are 2 servers in domain MODHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{61114AB8-4C9B-436C-B7A0-C1A4984D2B44}
There are 1 domains in domain MODHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{61114AB8-4C9B-436C-B7A0-C1A4984D2B44}

If I turn the network drive off, my only desktop, which I had set a long
time ago to be the master browser, becomes the master browser and the Vista
computer then becomes visible to the XP computers. If I turn the network
drive back on, it soon takes over again.

I have been through all the options on the network storage drive and don't
see any way to prevent it from taking over as master browser. Any ideas? I
would buy a new network storage drive and trash the Simple Tech if I knew
that another drive would behave differently.

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 07:51:03 -0800, smoddelm <smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> [...]

> 1 backup servers retrieved from master NETWORKDRIVE
> \\NETWORKDRIVE
> There are 2 servers in domain MODHOME on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{61114AB8-4C9B-436C-B7A0-C1A4984D2B44}
> There are 1 domains in domain MODHOME on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{61114AB8-4C9B-436C-B7A0-C1A4984D2B44}
>
>If I turn the network drive off, my only desktop, which I had set a long
>time ago to be the master browser, becomes the master browser and the Vista
>computer then becomes visible to the XP computers. If I turn the network
>drive back on, it soon takes over again.
>
>I have been through all the options on the network storage drive and don't
>see any way to prevent it from taking over as master browser. Any ideas? I
>would buy a new network storage drive and trash the Simple Tech if I knew
>that another drive would behave differently.

Which computer do you prefer as master browser? Make that decision first. Then
reset the problem.

1) Power all computers off.
2) Power the master browser computer on, and bring it up and online. It will
elect itself master browser. Give this about 1/2 hour.
3) Power all other computers, and the network drive, up and bring them online.
4) Run "browstat status" on all computers, and compare.

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
smoddelm

Re: Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
I did as you suggested. Shut all computers down, then booted the computer I
want to be master browser (my XP desktop). I left it on for about an hour.
Ran browstat on it and it was the master browser. Booted other computers and
the network storage drive. Worked fine for a while.

I subsequently had to reboot the XP desktop (software update). Network
drive more or less immediately took over as master browser. The only
"solution" I can think of is to shut down the network drive whenever I need
to reboot the desktop and leave it off until the desktop has re-established
itself as master browser. Probably will need to shut down all other machines
too -- at one point in all my trials, my Vista laptop took over as master
browser. I would really like a way around this -- seems like I shouldn't
have to shut down everything every time I need to reboot my desktop. And of
course it wouldn't matter if the network drive could list the Vistat laptop
-- it is able to list all the XP computers. Any suggestions on how to make
this happen?

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 07:51:03 -0800, smoddelm <smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> >> You have a problem with browser SMBs. This is generally a personal firewall, or
> >> NetBT, problem.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
> >>
> >> You may be able to diagnose the problem, with logs from "browstat status",
> >> "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
> >> computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
> >> precisely (download browstat!):
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

> >Via browstat I learned that my master browser is now the SimpleTech network
> >storage drive I bought a month or 2 ago:
> >
> >Status for domain MODHOME on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{61114AB8-4C9B-436C-B7A0-C1A4984D2B44}
> > Browsing is active on domain.
> > Master browser name is: NETWORKDRIVE
> >Could not open key in registry, error = -1073741809 Unable to
> >determine build of browser master: -1073741809
> > \\\\NETWORKDRIVE . Version:04.09 Flags: 9a03 NT SERVER
> > 1 backup servers retrieved from master NETWORKDRIVE
> > \\NETWORKDRIVE
> > There are 2 servers in domain MODHOME on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{61114AB8-4C9B-436C-B7A0-C1A4984D2B44}
> > There are 1 domains in domain MODHOME on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{61114AB8-4C9B-436C-B7A0-C1A4984D2B44}
> >
> >If I turn the network drive off, my only desktop, which I had set a long
> >time ago to be the master browser, becomes the master browser and the Vista
> >computer then becomes visible to the XP computers. If I turn the network
> >drive back on, it soon takes over again.
> >
> >I have been through all the options on the network storage drive and don't
> >see any way to prevent it from taking over as master browser. Any ideas? I
> >would buy a new network storage drive and trash the Simple Tech if I knew
> >that another drive would behave differently.

> Which computer do you prefer as master browser? Make that decision first. Then
> reset the problem.
>
> 1) Power all computers off.
> 2) Power the master browser computer on, and bring it up and online. It will
> elect itself master browser. Give this about 1/2 hour.
> 3) Power all other computers, and the network drive, up and bring them online.
> 4) Run "browstat status" on all computers, and compare.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:38:01 -0800, smoddelm
> [...]

>Ran browstat on it and it was the master browser. Booted other computers and
>the network storage drive. Worked fine for a while.
>
>I subsequently had to reboot the XP desktop (software update). Network
>drive more or less immediately took over as master browser. The only
>"solution" I can think of is to shut down the network drive whenever I need
>to reboot the desktop and leave it off until the desktop has re-established
>itself as master browser. Probably will need to shut down all other machines
>too -- at one point in all my trials, my Vista laptop took over as master
>browser. I would really like a way around this -- seems like I shouldn't
>have to shut down everything every time I need to reboot my desktop. And of
>course it wouldn't matter if the network drive could list the Vistat laptop
>-- it is able to list all the XP computers. Any suggestions on how to make

The best solution is to pick a master browser that will be on 7 x 24 (or at
least whenever any computer is on), and disable the browser service on the
others. Or at least on all but 2. Minimise the number of browsers, and you
minimise the chance of a master browser election being held.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html#Prevent>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...e.html#Prevent

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
smoddelm

Re: Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
I agree that master browser should be enabled on only one computer (my XP
desktop, which is on 24/7 except when it must be re-booted for Windows
updates, software updates, etc.). Only problem is, the NAS network storage
drive is a standalone member of the workgroup but is not controllable like a
computer -- it is controlled via a very limited html interface (from other
computers on the network) and there is no setting in that interface for
anything as "sophisticated" as turning off the computer browser service on
it. Frankly I am surprised that the service exists on it in the first place.
I was very surpirsed when I ran browstat the first time and saw that my
"external drive" was the master browser.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:38:01 -0800, smoddelm
> <smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> >> Which computer do you prefer as master browser? Make that decision first. Then
> >> reset the problem.
> >>
> >> 1) Power all computers off.
> >> 2) Power the master browser computer on, and bring it up and online. It will
> >> elect itself master browser. Give this about 1/2 hour.
> >> 3) Power all other computers, and the network drive, up and bring them online.
> >> 4) Run "browstat status" on all computers, and compare.

> >I did as you suggested. Shut all computers down, then booted the computer I
> >want to be master browser (my XP desktop). I left it on for about an hour.
> >Ran browstat on it and it was the master browser. Booted other computers and
> >the network storage drive. Worked fine for a while.
> >
> >I subsequently had to reboot the XP desktop (software update). Network
> >drive more or less immediately took over as master browser. The only
> >"solution" I can think of is to shut down the network drive whenever I need
> >to reboot the desktop and leave it off until the desktop has re-established
> >itself as master browser. Probably will need to shut down all other machines
> >too -- at one point in all my trials, my Vista laptop took over as master
> >browser. I would really like a way around this -- seems like I shouldn't
> >have to shut down everything every time I need to reboot my desktop. And of
> >course it wouldn't matter if the network drive could list the Vistat laptop
> >-- it is able to list all the XP computers. Any suggestions on how to make
> >this happen?

> The best solution is to pick a master browser that will be on 7 x 24 (or at
> least whenever any computer is on), and disable the browser service on the
> others. Or at least on all but 2. Minimise the number of browsers, and you
> minimise the chance of a master browser election being held.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html#Prevent>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...e.html#Prevent
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:00:00 -0800, smoddelm
<smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:38:01 -0800, smoddelm
>> <smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> >I did as you suggested. Shut all computers down, then booted the computer I
>> >want to be master browser (my XP desktop). I left it on for about an hour.
>> >Ran browstat on it and it was the master browser. Booted other computers and
>> >the network storage drive. Worked fine for a while.
>> >
>> >I subsequently had to reboot the XP desktop (software update). Network
>> >drive more or less immediately took over as master browser. The only
>> >"solution" I can think of is to shut down the network drive whenever I need
>> >to reboot the desktop and leave it off until the desktop has re-established
>> >itself as master browser. Probably will need to shut down all other machines
>> >too -- at one point in all my trials, my Vista laptop took over as master
>> >browser. I would really like a way around this -- seems like I shouldn't
>> >have to shut down everything every time I need to reboot my desktop. And of
>> >course it wouldn't matter if the network drive could list the Vistat laptop
>> >-- it is able to list all the XP computers. Any suggestions on how to make
>> >this happen?

>> The best solution is to pick a master browser that will be on 7 x 24 (or at
>> least whenever any computer is on), and disable the browser service on the
>> others. Or at least on all but 2. Minimise the number of browsers, and you
>> minimise the chance of a master browser election being held.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html#Prevent>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...e.html#Prevent

>I agree that master browser should be enabled on only one computer (my XP
>desktop, which is on 24/7 except when it must be re-booted for Windows
>updates, software updates, etc.). Only problem is, the NAS network storage
>drive is a standalone member of the workgroup but is not controllable like a
>computer -- it is controlled via a very limited html interface (from other
>computers on the network) and there is no setting in that interface for
>anything as "sophisticated" as turning off the computer browser service on
>it. Frankly I am surprised that the service exists on it in the first place.
> I was very surpirsed when I ran browstat the first time and saw that my
>"external drive" was the master browser.

So does the NAS drive stay on 7 x 24? If so, make IT the master browser. As
long as all computers agree, you can make any computer the master browser. It
sounds like that's your only choice.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/nas-has-its-own-limitations.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...mitations.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
smoddelm

Re: Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
The network drive is on 24/7, less need to reboot, etc. Only problem is,
when it is the master browser it does not seem to "list" the Vista laptop, so
none of the XP computers can browse to it.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:00:00 -0800, smoddelm
> <smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> >> The best solution is to pick a master browser that will be on 7 x 24 (or at
> >> least whenever any computer is on), and disable the browser service on the
> >> others. Or at least on all but 2. Minimise the number of browsers, and you
> >> minimise the chance of a master browser election being held.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html#Prevent>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...e.html#Prevent

> >I agree that master browser should be enabled on only one computer (my XP
> >desktop, which is on 24/7 except when it must be re-booted for Windows
> >updates, software updates, etc.). Only problem is, the NAS network storage
> >drive is a standalone member of the workgroup but is not controllable like a
> >computer -- it is controlled via a very limited html interface (from other
> >computers on the network) and there is no setting in that interface for
> >anything as "sophisticated" as turning off the computer browser service on
> >it. Frankly I am surprised that the service exists on it in the first place.
> > I was very surpirsed when I ran browstat the first time and saw that my
> >"external drive" was the master browser.

> So does the NAS drive stay on 7 x 24? If so, make IT the master browser. As
> long as all computers agree, you can make any computer the master browser. It
> sounds like that's your only choice.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/nas-has-its-own-limitations.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...mitations.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista computer no longer "listed" when browsing workgroup
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:26:01 -0800, smoddelm
<smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:00:00 -0800, smoddelm
>> <smoddelm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> >I agree that master browser should be enabled on only one computer (my XP
>> >desktop, which is on 24/7 except when it must be re-booted for Windows
>> >updates, software updates, etc.). Only problem is, the NAS network storage
>> >drive is a standalone member of the workgroup but is not controllable like a
>> >computer -- it is controlled via a very limited html interface (from other
>> >computers on the network) and there is no setting in that interface for
>> >anything as "sophisticated" as turning off the computer browser service on
>> >it. Frankly I am surprised that the service exists on it in the first place.
>> > I was very surpirsed when I ran browstat the first time and saw that my
>> >"external drive" was the master browser.

>> So does the NAS drive stay on 7 x 24? If so, make IT the master browser. As
>> long as all computers agree, you can make any computer the master browser. It
>> sounds like that's your only choice.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/nas-has-its-own-limitations.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...mitations.html

>The network drive is on 24/7, less need to reboot, etc. Only problem is,
>when it is the master browser it does not seem to "list" the Vista laptop, so
>none of the XP computers can browse to it.

So what does "browstat status" on the Vista computer show? Do you have NetBT
set consistently?

--
Cheers,