File/Folder sharing vista

hemo

File/Folder sharing vista
I am using a small network via 4 x router, main computer o/s vista ultimate
64 bit, 2nd computer o/s vista ultimate 32 bit, 3rd, 4th o/s xp pro.

I have no problem sharing files or folders with the windows xp computers.
But can only share folder/files in the public folder with vista. When I try
to share a folder say in c drive, alert; ‘not accessible, you might not have
permission to this network resource. Contact administrator Access is denied’

Printer sharing Connect satisfactory.

Network Discoverer On, File sharing On, Public folder sharing On, Password
Off, Network set to Private.

Although the mapped drives as visible access is denied. I have tried
multiple options from Microsoft online help without success. Can anyone help
Please!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: File/Folder sharing vista
Make sure you have assign permissions on Security tab. Or this post may
help,

Vista Permission IssuesVista issues By default, Vista administrative shares
eg C$, ... am Post subject: How to: check permissions using Vista icacls
command, Reply with quote . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"hemo" <hemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using a small network via 4 x router, main computer o/s vista ultimate
> 64 bit, 2nd computer o/s vista ultimate 32 bit, 3rd, 4th o/s xp pro.
>
> I have no problem sharing files or folders with the windows xp computers.
> But can only share folder/files in the public folder with vista. When I
> try
> to share a folder say in c drive, alert; ‘not accessible, you might not
> have
> permission to this network resource. Contact administrator Access is
> denied’
>
> Printer sharing Connect satisfactory.
>
> Network Discoverer On, File sharing On, Public folder sharing On, Password
> Off, Network set to Private.
>
> Although the mapped drives as visible access is denied. I have tried
> multiple options from Microsoft online help without success. Can anyone
> help
> Please!

hemo

Re: File/Folder sharing vista
Thank you for the info; I am working my through the details on the sites you
suggested, however, I am having problems with the security settings. When I
try to edit; i.e. right click the drive, click properties and security tab, I
am 'denied access' with the alert; An error occurred while appling security
information to \\Main1\c

Main1computers name

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Make sure you have assign permissions on Security tab. Or this post may
> help,
>
> Vista Permission IssuesVista issues By default, Vista administrative shares
> eg C$, ... am Post subject: How to: check permissions using Vista icacls
> command, Reply with quote . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "hemo" <hemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using a small network via 4 x router, main computer o/s vista ultimate
> > 64 bit, 2nd computer o/s vista ultimate 32 bit, 3rd, 4th o/s xp pro.
> >
> > I have no problem sharing files or folders with the windows xp computers.
> > But can only share folder/files in the public folder with vista. When I
> > try
> > to share a folder say in c drive, alert; ‘not accessible, you might not
> > have
> > permission to this network resource. Contact administrator Access is
> > denied’
> >
> > Printer sharing Connect satisfactory.
> >
> > Network Discoverer On, File sharing On, Public folder sharing On, Password
> > Off, Network set to Private.
> >
> > Although the mapped drives as visible access is denied. I have tried
> > multiple options from Microsoft online help without success. Can anyone
> > help
> > Please!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: File/Folder sharing vista
You may want to take over the ownership. This link may help.

Vista: "Destination Folder Access ...The administrator may lost the
ownership of the folder. To do take over the ownership, right click on the
file or folder. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...3acf19 64ac7e