Losing DSL connection; Network and Sharing Center freezes

GarryB

Losing DSL connection; Network and Sharing Center freezes
I have just about had enough and I’m ready to give up on Vista and return my
computer. (Acer, 2GB Ram, AMD Athlon 2x, Windows Vista Home Premium

Internet connectivity is our #1 priority, as I’m sure it for many buyers. So
it has been very disappointing getting our system home one week ago, and we
have intermittent internet outages. We did the connection install using the
Wizard. We have Sympatico DSL.

What happens is that the connection is lost, anywhere between a minute or
two after connection up to an hour. The little globe image disappears from
the network item. The Network and Sharing Center is useless: the diagnostic
and repair functions don’t do anything helpful. And the Center itself freezes.

Even when the globe image reappears, I can’t get a connection, neither
through IE7 or any other online programs. All signs(internet options, etc.)
indicate ate the system is connected to the internet, but I can’t get
anything to work.
So the only thing I can do is restart the computer.

I can’t disconnect from the network either.

I’ve narrowed down the problem to what I think is a TCP/IP issue, but no
fixes have worked so far.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Losing DSL connection; Network and Sharing Center freezes
Sounds like incompatible issue. Try to check if there is a new firmware for
the router and driver for the NIC. Also you may try Microsoft Vista update.
these links may help,

Windows Vista Update and downloadThis update may fix some DHCP issue - The
default gateway setting is lost when you wake a Windows Vista-based computer
from sleep ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...b3942f 048156

Vista incompatible issuesVista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches
or routers may not compatible with Vista – Solutions: upgrade the firmware,
disable the IPv6, re-configure the ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"GarryB" <GarryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just about had enough and I’m ready to give up on Vista and return
>my
> computer. (Acer, 2GB Ram, AMD Athlon 2x, Windows Vista Home Premium
>
> Internet connectivity is our #1 priority, as I’m sure it for many buyers.
> So
> it has been very disappointing getting our system home one week ago, and
> we
> have intermittent internet outages. We did the connection install using
> the
> Wizard. We have Sympatico DSL.
>
> What happens is that the connection is lost, anywhere between a minute or
> two after connection up to an hour. The little globe image disappears from
> the network item. The Network and Sharing Center is useless: the
> diagnostic
> and repair functions don’t do anything helpful. And the Center itself
> freezes.
>

> Even when the globe image reappears, I can’t get a connection, neither
> through IE7 or any other online programs. All signs(internet options,
> etc.)
> indicate ate the system is connected to the internet, but I can’t get
> anything to work.
> So the only thing I can do is restart the computer.
>
> I can’t disconnect from the network either.
>
> I’ve narrowed down the problem to what I think is a TCP/IP issue, but no
> fixes have worked so far.

Mick

RE: Losing DSL connection; Network and Sharing Center freezes
Misery loves company- so i'll join you in lamenting [gary] I've been
operating at home with bellsout.net [now att.net] DSL and with XP as my
operating system- I didn't have any problems browsing the web or getting
e-mail. I bought a new [expensive ]laptop with vista premium and I can get
e-mail but connecting to any webpage is a crap shoot!! It usually takes 2-3
minutes just to find a [or any] website [url] and then once it finds it, it
takes about 2 minutes to fully load the page----then if you click a hyperlink
within that page, it takes an additional 3-4 minutes to load--- often the web
browser [IEX or mozilla} times out when it is unsuccessful--- I used the
networks diagnostics to trouble shoot and it advsd it could not ping the isp
dns server... I went to the "run" command and typed in the exact same ip
address and my machine sent 4 packets but received "zero" back---- I
connected my son's laptop that has XP as the operating system and is
lightning fast---- I went to the command prompt and pinged the same isp dns
server ip address and, withing miliseconds the pings came right back with no
problem--- the att dsl tier II [KID!!] that I talked to [in the Phillipines]
didn't have a clue- att makes purposefully unclear references to
incompatibility issues between dsl and microsoft] that were [supposedly]
cleared up in May 2007-
I think the Dslam shelf [software] in the LEC central ofc and its related
field remote terminal shelf [ cards ] might need some sort of software
upgrade to support the vista operating system. LIke you Gary, "Internet
connectivity is our #1 priority!!!"-- I do tons of researh at home wfor work
and now...... I'm dead in the water!!!! I'm going to take the laptop [with
vista] back to best but and get my money back---Mick
"GarryB" wrote:

> I have just about had enough and I’m ready to give up on Vista and return my
> computer. (Acer, 2GB Ram, AMD Athlon 2x, Windows Vista Home Premium
>
> Internet connectivity is our #1 priority, as I’m sure it for many buyers. So
> it has been very disappointing getting our system home one week ago, and we
> have intermittent internet outages. We did the connection install using the
> Wizard. We have Sympatico DSL.
>
> What happens is that the connection is lost, anywhere between a minute or
> two after connection up to an hour. The little globe image disappears from
> the network item. The Network and Sharing Center is useless: the diagnostic
> and repair functions don’t do anything helpful. And the Center itself freezes.
>

> Even when the globe image reappears, I can’t get a connection, neither
> through IE7 or any other online programs. All signs(internet options, etc.)
> indicate ate the system is connected to the internet, but I can’t get
> anything to work.
> So the only thing I can do is restart the computer.
>
> I can’t disconnect from the network either.
>
> I’ve narrowed down the problem to what I think is a TCP/IP issue, but no
> fixes have worked so far.

Mick

RE: Losing DSL connection; Network and Sharing Center freezes
But first, I'm going to try it on my daughter's cable modem- she has Vista
and her husband has xp and they bouth can fly during browsing with no
"LATENCY" issues....

"Mick" wrote:

> [...]
> > have intermittent internet outages. We did the connection install using the
> > Wizard. We have Sympatico DSL.
> >
> > What happens is that the connection is lost, anywhere between a minute or
> > two after connection up to an hour. The little globe image disappears from
> > the network item. The Network and Sharing Center is useless: the diagnostic
> > and repair functions don’t do anything helpful. And the Center itself freezes.
> >

> > Even when the globe image reappears, I can’t get a connection, neither
> > through IE7 or any other online programs. All signs(internet options, etc.)
> > indicate ate the system is connected to the internet, but I can’t get
> > anything to work.
> > So the only thing I can do is restart the computer.
> >
> > I can’t disconnect from the network either.
> >
> > I’ve narrowed down the problem to what I think is a TCP/IP issue, but no

GarryB

Re: Losing DSL connection; Network and Sharing Center freezes
Thanks for your advice Robert (and for your sharing Mick). I have tried a
couple of the Vista hotfixes, including the one you suggested, to no avail.
Also, tried disabling
the IPv6.

I don't have a router. My adapter is a Marvell Yukon ethernet. My ISP is
going to send me a new(er) modem. I have been using an Alcatel Speed Touch
Home, and I see in Google that there have been some issues for people with
this. I hope that works.

w_tom

On Nov 3, 11:32 pm, GarryB <Gar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> What happens is that the connection is lost, anywhere between a minute or
> two after connection up to an hour. The little globe image disappears from
> the network item. The Network and Sharing Center is useless: the diagnostic
> and repair functions don't do anything helpful. And the Center itself freezes.

So what fails? There are many parts to the connection chain. Long
before fixing anything (and especially do not start loading hotfixes
yet), first identify a suspect. Is it the computer, NIC, ethernet
cable, DSL modem, wire (interior) from that modem to your NID, missing
filters to block out POTS type devices (ie phone, answering machine),
or telco wire to their DSLAM?

Start with some simple things. On Internet Explorer, can you talk
to the server inside the DSL modem? That URL would be maybe
192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

Can you ping to that server? If so what are the times to 192.168.x.
1?

If viewing the server, then what are various numbers on its status
page? Any good modem can provide signal strength or signal to noise
ratios for the DSL line (connection from modem to telco's DSLAM). How
many dBs?

In each case, the procedure only looks a one part - ignores all
other parts in that long list of suspects in the first paragraph.
That is the only way you will solve this problem in due time. Break
the problem down into parts; verify the different parts as good or
bad.

What are the lights on that DSL modem? What do they say when
connections exist and are missing. Again, critical data that would
elicit useful replies here or useful assistance from the DSL provider.