Vista laptop wireless can ping other computers but not see them in Network window

plh

Vista laptop wireless can ping other computers but not see them in Network window
Hello all you MVPs,
Let me add another plea for help to the mountain of mail about Vista networking
problems.
In my case a Vista laptop (Dell Inspiron 1521, AMD Turion 64, Vista Home Basic)
can ping other computers in wireless mode (even one running Win98) but not see
them in Network window. I waited the requisite 15 minute (more like an hour
actually) because I had heard the appearance my be that slow, but still, nada.
This is a peer-to-peer system using a D-Link DI-624 purchased at least two years
ago, maybe three or four. It is 802.11g and the D-Link version is 2.28 if that
helps. But this should not matter since I ran the Internet connectivity
Evaluation Tool found on
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx and it reports to
me "Congratulations! Your router supports new advanced..." etc.
I have also carefully followed all the directions found in in
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727037.aspx including all the
Firewall UDP and TCP port allowances.
So what I am asking is this: How can I address this problem? I have read may
posts concerning it and followed the directions in each if they seemed relevant.
Most of them deal with client-server systems and so do not pertain to me and my
peer-to-peer setup. Is there a definitive step by step procedure, however long,
to go through and in so doing root out the problem, whatever it may be?
Thank You,
-plh

--
Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista laptop wireless can ping other computers but not see them in Network window
What's the system error if you use net view command, for example net view
\\ipaddress?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"plh" <plh_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> Hello all you MVPs,
> Let me add another plea for help to the mountain of mail about Vista
> networking
> problems.
> In my case a Vista laptop (Dell Inspiron 1521, AMD Turion 64, Vista Home
> Basic)
> can ping other computers in wireless mode (even one running Win98) but not
> see
> them in Network window. I waited the requisite 15 minute (more like an
> hour
> actually) because I had heard the appearance my be that slow, but still,
> nada.
> This is a peer-to-peer system using a D-Link DI-624 purchased at least two
> years
> ago, maybe three or four. It is 802.11g and the D-Link version is 2.28 if
> that
> helps. But this should not matter since I ran the Internet connectivity
> Evaluation Tool found on
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx and it
> reports to
> me "Congratulations! Your router supports new advanced..." etc.
> I have also carefully followed all the directions found in in
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727037.aspx including all the
> Firewall UDP and TCP port allowances.
> So what I am asking is this: How can I address this problem? I have read
> may
> posts concerning it and followed the directions in each if they seemed
> relevant.
> Most of them deal with client-server systems and so do not pertain to me
> and my
> peer-to-peer setup. Is there a definitive step by step procedure, however
> long,
> to go through and in so doing root out the problem, whatever it may be?
> Thank You,
> -plh
>

> --
> Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??

plh

Re: Vista laptop wireless can ping other computers but not see them in Network window
Hello Bob Lin,
I have no heard of that one before, is it a command I put in the cmd window like
this?
net view (two words)
or
netview (one word)
so then I would type in
netview\\192.168.0.102
or some such ip address?
Thank You,
-plh

In article <49585C63-F83B-4C53-8A03-82AC069C1708@microsoft.com>, MS-MVP\ says...

>What's the system error if you use net view command, for example net view
>\\ipaddress?
>
>--
>Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

>"plh" <plh_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all you MVPs,
>> Let me add another plea for help to the mountain of mail about Vista
>> networking
>> problems.
>> In my case a Vista laptop (Dell Inspiron 1521, AMD Turion 64, Vista Home
>> Basic)
>> can ping other computers in wireless mode (even one running Win98) but not
>> see
>> them in Network window. I waited the requisite 15 minute (more like an
>> hour
>> actually) because I had heard the appearance my be that slow, but still,
>> nada.
>> This is a peer-to-peer system using a D-Link DI-624 purchased at least two
>> years
>> ago, maybe three or four. It is 802.11g and the D-Link version is 2.28 if
>> that
>> helps. But this should not matter since I ran the Internet connectivity
>> Evaluation Tool found on
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx and it
>> reports to
>> me "Congratulations! Your router supports new advanced..." etc.
>> I have also carefully followed all the directions found in in
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727037.aspx including all the
>> Firewall UDP and TCP port allowances.
>> So what I am asking is this: How can I address this problem? I have read
>> may
>> posts concerning it and followed the directions in each if they seemed
>> relevant.
>> Most of them deal with client-server systems and so do not pertain to me
>> and my
>> peer-to-peer setup. Is there a definitive step by step procedure, however
>> long,
>> to go through and in so doing root out the problem, whatever it may be?
>> Thank You,
>> -plh
>>

>> --
>> Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??

--
Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista laptop wireless can ping other computers but not see them in Network window
net view \\192.168.0.102.

--

> [...]
>>> may
>>> posts concerning it and followed the directions in each if they seemed
>>> relevant.
>>> Most of them deal with client-server systems and so do not pertain to me
>>> and my
>>> peer-to-peer setup. Is there a definitive step by step procedure,
>>> however
>>> long,
>>> to go through and in so doing root out the problem, whatever it may be?
>>> Thank You,
>>> -plh
>>>

>>> --
>>> Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??

> --
> Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??

plh

Re: Vista laptop wireless can ping other computers but not see them in Network window
I don't get any system errors when I do that. When I run it on the Vista machine
it successfully reports back the computer description (from My Computer>System
Properties>Computer Name>Computer description) and a list of the shared folders
that exist thereon. This is true of any computer that is turned on, both XP and
Win98.

In article <637A94DA-3523-4769-80DF-5DC0D4DAB0EB@microsoft.com>, MS-MVP\ says...