Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Network Places will not open

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2007
Janie
 

Posts: n/a
Network Places will not open
Heres the thing. I have never had trouble with this until just this
afternoon. I have restarted and shut down several times and it still has not
corrected itself. When I try to open my Network Places through either the
control panel, the start up menu option, the search option, the my computer
option...anything....I select it and a window pops up, but nothing else
happens. No icons. No search bar at the top. No error message. It basically
freezes and sits there for however long I let it sit there before I shut it
down through task manager. The process cursor sits there and swirls, like its
thinking about opening, but it doesnt. I can not get into the network places,
at all. I have never had this problem before. Also, as a secondary problem,
my network/wireless connection icon on the system tray has the two computers,
but a red 'X' through it, signalling that I am NOT connected to the internet.
Now, the tricky part is that I am. Usually it takes ten minutes for the
wireless to somehow automatically connect(seeing as I dont have it set to
automatically connect on startup), but it eventually does. But, I have to
guess if it is and just open a EI window to see if the websites come up.

SO, basically, network places wont open so I can configure and check my
networks AND it also says I am not connected to the internet when I obviously
am. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2007
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Network Places will not open
I am not sure this is the same issue mentioned in this post.

Vista Network doesn't display any things
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2029

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"Janie" <Janie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B87420EC-26B9-4B6F-A0FB-E7AF4E3D3664@microsoft.com...
> Heres the thing. I have never had trouble with this until just this
> afternoon. I have restarted and shut down several times and it still has
> not
> corrected itself. When I try to open my Network Places through either the
> control panel, the start up menu option, the search option, the my
> computer
> option...anything....I select it and a window pops up, but nothing else
> happens. No icons. No search bar at the top. No error message. It
> basically
> freezes and sits there for however long I let it sit there before I shut
> it
> down through task manager. The process cursor sits there and swirls, like
> its
> thinking about opening, but it doesnt. I can not get into the network
> places,
> at all. I have never had this problem before. Also, as a secondary
> problem,
> my network/wireless connection icon on the system tray has the two
> computers,
> but a red 'X' through it, signalling that I am NOT connected to the
> internet.
> Now, the tricky part is that I am. Usually it takes ten minutes for the
> wireless to somehow automatically connect(seeing as I dont have it set to
> automatically connect on startup), but it eventually does. But, I have to
> guess if it is and just open a EI window to see if the websites come up.
>
> SO, basically, network places wont open so I can configure and check my
> networks AND it also says I am not connected to the internet when I
> obviously
> am. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2007
Janie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Network Places will not open
The thing is, on the rare chance that my network and sharing folder actually
opens, I cant navigate within it so turn on the network discovery because
NOTHING selects. I click and nothing. I click and wait for several minutes,
nothing. I get the error(when it does open) "server execution failed". Its as
if the whole window or folder or whatever freezes and if it does open and
dispaly things, you cant click or navigate within the window. It doesnt even
minimize or close. You have to shut it down through task manager.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I am not sure this is the same issue mentioned in this post.
>
> Vista Network doesn't display any things
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2029
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
>
> "Janie" <Janie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B87420EC-26B9-4B6F-A0FB-E7AF4E3D3664@microsoft.com...
> > Heres the thing. I have never had trouble with this until just this
> > afternoon. I have restarted and shut down several times and it still has
> > not
> > corrected itself. When I try to open my Network Places through either the
> > control panel, the start up menu option, the search option, the my
> > computer
> > option...anything....I select it and a window pops up, but nothing else
> > happens. No icons. No search bar at the top. No error message. It
> > basically
> > freezes and sits there for however long I let it sit there before I shut
> > it
> > down through task manager. The process cursor sits there and swirls, like
> > its
> > thinking about opening, but it doesnt. I can not get into the network
> > places,
> > at all. I have never had this problem before. Also, as a secondary
> > problem,
> > my network/wireless connection icon on the system tray has the two
> > computers,
> > but a red 'X' through it, signalling that I am NOT connected to the
> > internet.
> > Now, the tricky part is that I am. Usually it takes ten minutes for the
> > wireless to somehow automatically connect(seeing as I dont have it set to
> > automatically connect on startup), but it eventually does. But, I have to
> > guess if it is and just open a EI window to see if the websites come up.
> >
> > SO, basically, network places wont open so I can configure and check my
> > networks AND it also says I am not connected to the internet when I
> > obviously
> > am. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2007
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Network Places will not open
Then this post may help,

No network - server execution failedHolding my mouse over it the popup says
"connection status: unknown server execution failed". At the same time with
that, my windows experience index will ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1001


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"Janie" <Janie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:843EA898-A7BB-42E1-A8D4-88CBC17F063C@microsoft.com...
> The thing is, on the rare chance that my network and sharing folder
> actually
> opens, I cant navigate within it so turn on the network discovery because
> NOTHING selects. I click and nothing. I click and wait for several
> minutes,
> nothing. I get the error(when it does open) "server execution failed". Its
> as
> if the whole window or folder or whatever freezes and if it does open and
> dispaly things, you cant click or navigate within the window. It doesnt
> even
> minimize or close. You have to shut it down through task manager.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> I am not sure this is the same issue mentioned in this post.
>>
>> Vista Network doesn't display any things
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2029
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>>
>> "Janie" <Janie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B87420EC-26B9-4B6F-A0FB-E7AF4E3D3664@microsoft.com...
>> > Heres the thing. I have never had trouble with this until just this
>> > afternoon. I have restarted and shut down several times and it still
>> > has
>> > not
>> > corrected itself. When I try to open my Network Places through either
>> > the
>> > control panel, the start up menu option, the search option, the my
>> > computer
>> > option...anything....I select it and a window pops up, but nothing else
>> > happens. No icons. No search bar at the top. No error message. It
>> > basically
>> > freezes and sits there for however long I let it sit there before I
>> > shut
>> > it
>> > down through task manager. The process cursor sits there and swirls,
>> > like
>> > its
>> > thinking about opening, but it doesnt. I can not get into the network
>> > places,
>> > at all. I have never had this problem before. Also, as a secondary
>> > problem,
>> > my network/wireless connection icon on the system tray has the two
>> > computers,
>> > but a red 'X' through it, signalling that I am NOT connected to the
>> > internet.
>> > Now, the tricky part is that I am. Usually it takes ten minutes for the
>> > wireless to somehow automatically connect(seeing as I dont have it set
>> > to
>> > automatically connect on startup), but it eventually does. But, I have
>> > to
>> > guess if it is and just open a EI window to see if the websites come
>> > up.
>> >
>> > SO, basically, network places wont open so I can configure and check my
>> > networks AND it also says I am not connected to the internet when I
>> > obviously
>> > am. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Network Places =?Utf-8?B?cG9vaHRlbmRlcg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-25-2009 01:12
What is the my network places equvilant? Chasfax microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 07-04-2007 00:18
how to find My Network Places Susan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 07-01-2007 16:56
Comments not in My Network Places =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 04-04-2007 16:38
My Network places is not accessible =?Utf-8?B?UHJvZmVzc29yIEhlbm4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 03-01-2007 03:34




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120