Remote computer restart ?

Blue Max

Remote computer restart ?
How do we shutdown or restart the computer remotely using Windows Vista
Remote Desktop? When we go to the start menu of a remote host, during a
remote desktop session, the options for shutdown or restart are not present.
Thank you for any help with this issue.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote computer restart ?
"Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
> How do we shutdown or restart the computer remotely using Windows Vista
> Remote Desktop? When we go to the start menu of a remote host, during a
> remote desktop session, the options for shutdown or restart are not
> present. Thank you for any help with this issue.

Look at the shutdown command from the command line. Do a "shutdown /?"
command to get the syntax.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Blue Max

Re: Remote computer restart ?
Thank you for the helpful reply. Unless you indicate otherwise, I take this
to mean that we can force a shutdown or restart only from the 'Run' command
line in Vista? We will give this a try, thanks.

*************************
> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>> How do we shutdown or restart the computer remotely using Windows Vista
>> Remote Desktop? When we go to the start menu of a remote host, during a
>> remote desktop session, the options for shutdown or restart are not
>> present. Thank you for any help with this issue.

> Look at the shutdown command from the command line. Do a "shutdown /?"
> command to get the syntax.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

greeny

Re: Remote computer restart ?
You can also go to "Start" -> "Windows Security" and use the small button in
the lower right corner.

"greeny" <thisisf@ke.com> wrote in message
news:4728872f$0$5463$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
> You can also go to "Start" -> "Windows Security" and use the small button
> in the lower right corner.

You right of course. I completely forgot about that. You can also use the
<Ctrl><Alt><End> key sequence to bring up the same Task Manager screen while
in the Remote Desktop session.

Thanks for reminding me and my old memory...:-)

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Blue Max

Re: Remote computer restart ?
Thanks, Greeny. I knew I had issued a restart over Remote Desktop on prior
occasions and your suggestion prompted the thought that we must have
accessed the option from the Windows Task Manager. However, I did not
follow your reference to "Start > Windows Security"? I am using Vista and
have customized my 'Start' menu to some degree, but don't fully understand
where you are referring to here? Can you expound a little?

Thanks,

The Blue Max

"greeny" <thisisf@ke.com> wrote in message
news:4728872f$0$5463$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
> You can also go to "Start" -> "Windows Security" and use the small button
> in the lower right corner.
>

>>"Blue Max" wrote:
>> Thank you for the helpful reply. Unless you indicate otherwise, I take
>> this to mean that we can force a shutdown or restart only from the 'Run'
>> command line in Vista? We will give this a try, thanks.
>>
>> *************************
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Look at the shutdown command from the command line. Do a "shutdown /?"
>>> command to get the syntax.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>> How to ask a question
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Blue Max

Re: Remote computer restart ?
Follow-up here to my last reply, Greenie. After a little perusing, I
discovered that the new WindowsVista Task Manager does not have the old XP
options to 'Shutdown' or 'Restart' the computer. So now I am really curious
where you were headed with the "Start > Windows Security" suggestion.

Thanks,

Blue Max

"greeny" <thisisf@ke.com> wrote in message
news:4728872f$0$5463$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
> You can also go to "Start" -> "Windows Security" and use the small button
> in the lower right corner.
>

>>"Blue Max" wrote:
>> Thank you for the helpful reply. Unless you indicate otherwise, I take
>> this to mean that we can force a shutdown or restart only from the 'Run'
>> command line in Vista? We will give this a try, thanks.
>>
>> *************************
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Look at the shutdown command from the command line. Do a "shutdown /?"
>>> command to get the syntax.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>> How to ask a question
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

greeny

Re: Remote computer restart ?
Are you using the classic or the new Vista start menu? At least on the Vista
start menu, I have an option called "Windows Security" (ONLY when logged in
via RD though).
Screenshot: http://tinyurl.com/3c3xxn ("Windows-Sicherheit" is German for
"Windows Security")

I don't know, it's probably disabled in the classic start menu, it can also
be disabled via group policies.

Anyway, you can just press CTRL+ALT+END as Al suggested, that should have
the same effect.

Regards,
greeny

>"Blue Max" wrote:
> Follow-up here to my last reply, Greenie. After a little perusing, I
> discovered that the new WindowsVista Task Manager does not have the old XP
> options to 'Shutdown' or 'Restart' the computer. So now I am really
> curious where you were headed with the "Start > Windows Security"
> suggestion.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Blue Max
>
> "greeny" <thisisf@ke.com> wrote in message
> news:4728872f$0$5463$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
>> You can also go to "Start" -> "Windows Security" and use the small button
>> in the lower right corner.
>>

>>>"Blue Max" wrote:
>>> Thank you for the helpful reply. Unless you indicate otherwise, I take
>>> this to mean that we can force a shutdown or restart only from the 'Run'
>>> command line in Vista? We will give this a try, thanks.
>>>
>>> *************************

Blue Max

Re: Remote computer restart ?
Okay, it certainly helps to know that the 'Security' option is only
available when logged in with RD. I will explore that further (it rings a
bell), but Al suggested that this simply opens 'Task Manager', correct?
Yet, as I indicated, Task Manager doesn't appear to have a 'Shutdown' or
'Restart' option in Vista even if we can bring it up?

****************************
"greeny" <thisisf@ke.com> wrote in message
news:472913ef$0$5200$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
> Are you using the classic or the new Vista start menu? At least on the
> Vista start menu, I have an option called "Windows Security" (ONLY when
> logged in via RD though).
> Screenshot: http://tinyurl.com/3c3xxn ("Windows-Sicherheit" is German for
> "Windows Security")
>
> I don't know, it's probably disabled in the classic start menu, it can
> also be disabled via group policies.
>
> Anyway, you can just press CTRL+ALT+END as Al suggested, that should have
> the same effect.
>
> Regards,
> greeny
>

>>"Blue Max" wrote:
>> Follow-up here to my last reply, Greenie. After a little perusing, I
>> discovered that the new WindowsVista Task Manager does not have the old
>> XP options to 'Shutdown' or 'Restart' the computer. So now I am really
>> curious where you were headed with the "Start > Windows Security"
>> suggestion.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Blue Max
>>
>> "greeny" <thisisf@ke.com> wrote in message
>> news:4728872f$0$5463$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
>>> You can also go to "Start" -> "Windows Security" and use the small
>>> button in the lower right corner.

Blue Max

Re: Remote computer restart ?
I got it, Greeny! When logged in with Remote Desktop we can see the
'Windows Security' item on the Vista Start menu. Unfortunately, upon
selecting the link, there is not an option to 'Restart' or 'Shutdown' the
host! What are your findings?

Thanks,

Blue Max