I can't share the root c folder

Ravens Claw

I can't share the root c folder
I have a simple network with vista and xp. I share the c drive on the vista
folder. I can map the vista c drive on the XP machine, however when I attempt
to click on the mapped drive in XP I get a message "Access is Denied"

How can I fix this? I want to be able to access my root folder on my Vista
computer through my XP machine.

Points 2 note.
There are no 3rd party firewalls installed.
In the Network and Sharing Centre I have set the network to be Private AND I
have enabled File Sharing.
Both PC's are new and don't have viruses.
On the Vista Computer the "Share..." Button is greyed out but the "Advanced
Share" button is available.

Any help on what should normally be a simple issue would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kerry Brown

Re: I can't share the root c folder
"Ravens Claw" <Ravens Claw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a simple network with vista and xp. I share the c drive on the vista
> folder. I can map the vista c drive on the XP machine, however when I
> attempt
> to click on the mapped drive in XP I get a message "Access is Denied"
>
> How can I fix this? I want to be able to access my root folder on my Vista
> computer through my XP machine.
>
> Points 2 note.
> There are no 3rd party firewalls installed.
> In the Network and Sharing Centre I have set the network to be Private AND
> have enabled File Sharing.
> Both PC's are new and don't have viruses.
> On the Vista Computer the "Share..." Button is greyed out but the
> Share" button is available.
>
> Any help on what should normally be a simple issue would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers

I don't recommend sharing the root of any drive, especially C:, but if you
must

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Networking/filtertoken.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: I can't share the root c folder
have you assigned permissions in the security tab? Or this search result may
help.

Vista common issue - can see but ...More important, make sure share
permissions must match the folder security for access to a share. Good luck!
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=450

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE