RDP all of a sudden not working

iwannapimpslapBG

RDP all of a sudden not working
I have a work PC running vista business that is about 4 months old. About 2-3
months ago i got RDP working, and have been able to RD from both work
machines and a home machine (via vpn) w/o a problem.

Now, in the last week or so, i can no longer RD in from any machine. I get a
"Could not connect to remote computer" message. It's a connection issue, not
an auth issue.

The machine has been rebooted, and it is enabled for auto updates. I'm sure
i've installed a few things in the past week, but nothing major.

Does anybody have any idea? I tried resetting all the RD settings
(enabling/disabling the computer for remote access, messing with the windows
firewall, etc) to no avail.

Even some idea as to how to diagnose this problem would help.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: RDP all of a sudden not working
Can you telnet the Vista port 3389?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"iwannapimpslapBG" <iwannapimpslapBG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1BF46F12-17B3-4F6E-9ED1-401F821BCC17@microsoft.com...
>I have a work PC running vista business that is about 4 months old. About
>2-3
> months ago i got RDP working, and have been able to RD from both work
> machines and a home machine (via vpn) w/o a problem.
>
> Now, in the last week or so, i can no longer RD in from any machine. I get
> "Could not connect to remote computer" message. It's a connection issue,
> not
> an auth issue.
>
> The machine has been rebooted, and it is enabled for auto updates. I'm
> sure
> i've installed a few things in the past week, but nothing major.
>
> Does anybody have any idea? I tried resetting all the RD settings
> (enabling/disabling the computer for remote access, messing with the
> windows
> firewall, etc) to no avail.
>
> Even some idea as to how to diagnose this problem would help.

iwannapimpslapBG

Re: RDP all of a sudden not working
Nope, there is nothing listening on this port (i did a netstat). This implies
the "service" is not running, but glancing through the list of services,
nothing stands out as the RD service. And shouldn't my attempt to
enable/disable remote access (via right-click on computer->properties->remote
settings) fire it up?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can you telnet the Vista port 3389?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "iwannapimpslapBG" <iwannapimpslapBG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:1BF46F12-17B3-4F6E-9ED1-401F821BCC17@microsoft.com...
> >I have a work PC running vista business that is about 4 months old. About
> >2-3
> > months ago i got RDP working, and have been able to RD from both work
> > machines and a home machine (via vpn) w/o a problem.
> >
> > Now, in the last week or so, i can no longer RD in from any machine. I get
> > "Could not connect to remote computer" message. It's a connection issue,
> > not
> > an auth issue.
> >
> > The machine has been rebooted, and it is enabled for auto updates. I'm
> > sure
> > i've installed a few things in the past week, but nothing major.
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea? I tried resetting all the RD settings
> > (enabling/disabling the computer for remote access, messing with the
> > windows
> > firewall, etc) to no avail.
> >
> > Even some idea as to how to diagnose this problem would help.

Sooner Al [MVP]

message news:9C8706D3-3B9A-4F42-A4FB-373DE3A6DC89@microsoft.com...
> Nope, there is nothing listening on this port (i did a netstat). This
> implies
> the "service" is not running, but glancing through the list of services,
> nothing stands out as the RD service. And shouldn't my attempt to
> enable/disable remote access (via right-click on
> computer->properties->remote
> settings) fire it up?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can you telnet the Vista port 3389?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "iwannapimpslapBG" <iwannapimpslapBG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:1BF46F12-17B3-4F6E-9ED1-401F821BCC17@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a work PC running vista business that is about 4 months old.
>> >About
>> >2-3
>> > months ago i got RDP working, and have been able to RD from both work
>> > machines and a home machine (via vpn) w/o a problem.
>> >
>> > Now, in the last week or so, i can no longer RD in from any machine. I
>> > get
>> > "Could not connect to remote computer" message. It's a connection
>> > issue,
>> > not
>> > an auth issue.
>> >
>> > The machine has been rebooted, and it is enabled for auto updates. I'm
>> > sure
>> > i've installed a few things in the past week, but nothing major.
>> >
>> > Does anybody have any idea? I tried resetting all the RD settings
>> > (enabling/disabling the computer for remote access, messing with the
>> > windows
>> > firewall, etc) to no avail.
>> >
>> > Even some idea as to how to diagnose this problem would help.

Make sure the "Terminal Services" service is started.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

iwannapimpslapBG

Re: RDP all of a sudden not working
Yep, "Terminal Services" is definitely started, and i restarted it as well,
but still nothing.

message news:843CCB80-7788-422F-9957-97872F02CA82@microsoft.com...
> Yep, "Terminal Services" is definitely started, and i restarted it as
> well,
> but still nothing.
>
> "

Are you running any thing like NAV worm protection, OneCare Live, etc that
may need configuring? Also some VPN clients, specifically Cisco, seem to
kill RDP connections, at least with XP...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

iwannapimpslapBG

Re: RDP all of a sudden not working
This is the exact problem i'm having; i opened up the event log and found the
"could not start service" message:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...s-failure.html

Apparently no clean solution has been found. I do have auto-update turned
on, looks like that's what screwed me.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> "iwannapimpslapBG" <iwannapimpslapBG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:843CCB80-7788-422F-9957-97872F02CA82@microsoft.com...
> > Yep, "Terminal Services" is definitely started, and i restarted it as
> > well,
> > but still nothing.
> >
> > "

> Are you running any thing like NAV worm protection, OneCare Live, etc that
> may need configuring? Also some VPN clients, specifically Cisco, seem to
> kill RDP connections, at least with XP...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

iwannapimpslapBG

Re: RDP all of a sudden not working
BTW, doing what the article recommended:

net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Network Service" /add

Is what fixed the problem, after a reboot. I can now RD in fine. I wasted
*hours* on this.

"iwannapimpslapBG" wrote:

> This is the exact problem i'm having; i opened up the event log and found the
> "could not start service" message:
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...s-failure.html
>
> Apparently no clean solution has been found. I do have auto-update turned
> on, looks like that's what screwed me.
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > "iwannapimpslapBG" <iwannapimpslapBG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:843CCB80-7788-422F-9957-97872F02CA82@microsoft.com...
> > > Yep, "Terminal Services" is definitely started, and i restarted it as
> > > well,
> > > but still nothing.
> > >
> > > "

> > Are you running any thing like NAV worm protection, OneCare Live, etc that
> > may need configuring? Also some VPN clients, specifically Cisco, seem to
> > kill RDP connections, at least with XP...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> > mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...
> > How to ask a question
> > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: RDP all of a sudden not working
Thank you for the update.

--

message news:E05047DC-EF98-4E52-8BAA-1EB0F787BDE5@microsoft.com...
> BTW, doing what the article recommended:
>
> net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Network Service" /add
>
> Is what fixed the problem, after a reboot. I can now RD in fine. I wasted
> *hours* on this.
>
> "iwannapimpslapBG" wrote:
>
>> This is the exact problem i'm having; i opened up the event log and found
>> the
>> "could not start service" message:
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...s-failure.html
>>
>> Apparently no clean solution has been found. I do have auto-update turned
>> on, looks like that's what screwed me.
>>
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > "iwannapimpslapBG" <iwannapimpslapBG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > in
>> > message news:843CCB80-7788-422F-9957-97872F02CA82@microsoft.com...

>> > Are you running any thing like NAV worm protection, OneCare Live, etc
>> > that
>> > may need configuring? Also some VPN clients, specifically Cisco, seem
>> > kill RDP connections, at least with XP...
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>> >
>> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> > mutual benefit of all of us...
>> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> > rights...
>> > How to ask a question
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: RDP all of a sudden not working
"iwannapimpslapBG" <iwannapimpslapBG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E05047DC-EF98-4E52-8BAA-1EB0F787BDE5@microsoft.com...
> BTW, doing what the article recommended:
>
> net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Network Service" /add
>
> Is what fixed the problem, after a reboot. I can now RD in fine. I wasted
> *hours* on this.
>
> "iwannapimpslapBG" wrote:
>
>> This is the exact problem i'm having; i opened up the event log and found
>> the
>> "could not start service" message:
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...s-failure.html
>>
>> Apparently no clean solution has been found. I do have auto-update turned
>> on, looks like that's what screwed me.
>>
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > "iwannapimpslapBG" <iwannapimpslapBG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > in
>> > message news:843CCB80-7788-422F-9957-97872F02CA82@microsoft.com...

>> > Are you running any thing like NAV worm protection, OneCare Live, etc
>> > that
>> > may need configuring? Also some VPN clients, specifically Cisco, seem
>> > kill RDP connections, at least with XP...
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>> >
>> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> > mutual benefit of all of us...
>> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> > rights...
>> > How to ask a question