remote desktop vpn complications

ryanj247

remote desktop vpn complications
hi:

i have two pc's connected to a broadband router. i use remote desktop from
A to connect to B, which works fine. on B, i've set up a vpn connection to a
personal VPN service. i chose "public location" when i first connected to
the vpn network, because i want the most secure environment possible on that
PC when i'm connected to the vpn. i also unchecked everything other than
"Internet Protocol Version 4" in the properties of the vpn connection, as per
their security instructions. but when i am connected to the vpn on B, i can
no longer use remote desktop from A to connect to B over the LAN.

when i connect to the vpn on B, i want all internet traffic on B to go
through the vpn. however, i would still like to be able to use remote
desktop from A to connect to B over my LAN. i do NOT want the remote desktop
connection to have to go through the vpn server to get to B (because of the
effect that would have on latency). how can i set this up?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: remote desktop vpn complications
That is a good question. Assuming the the VPN client is public location
after establishing the VPN, you may want to create a inbound rule using
Windows firewall with advanced security on local computer.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net