Vista network speed is unacceptable

Costanza

Vista network speed is unacceptable
I am currenty trying to copy files from my Vista Ultimate desktop machine to
my Windows Home server box. Both are connected toa gigabit switch with CAT6
cables.

The speed is atrocious ranging from 500k-3Mb/sec.

This has been a constant problem transferring between machines at my home,
and was not present when the machines ran XP.

I have tried all the 'solutions' on the web to no avail, and I am not
playing music at the same time.

This, to me is an absolute show stopping bug, and yet it hasn't been fixed
after a year, it just asotunds me.

Some acknowledgement of the problem would be nice, or somewhere with a
combined list of all the possible solutions.

Is the only option left to wait in hope?
Jeffrey Randow

Re: Vista network speed is unacceptable
This isn't uncommon...

Run the following and reboot:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

This turns off Vista autotuning which can result in network speed
increases (actually, Vista should be faster in the first place, but
the differing network topologies out there cause varying results).

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:40:00 -0700, Costanza
<Costanza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am currenty trying to copy files from my Vista Ultimate desktop machine to
>my Windows Home server box. Both are connected toa gigabit switch with CAT6
>cables.
>
>The speed is atrocious ranging from 500k-3Mb/sec.
>
>This has been a constant problem transferring between machines at my home,
>and was not present when the machines ran XP.
>
>I have tried all the 'solutions' on the web to no avail, and I am not
>playing music at the same time.
>
>This, to me is an absolute show stopping bug, and yet it hasn't been fixed
>after a year, it just asotunds me.
>
>Some acknowledgement of the problem would be nice, or somewhere with a
>combined list of all the possible solutions.
>
>Is the only option left to wait in hope?

Costanza

Re: Vista network speed is unacceptable
Thanks for the reply, but tried that already along with all the other 'fixes'
I could find on the net.

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> This isn't uncommon...
>
> Run the following and reboot:
>
> netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
>
> This turns off Vista autotuning which can result in network speed
> increases (actually, Vista should be faster in the first place, but
> the differing network topologies out there cause varying results).
>
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:40:00 -0700, Costanza
> <Costanza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am currenty trying to copy files from my Vista Ultimate desktop machine to
> >my Windows Home server box. Both are connected toa gigabit switch with CAT6
> >cables.
> >
> >The speed is atrocious ranging from 500k-3Mb/sec.
> >
> >This has been a constant problem transferring between machines at my home,
> >and was not present when the machines ran XP.
> >
> >I have tried all the 'solutions' on the web to no avail, and I am not
> >playing music at the same time.
> >
> >This, to me is an absolute show stopping bug, and yet it hasn't been fixed
> >after a year, it just asotunds me.
> >
> >Some acknowledgement of the problem would be nice, or somewhere with a
> >combined list of all the possible solutions.
> >
> >Is the only option left to wait in hope?

AJR

Re: Vista network speed is unacceptable
Have had XP and several Vista (Ultimate) computers, wired and wireless,
networked via a "headless" Windows Home Server (non-RTM) since first Beta.
Using Router vice a switch.

No performance problems transferring files to the server shared folders or
executing daily backups. - somewhar slower via wireless.

"Costanza" <Costanza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currenty trying to copy files from my Vista Ultimate desktop machine
> my Windows Home server box. Both are connected toa gigabit switch with
> CAT6
> cables.
>
> The speed is atrocious ranging from 500k-3Mb/sec.
>
> This has been a constant problem transferring between machines at my home,
> and was not present when the machines ran XP.
>
> I have tried all the 'solutions' on the web to no avail, and I am not
> playing music at the same time.
>
> This, to me is an absolute show stopping bug, and yet it hasn't been fixed
> after a year, it just asotunds me.
>
> Some acknowledgement of the problem would be nice, or somewhere with a
> combined list of all the possible solutions.
>
> Is the only option left to wait in hope?

Barb Bowman

Re: Vista network speed is unacceptable
do both machines have GigE NICs?
what is flow control set to ?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Jeffrey Randow

Re: Vista network speed is unacceptable
Have you checked to see if they are still set?

netsh int tcp show global

They sometimes (usually after an update) revert back to being
enabled....

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:45:00 -0700, Costanza