downside of vista hom eon domain

Mike @ Alleluia!

downside of vista hom eon domain
I am the IT Manager at a local church using Server 2003 and AD. Our pastor
purchased 2 PCs without me that came with Vista Home Premium pre-loaded. He
is completely against me loading XP Pro on these Pcs. I have been able to
set these up so network resources (internet and shared and personal drives)
are available and it looks like SAV CE will be able to provide updates.

Question: What is the downside to keeping this setup rather than purchasing
Business or Ultimate so they can actually log into the domain?

It seems like this is working, but there has to be something missing with
this setup.

Thank you,
Mike
Malke

Re: downside of vista hom eon domain
Mike @ Alleluia! wrote:
> I am the IT Manager at a local church using Server 2003 and AD. Our pastor
> purchased 2 PCs without me that came with Vista Home Premium pre-loaded. He
> is completely against me loading XP Pro on these Pcs. I have been able to
> set these up so network resources (internet and shared and personal drives)
> are available and it looks like SAV CE will be able to provide updates.
>
> Question: What is the downside to keeping this setup rather than purchasing
> Business or Ultimate so they can actually log into the domain?
>
> It seems like this is working, but there has to be something missing with
> this setup.

The downside is that the (presumably) good security
restrictions/permissions you've set up on the domain won't be applicable
to the Vista Home machines and therefore they are a security risk on
your network. It will also make more work for you since you won't be
able to use the centralized management of patches, updates, user
management, etc. that you get with a domain on these two machines.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Jeffrey Randow

Re: downside of vista hom eon domain
No Group Policy. No cached domain credentials (i.e., typing in a
username and password at every boot). Domain DFS won't work too well.

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006