sharing folders

Richard

sharing folders
I have 2 vista machines, one is the main pc, the other is the kids. Both
running onecare ON the main pc I have shared the music folder so that i do
not have to replicate it. As administrator on the kids pc I can see and
access the music folder but when the kids sign on as themselves, each has an
account, they cannot see it. WHat do I have to do?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: sharing folders
Can they ping the main pc by IP? If yes, can they ping it by name? If yes,
can you view the main pc by using net view \\mainpcname?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 vista machines, one is the main pc, the other is the kids. Both
> running onecare ON the main pc I have shared the music folder so that i do
> not have to replicate it. As administrator on the kids pc I can see and
> access the music folder but when the kids sign on as themselves, each has
> an
> account, they cannot see it. WHat do I have to do?

Richard

Re: sharing folders
not sure what you want me to do. If I go into explorer I can see the other
m/c's on the network and under the main pc I can see a public folder, a
backup drive I have shared out and the music folder, but clicking on the
music folder gives me access denied. I can access the other folders. I just
checked and I thought I could access the music folder as admin on the kids pc
but just found I could not, so I can see it since I shared it out on the main
pc but still cannot access it?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can they ping the main pc by IP? If yes, can they ping it by name? If yes,
> can you view the main pc by using net view \\mainpcname?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 2 vista machines, one is the main pc, the other is the kids. Both
> > running onecare ON the main pc I have shared the music folder so that i do
> > not have to replicate it. As administrator on the kids pc I can see and
> > access the music folder but when the kids sign on as themselves, each has
> > an
> > account, they cannot see it. WHat do I have to do?

Chuck [MVP]

Re: sharing folders
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:21:00 -0700, Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have 2 vista machines, one is the main pc, the other is the kids. Both
>> > running onecare ON the main pc I have shared the music folder so that i do
>> > not have to replicate it. As administrator on the kids pc I can see and
>> > access the music folder but when the kids sign on as themselves, each has
>> > an
>> > account, they cannot see it. WHat do I have to do?

>> Can they ping the main pc by IP? If yes, can they ping it by name? If yes,
>> can you view the main pc by using net view \\mainpcname?

>not sure what you want me to do. If I go into explorer I can see the other
>m/c's on the network and under the main pc I can see a public folder, a
>backup drive I have shared out and the music folder, but clicking on the
>music folder gives me access denied. I can access the other folders. I just
>checked and I thought I could access the music folder as admin on the kids pc
>but just found I could not, so I can see it since I shared it out on the main
>pc but still cannot access it?

Richard,

What's the complete and exact "... access denied ..." error message?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/look-at-complete-detail-in-error.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...-in-error.html

You can hopefully diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!) (note how to use the command window):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: sharing folders
If you can access it using admin ID but others, I would check the the
permission under Security tab. Or this search result may help.

Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be connecting
to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the
permission using this command: . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm