Cannot access files on the ThinkPad loaded with Vista Business

aspdb1028

Cannot access files on the ThinkPad loaded with Vista Business
To all,

I have ax XP Pro desktops, Vista Ultimate desktop and a Vista Business
(preloaded) ThinkPad T61. Each one is on the same workgroup and I am
trying to share files among them. I have the following -

* All three units have the same login id and password.
* All units are loaded with MSSQL, Oracle10g and DB2-ExpressC.
* All firewall are turned off. Discovery, File, Folder, Printer, Media
Sharing are all on, password protected sharing off.
* XP Pro can only see/open Ultimate - Cannot Remote_Desktop to any.
* Ultimate can see/open/Remote_Desktop to XP Pro.
* Ultimate can see/Remote_Desktop the T61 name but cannot open any
files. It can see the Media files however.
* XP Pro cannot see/open/Remote_Desktop T61, cannot even see the name.
* XP Pro can see/open Ultimate but cannot Remote_Desktop.
* Pint the T61 IP is OK from all.
* T61 can access SQLExpress, Oracle10g and DB2-ExpressC on the Ultimate
but the same in the T61 are not visible to outside.

The fail message is either network name is " .. not accessible... might
not have permission....Windows cannot find the network path...". I
searched the web for solution but no luck.

Any idea how to get the T61 (business) to act like the (Ultimate) and is
visible to the outside?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot access files on the ThinkPad loaded with Vista Business
Do you receive any errors if using command net view \\T61ipaddress from XP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"aspdb1028" <frank@aspdb.com> wrote in message
> To all,
>
> I have ax XP Pro desktops, Vista Ultimate desktop and a Vista Business
> (preloaded) ThinkPad T61. Each one is on the same workgroup and I am
> trying to share files among them. I have the following -
>
> * All three units have the same login id and password.
> * All units are loaded with MSSQL, Oracle10g and DB2-ExpressC.
> * All firewall are turned off. Discovery, File, Folder, Printer, Media
> Sharing are all on, password protected sharing off.
> * XP Pro can only see/open Ultimate - Cannot Remote_Desktop to any.
> * Ultimate can see/open/Remote_Desktop to XP Pro.
> * Ultimate can see/Remote_Desktop the T61 name but cannot open any files.
> It can see the Media files however.
> * XP Pro cannot see/open/Remote_Desktop T61, cannot even see the name.
> * XP Pro can see/open Ultimate but cannot Remote_Desktop.
> * Pint the T61 IP is OK from all.
> * T61 can access SQLExpress, Oracle10g and DB2-ExpressC on the Ultimate
> but the same in the T61 are not visible to outside.
>
> The fail message is either network name is " .. not accessible... might
> not have permission....Windows cannot find the network path...". I
> searched the web for solution but no luck.
>
> Any idea how to get the T61 (business) to act like the (Ultimate) and is
> visible to the outside?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Frank

aspdb1028

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Do you receive any errors if using command net view \\T61ipaddress from XP?

Robert,

From XP to (T61) Business
ping 192.168.2.6 is OK but Net View \\192.168.2.6 is not good.

Same result when do this from the ultimate.

Frank
Frederick Smith

Re: Cannot access files on the ThinkPad loaded with Vista Business
Hey Robert, Chuck, Barb [or any MVP],

I upgraded my Netgear router WGR614v6 to WGR614v8. I have a Vista Premium
laptop, LAPTOP-PC, and XP Home desktop, DESKTOP-PC, connected to the router
using a WIRED connection. I have no problem accessing the internet from
either of them.

[I think] After replacing the router, this problem started. DESKTOP-PC, if
visible to LAPTOP-PC, is no longer accessible. "Windows can not access
\\DESKTOP-PC" and the error code is 0x80070035. And, from DESKTOP-PC,
LAPTOP-PC is not visible under "My Network Places".

I have the entire C drive shared in DESKTOP-PC, allowing network users to
change files.

In LAPTOP-PC, under Network and Sharing Center I have:
Network Discovery On,
File Sharing On,
Public Folder Sharing On [anyone with network access can change, open,
create files],
Printer Sharing On,
Password Protected Sharing Off,
Media Sharing Off.

I thought I covered all the bases here. Any ideas? Barb, I know you have the
same router, maybe there is something else that needs to be configured?

Fred

"aspdb1028" <frank@aspdb.com> wrote in message
> To all,
>
> I have ax XP Pro desktops, Vista Ultimate desktop and a Vista Business
> (preloaded) ThinkPad T61. Each one is on the same workgroup and I am
> trying to share files among them. I have the following -
>
> * All three units have the same login id and password.
> * All units are loaded with MSSQL, Oracle10g and DB2-ExpressC.
> * All firewall are turned off. Discovery, File, Folder, Printer, Media
> Sharing are all on, password protected sharing off.
> * XP Pro can only see/open Ultimate - Cannot Remote_Desktop to any.
> * Ultimate can see/open/Remote_Desktop to XP Pro.
> * Ultimate can see/Remote_Desktop the T61 name but cannot open any files.
> It can see the Media files however.
> * XP Pro cannot see/open/Remote_Desktop T61, cannot even see the name.
> * XP Pro can see/open Ultimate but cannot Remote_Desktop.
> * Pint the T61 IP is OK from all.
> * T61 can access SQLExpress, Oracle10g and DB2-ExpressC on the Ultimate
> but the same in the T61 are not visible to outside.
>
> The fail message is either network name is " .. not accessible... might
> not have permission....Windows cannot find the network path...". I
> searched the web for solution but no luck.
>
> Any idea how to get the T61 (business) to act like the (Ultimate) and is
> visible to the outside?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Frank

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot access files on the ThinkPad loaded with Vista Business
It could be the name resolution issue if you have enabled sharing. Have you
enabled the NetBIOS over TCP/IP? These search results may help.

Solved: error code 0x80070035 ...0x80070035 The network path was not found.
Clicking diagnose yeilds, "Windows >> sent a request to the DNS server and
the server responded that the name was ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?p=2915.

Vista: Error Code CollectionsError code 0x80070035 - The network path was
not found. Resolution: check this link Vista networking -
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t= ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?p=771

--

"Frederick Smith" <noreply@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hey Robert, Chuck, Barb [or any MVP],
>
> I upgraded my Netgear router WGR614v6 to WGR614v8. I have a Vista Premium
> laptop, LAPTOP-PC, and XP Home desktop, DESKTOP-PC, connected to the
> router using a WIRED connection. I have no problem accessing the internet
> from either of them.
>
> [I think] After replacing the router, this problem started. DESKTOP-PC, if
> visible to LAPTOP-PC, is no longer accessible. "Windows can not access
> \\DESKTOP-PC" and the error code is 0x80070035. And, from DESKTOP-PC,
> LAPTOP-PC is not visible under "My Network Places".
>
> I have the entire C drive shared in DESKTOP-PC, allowing network users to
> change files.
>
> In LAPTOP-PC, under Network and Sharing Center I have:
> Network Discovery On,
> File Sharing On,
> Public Folder Sharing On [anyone with network access can change, open,
> create files],
> Printer Sharing On,
> Password Protected Sharing Off,
> Media Sharing Off.
>
> I thought I covered all the bases here. Any ideas? Barb, I know you have
> the same router, maybe there is something else that needs to be
> configured?
>
> Fred
>

> "aspdb1028" <frank@aspdb.com> wrote in message
>> To all,
>>
>> I have ax XP Pro desktops, Vista Ultimate desktop and a Vista Business
>> (preloaded) ThinkPad T61. Each one is on the same workgroup and I am
>> trying to share files among them. I have the following -
>>
>> * All three units have the same login id and password.
>> * All units are loaded with MSSQL, Oracle10g and DB2-ExpressC.
>> * All firewall are turned off. Discovery, File, Folder, Printer, Media
>> Sharing are all on, password protected sharing off.
>> * XP Pro can only see/open Ultimate - Cannot Remote_Desktop to any.
>> * Ultimate can see/open/Remote_Desktop to XP Pro.
>> * Ultimate can see/Remote_Desktop the T61 name but cannot open any files.
>> It can see the Media files however.
>> * XP Pro cannot see/open/Remote_Desktop T61, cannot even see the name.
>> * XP Pro can see/open Ultimate but cannot Remote_Desktop.
>> * Pint the T61 IP is OK from all.
>> * T61 can access SQLExpress, Oracle10g and DB2-ExpressC on the Ultimate
>> but the same in the T61 are not visible to outside.
>>
>> The fail message is either network name is " .. not accessible... might
>> not have permission....Windows cannot find the network path...". I
>> searched the web for solution but no luck.
>>
>> Any idea how to get the T61 (business) to act like the (Ultimate) and is
>> visible to the outside?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

>> Frank

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot access files on the ThinkPad loaded with Vista Business
I wish you posted the error code and error message so that we can know
possible causes.

--

> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Do you receive any errors if using command net view \\T61ipaddress from
>> XP?
>>

> Robert,
>
> From XP to (T61) Business
> ping 192.168.2.6 is OK but Net View \\192.168.2.6 is not good.
>
> Same result when do this from the ultimate.
>
> Frank

aspdb1028

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> I wish you posted the error code and error message so that we can know
> possible causes.

Here is the Error dump -> Try to access TPAD (Business) from Desktop
(Ultimate)

\\TPAD is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permission.

Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. if
Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network
administrator

aspdb1028

aspdb1028 wrote:
> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> I wish you posted the error code and error message so that we can know
>> possible causes.
>>

> Here is the Error dump -> Try to access TPAD (Business) from Desktop
> (Ultimate)
>
> \\TPAD is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator to use this network
> resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> have access permission.
>
> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. if
> Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network
> administrator

Another piece of error data ->

net view \\tpad

System error 51 has occurred.

Frank
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot access files on the ThinkPad loaded with Vista Business
System error 51 means you can't access the remote computer sharing? Make
sure the server service is running. Or this search result may help.

System ErrorsSystem error 8 - Not enough storage is available to process
this command System error 21 has occurred - The device is not ready. System
error 51 has ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

--

> aspdb1028 wrote:
>> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>> I wish you posted the error code and error message so that we can know
>>> possible causes.
>>>

>> Here is the Error dump -> Try to access TPAD (Business) from Desktop
>> (Ultimate)
>>
>> \\TPAD is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>> network resource. Contact the administrator to use this network resource.
>> Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
>> permission.
>>
>> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
>> correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. if
>> Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network
>> administrator
>>

> Another piece of error data ->
>
> net view \\tpad
>
> System error 51 has occurred.
>

> Frank

aspdb1028

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> System error 51 means you can't access the remote computer sharing? Make
> sure the server service is running. Or this search result may help.
>
> System ErrorsSystem error 8 - Not enough storage is available to process
> this command System error 21 has occurred - The device is not ready.
> System error 51 has ...
> www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

Robert,

Yes, Server service is started.
I checked out all the references and none of them offers a solution. I
compared the setup for both the Ultimate and Business computer and they
are identical as far as I can tell. I even went back to retrieve the
backup disk pack, the one I made right after I install the pre-loaded
laptop and no luck. I'll call IBM to see whether anything unusual about
this Vista business laptop and also order the downgrade XP disk. May be
I'll wait for some Vista service pack before I dive in again.

Thanks,

Frank