Network not connecting when computer restarted

Peter Cook

Network not connecting when computer restarted
I have a vista pc with a realtek RTL8168/8111 card
The pc receives an ip from a D-Link DSL-G604T
If I turn the pc off and then back on I get the limited connection thing
happening.
If I remove the network cable from the pc the red cross appears over the
network icon by the clock (the bottom clock, not the extra new super clock).
Back to the point. I plug the cable back in and the pc now receives an ip
from the router and everything is OK.
I don't think I should have to leave the computer on 24hrs a day. Also it
seems after reading a few other posts I may have problems when the computer
goes into sleep mode.
Any suggests?
I'll trade the extra clock and flashy graphics for a working network.
Frederick Smith

Re: Network not connecting when computer restarted
Hi,
If you check my previous posts, you will see that you might have to udpate
the firmware for the router. If this does not help, than you might have to
purchase a new router. It might be possible to configure Vista to work with
the existing router, but routers are so cheap these days it can be easier to
buy new.
Fred
"Peter Cook" <PeterCook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a vista pc with a realtek RTL8168/8111 card
> The pc receives an ip from a D-Link DSL-G604T
> If I turn the pc off and then back on I get the limited connection thing
> happening.
> If I remove the network cable from the pc the red cross appears over the
> network icon by the clock (the bottom clock, not the extra new super
> clock).
> Back to the point. I plug the cable back in and the pc now receives an ip
> from the router and everything is OK.
> I don't think I should have to leave the computer on 24hrs a day. Also it
> seems after reading a few other posts I may have problems when the
> computer
> goes into sleep mode.
> Any suggests?
> I'll trade the extra clock and flashy graphics for a working network.

Peter Cook

Re: Network not connecting when computer restarted
Thanks for the reply but buying a new router seems like a poor solution. I'll
wait and see if the Vista folk can fix vista

"Frederick Smith" wrote:

> Hi,
> If you check my previous posts, you will see that you might have to udpate
> the firmware for the router. If this does not help, than you might have to
> purchase a new router. It might be possible to configure Vista to work with
> the existing router, but routers are so cheap these days it can be easier to
> buy new.
> Fred
> "Peter Cook" <PeterCook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a vista pc with a realtek RTL8168/8111 card
> > The pc receives an ip from a D-Link DSL-G604T
> > If I turn the pc off and then back on I get the limited connection thing
> > happening.
> > If I remove the network cable from the pc the red cross appears over the
> > network icon by the clock (the bottom clock, not the extra new super
> > clock).
> > Back to the point. I plug the cable back in and the pc now receives an ip
> > from the router and everything is OK.
> > I don't think I should have to leave the computer on 24hrs a day. Also it
> > seems after reading a few other posts I may have problems when the
> > computer
> > goes into sleep mode.
> > Any suggests?
> > I'll trade the extra clock and flashy graphics for a working network.

Peter Cook

Re: Network not connecting when computer restarted
Hi again, Sorry if my last post seemed a bit rude. I checked the D-Link site
and the router should work with Vista so I think it is some other problem.
Also I found if I turn the pc off via the big red graphics button that looks
like an off button but just puts the computer into what I guess is some sort
of hybernation state, then when I turn it on again the network is OK.
I only have to go through the process I described in my first post if I turn
the pc completely off.