Mixed XP/Vista Home network problems

Deanis

Mixed XP/Vista Home network problems
Hi. I have a D-Link EBR 2310 router and two PCs hooked up to it. One is
running XP and the other Vista Ultimate. The problem is that the Vista PC can
access the XP PC (it recognizes the XP PC as on the network and can access
files from it), but not the other way around. In fact, the XP PC does not
show another computer hooked up to the network at all. Both cpomputers are on
the "WORKGROUP" workgroup. I have also enabled "network Discovery" on the
Vista PC.

Possibly related: There is also an xbox360 hooked up to the router. The
Vista computer recognizes the xbox as connected to the network, but the XP PC
does not show any sign of it (siomlilar to how it does not show any
connection to the Vista PC).

I have had the XP PC networked with other XP PC's and the same xbox360
before without any difficulties.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks very much.

Dean
Mick Murphy

RE: Mixed XP/Vista Home network problems
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727037.aspx

might help you.

"Deanis" wrote:

> Hi. I have a D-Link EBR 2310 router and two PCs hooked up to it. One is
> running XP and the other Vista Ultimate. The problem is that the Vista PC can
> access the XP PC (it recognizes the XP PC as on the network and can access
> files from it), but not the other way around. In fact, the XP PC does not
> show another computer hooked up to the network at all. Both cpomputers are on
> the "WORKGROUP" workgroup. I have also enabled "network Discovery" on the
> Vista PC.
>
> Possibly related: There is also an xbox360 hooked up to the router. The
> Vista computer recognizes the xbox as connected to the network, but the XP PC
> does not show any sign of it (siomlilar to how it does not show any
> connection to the Vista PC).
>
> I have had the XP PC networked with other XP PC's and the same xbox360
> before without any difficulties.
>
> Can someone please help me?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Dean

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Mixed XP/Vista Home network problems
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:52:00 -0700, Deanis <Deanis@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi. I have a D-Link EBR 2310 router and two PCs hooked up to it. One is
>running XP and the other Vista Ultimate. The problem is that the Vista PC can
>access the XP PC (it recognizes the XP PC as on the network and can access
>files from it), but not the other way around. In fact, the XP PC does not
>show another computer hooked up to the network at all. Both cpomputers are on
>the "WORKGROUP" workgroup. I have also enabled "network Discovery" on the
>Vista PC.
>
>Possibly related: There is also an xbox360 hooked up to the router. The
>Vista computer recognizes the xbox as connected to the network, but the XP PC
>does not show any sign of it (siomlilar to how it does not show any
>connection to the Vista PC).
>
>I have had the XP PC networked with other XP PC's and the same xbox360
>before without any difficulties.
>
>Can someone please help me?
>
>Thanks very much.
>
>Dean

Dean,

There are a few issues which have been discovered since the often cited
Microsoft document was produced, which are relevant to Windows Vista Networking,
and could be of interest.

You might diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
/all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
(download browstat!) (note the command window under Windows Vista):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.