Hooking up a Vista system to a home network based on Windows XP

Liz

Hooking up a Vista system to a home network based on Windows XP
I have an existing home network, nothing fancy. I just purchased a new PC
with Vista, but I can't seen to get connected to the network. I don't see
the other computers or my printer? Any ideas? I saw something about vista
starter doesn't support sharing printers and wasn't sure if that is what is
wrong or something else. Also, how can you tell whether you have vista
starter?

Thanks,

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Hooking up a Vista system to a home network based on Windows XP
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:01:00 -0700, Liz <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an existing home network, nothing fancy. I just purchased a new PC
>with Vista, but I can't seen to get connected to the network. I don't see
>the other computers or my printer? Any ideas? I saw something about vista
>starter doesn't support sharing printers and wasn't sure if that is what is
>wrong or something else. Also, how can you tell whether you have vista
>starter?
>
>Thanks,

Liz,

From the content of your post, you appear to be in the USA (Road Runner in NC?).
Is that right? You can't get Vista Starter in the USA - it's only for
developing countries.
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/44526469-b916-4442-9372-4f566795bbcf1033.mspx>
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...5bbcf1033.mspx

So hoping that you don't have Starter, networking a computer with Windows Vista
is pretty much like one with Windows XP. Microsoft describes how this is done,
but there are gotchas which they don't describe.

Make sure that all computers are in the same workgroup - this is one major
difference with Windows Vista. Set the Vista Network Location Type to
"Private", and make sure that the NetBT setting is consistent.

We could maybe diagnose your problem, using logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Mick Murphy

RE: Hooking up a Vista system to a home network based on Windows XP
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727037.aspx

Have a read of the above to start with.

"Liz" wrote:

> I have an existing home network, nothing fancy. I just purchased a new PC
> with Vista, but I can't seen to get connected to the network. I don't see
> the other computers or my printer? Any ideas? I saw something about vista
> starter doesn't support sharing printers and wasn't sure if that is what is
> wrong or something else. Also, how can you tell whether you have vista
> starter?
>
> Thanks,

Judgedredd

RE: Hooking up a Vista system to a home network based on Windows XP
Hey Liz

If u r not able to see yr comps in network; U'll need to install 2 protocols
in yr XP s.
Link layer Topology discovery mapper and LL topology responder.

U can download frm MS site.

Cheers!!