Can't change Workgroup name

paz1664

Can't change Workgroup name
Hi all,

I have a problem on my Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home Premium. Ever since I
got it I haven't been able to see my home network or connect to my printer
which is connected to an XP PC.
When I try and change the workgroup name it shows as grayed out so I can't
type a new name.

Also in the Network & Sharing Centre both the Network Discovery and File
Sharing are set to Custom, I can't set them to On, it just reverts back to
Custom.

My internet connection is fine and when I view the Full Map I can see my
other computers, My access point is a netgear WGN124 router. I've tried
everything I know but I am now stumped.

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't change Workgroup name
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727037.aspx

Have a read of the above.

"paz1664" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem on my Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home Premium. Ever since I
> got it I haven't been able to see my home network or connect to my printer
> which is connected to an XP PC.
> When I try and change the workgroup name it shows as grayed out so I can't
> type a new name.
>
> Also in the Network & Sharing Centre both the Network Discovery and File
> Sharing are set to Custom, I can't set them to On, it just reverts back to
> Custom.
>
> My internet connection is fine and when I view the Full Map I can see my
> other computers, My access point is a netgear WGN124 router. I've tried
> everything I know but I am now stumped.

paz1664

RE: Can't change Workgroup name
Thanks Mick, but I can't do any of that, as I said, my Workgroup name is
greyed out so I can't select and change it and when I try and change the
Discovery and File Sharing to ON it just goes to Custom. My network type is
set to Private.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727037.aspx
>
> Have a read of the above.
>
> "paz1664" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a problem on my Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home Premium. Ever since I
> > got it I haven't been able to see my home network or connect to my printer
> > which is connected to an XP PC.
> > When I try and change the workgroup name it shows as grayed out so I can't
> > type a new name.
> >
> > Also in the Network & Sharing Centre both the Network Discovery and File
> > Sharing are set to Custom, I can't set them to On, it just reverts back to
> > Custom.
> >
> > My internet connection is fine and when I view the Full Map I can see my
> > other computers, My access point is a netgear WGN124 router. I've tried
> > everything I know but I am now stumped.

User

Re: Can't change Workgroup name
Do you have client for Microsoft networks' installed?
Do a search on google for the words...
workgroup name grayed out

Lots of hits and should be able to help you.

All the best,
George