Desk top to lap top

RDaniels

Desk top to lap top
I have a gateway desktop and just bought a HP laptop. I just put in the
Linksys wireless. Both computers have Windows Vista. How do I link the
computers together so I when I work on one it also shows up on the other?

Ronda
Malke

Re: Desk top to lap top
RDaniels wrote:
> I have a gateway desktop and just bought a HP laptop. I just put in the
> Linksys wireless. Both computers have Windows Vista. How do I link the
> computers together so I when I work on one it also shows up on the other?

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...27037.aspxThis link will
take you through Vista networking very well:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
RDaniels

Re: Desk top to lap top
I did what it said but on my desktop it marks the files as share with
everyone but it will not show up on my laptop. What now?

"Malke" wrote:

> RDaniels wrote:
> > I have a gateway desktop and just bought a HP laptop. I just put in the
> > Linksys wireless. Both computers have Windows Vista. How do I link the
> > computers together so I when I work on one it also shows up on the other?

> Excellent, thorough, yet easy to understand article about File/Printer
> Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
> files and folders:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...27037.aspxThis link will
> take you through Vista networking very well:
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: Desk top to lap top
RDaniels wrote:
> I did what it said but on my desktop it marks the files as share with
> everyone but it will not show up on my laptop. What now?

More thorough information about networking below. It may look daunting,
but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up
your sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...27037.aspxThis link will
take you through Vista networking very well:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it. Read through the general networking tips
below and if you still are having difficulties, MVP Hans-Georg Michna
has an excellent small network troubleshooter here:

http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Taking the time to go through his troubleshooter will usually pinpoint
the source of the problem(s).

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN
allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than
one firewall.

B. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. Create shares as desired. See the very first link above for details
about Vista sharing.

Malke