vista & 98se how to?

Dave B.

vista & 98se how to?

I have a lan with 2 98se pcs connected to a 4 port modem.
I added a Vista Home Basic notebook, connects to the router and internet
fine,
but I cannot work out how to connect to the 98se pc's files.
I can ping both the 98 machines from the vista.
(also I can't get a ping out of the Vista machine from itself, except if I
boot in a diag mode, but then I can't connect to the router in this state)
So I am guessing it is is some sort of firewalling issue, but firewalling is
switched off?

I basically just want to transfer some files onto the new machine from the
old ones.

Can anyone please advise?
The websites I have looked at so far just confuse me, especially the stuff
about NTLM 2, which I couldn't work out how to install. Some things I read
say its not possible(from a MVP) some say it is.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: vista & 98se how to?
Assuming you have enable sharing on Vista and you can't ping the Vista by
IP, do you have other security software like Norton running on the Vista?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message

> I have a lan with 2 98se pcs connected to a 4 port modem.
> I added a Vista Home Basic notebook, connects to the router and internet
> fine,
> but I cannot work out how to connect to the 98se pc's files.
> I can ping both the 98 machines from the vista.
> (also I can't get a ping out of the Vista machine from itself, except if I
> boot in a diag mode, but then I can't connect to the router in this state)
> So I am guessing it is is some sort of firewalling issue, but firewalling
> is
> switched off?
>
> I basically just want to transfer some files onto the new machine from the
> old ones.
>
> Can anyone please advise?
> The websites I have looked at so far just confuse me, especially the stuff
> about NTLM 2, which I couldn't work out how to install. Some things I read
> say its not possible(from a MVP) some say it is.

Dave B.

Re: vista & 98se how to?
Hi Rob,
Thanks for that. I didn't realise my norton had a firewall in it.
I can now access my win98 pc from the vista
I can now also see the vista pc on the win98 network neighbourhood. But
clicking on it brings up a password box. Is there something I need to do on
the Vista pc to allow access?

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Assuming you have enable sharing on Vista and you can't ping the
> Vista by IP, do you have other security software like Norton running
> on the Vista?
>

> "Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a lan with 2 98se pcs connected to a 4 port modem.
>> I added a Vista Home Basic notebook, connects to the router and
>> internet fine,
>> but I cannot work out how to connect to the 98se pc's files.
>> I can ping both the 98 machines from the vista.
>> (also I can't get a ping out of the Vista machine from itself,
>> except if I boot in a diag mode, but then I can't connect to the
>> router in this state) So I am guessing it is is some sort of
>> firewalling issue, but firewalling is
>> switched off?
>>
>> I basically just want to transfer some files onto the new machine
>> from the old ones.
>>
>> Can anyone please advise?
>> The websites I have looked at so far just confuse me, especially the
>> stuff about NTLM 2, which I couldn't work out how to install. Some
>> things I read say its not possible(from a MVP) some say it is.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: vista & 98se how to?
You may want to create the same username and password on both computer so
that it doesn't prompt for a password.

Vista Slow IssuesVista business slow accessing domain resources ... I have a
mix of machines running on an SBS domain. (XP, Mac, and Vista > > business)
Two are Vista . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaslow.htm

--

> Hi Rob,
> Thanks for that. I didn't realise my norton had a firewall in it.
> I can now access my win98 pc from the vista
> I can now also see the vista pc on the win98 network neighbourhood. But
> clicking on it brings up a password box. Is there something I need to do
> on
> the Vista pc to allow access?
>

> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Assuming you have enable sharing on Vista and you can't ping the
>> Vista by IP, do you have other security software like Norton running
>> on the Vista?
>>

>> "Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have a lan with 2 98se pcs connected to a 4 port modem.
>>> I added a Vista Home Basic notebook, connects to the router and
>>> internet fine,
>>> but I cannot work out how to connect to the 98se pc's files.
>>> I can ping both the 98 machines from the vista.
>>> (also I can't get a ping out of the Vista machine from itself,
>>> except if I boot in a diag mode, but then I can't connect to the
>>> router in this state) So I am guessing it is is some sort of
>>> firewalling issue, but firewalling is
>>> switched off?
>>>
>>> I basically just want to transfer some files onto the new machine
>>> from the old ones.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please advise?
>>> The websites I have looked at so far just confuse me, especially the
>>> stuff about NTLM 2, which I couldn't work out how to install. Some
>>> things I read say its not possible(from a MVP) some say it is.

Mick Murphy

Re: vista & 98se how to?
For a quick workaround with the password request in '98, in Vista's Network
and Sharing Center, turn off password protect, and your '98s can then access
Vista.

"Dave B." wrote:

> Hi Rob,
> Thanks for that. I didn't realise my norton had a firewall in it.
> I can now access my win98 pc from the vista
> I can now also see the vista pc on the win98 network neighbourhood. But
> clicking on it brings up a password box. Is there something I need to do on
> the Vista pc to allow access?
>

> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> > Assuming you have enable sharing on Vista and you can't ping the
> > Vista by IP, do you have other security software like Norton running
> > on the Vista?
> >

> > "Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I have a lan with 2 98se pcs connected to a 4 port modem.
> >> I added a Vista Home Basic notebook, connects to the router and
> >> internet fine,
> >> but I cannot work out how to connect to the 98se pc's files.
> >> I can ping both the 98 machines from the vista.
> >> (also I can't get a ping out of the Vista machine from itself,
> >> except if I boot in a diag mode, but then I can't connect to the
> >> router in this state) So I am guessing it is is some sort of
> >> firewalling issue, but firewalling is
> >> switched off?
> >>
> >> I basically just want to transfer some files onto the new machine
> >> from the old ones.
> >>
> >> Can anyone please advise?
> >> The websites I have looked at so far just confuse me, especially the
> >> stuff about NTLM 2, which I couldn't work out how to install. Some
> >> things I read say its not possible(from a MVP) some say it is.

Dave B.

Re: vista & 98se how to?
Hi Rob,
This 1/2 network of mine is going ok. I'm not fussed with full access on
both sides.
Now for a printer issue.
The vista add network printer did not work. But I can add it using the local
port option and selecting via desktop pc (printer is connected to lpt1 of
the desktop (win98))
Print works fine(sort of)
Only thing is, it only seems to work if I'm adding a new printer in printers
folder; using the same "printer" between sessions does not work. Its not a
big deal as it only takes about 10 seconds to delete and add printer again.
Just curious as to what is going on.

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> You may want to create the same username and password on both
> computer so that it doesn't prompt for a password.
>
> Vista Slow IssuesVista business slow accessing domain resources ... I
> have a mix of machines running on an SBS domain. (XP, Mac, and Vista
> > > business) Two are Vista . ...

> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaslow.htm
>

> "Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Rob,
>> Thanks for that. I didn't realise my norton had a firewall in it.
>> I can now access my win98 pc from the vista
>> I can now also see the vista pc on the win98 network neighbourhood.
>> But clicking on it brings up a password box. Is there something I
>> need to do on
>> the Vista pc to allow access?
>>

>> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>> Assuming you have enable sharing on Vista and you can't ping the
>>> Vista by IP, do you have other security software like Norton running
>>> on the Vista?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: vista & 98se how to?
I am not sure I understand the printer problem. You add the print to a local
port LPT1 for example, and then open the Port tab to re-map it to the
network printer.