Vista networking with ME/98

The Doctor

Vista networking with ME/98
I have a customer that is try to add a WinVista to his current network.

WinVista is replacing a WinXP which was able to share.

Initially we had to remove the Norton Firewall Software in order to
get the machine to speak to the other machines on the network.

When I left, the machine was able to talk to all other machine on the network
and the Vista Machine could seethe WinME and Win98 machines.

Just today, The WinVista Machine is beeing diffficult.

On an Acer 10/100 unmanged switch the Win98 and WinME machines
are slow at accessing the winVista machine
or the Win Vista machine is asking for a password, like password for
vista\IPC$ .

The non-vista machine are using less than 512MB RAM.

This was working with a WinXP machine.

Why these changes and difficulties?

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista networking with ME/98
Create the same username with the password on all computer may fix this
issue. Or this search result may help.

windows faqsPrompt for the guest password Run a program as a service XP can
see win98 but win98 can't see XP Workstation doesn't start ...
www.chicagotech.net/winfaqs.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"The Doctor" <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>I have a customer that is try to add a WinVista to his current network.
>
> WinVista is replacing a WinXP which was able to share.
>
> Initially we had to remove the Norton Firewall Software in order to
> get the machine to speak to the other machines on the network.
>
> When I left, the machine was able to talk to all other machine on the
> network
> and the Vista Machine could seethe WinME and Win98 machines.
>

> Just today, The WinVista Machine is beeing diffficult.
>
> On an Acer 10/100 unmanged switch the Win98 and WinME machines
> are slow at accessing the winVista machine
> or the Win Vista machine is asking for a password, like password for
> vista\IPC$ .
>

> The non-vista machine are using less than 512MB RAM.
>
> This was working with a WinXP machine.
>
> Why these changes and difficulties?
>

> --
> Member - Liberal International
> This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
> God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
> Voting Canadians vote anyone but Harper Cronies!!

George B

Re: Vista networking with ME/98
You are essentially at the same point that I have reached, but I have been
able to go no farther. I have achieved connections two ways: by
eliminating passwords on my Win98SE shares and my Vista Home Premium shares,
and by creating identical login names and passwords on both machines.
Either way, shares and directories are visible on both machines, and Vista
can both read and write files to the W98 machine. However, as you have
indicated, operations initiated from the W98 machine are extremely slow (45
seconds for a 60-byte file; I haven't had the patience to see if much larger
files would ever complete). I never was able to print from W98 to the Vista
computer. Since I can transfer small files, albeit slowly, I can't believe
that this problem has anything to do with passwords or security permissions.
I'm resigned to accepting the fact that my new Vista machine was a
mistake -- I should have requested XP. My one hope is that SP1 will somehow
fix this problem.

In article <usxoHjQGIHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
George B <ghbennett@hotmail.com> wrote:
>You are essentially at the same point that I have reached, but I have been
>able to go no farther. I have achieved connections two ways: by
>eliminating passwords on my Win98SE shares and my Vista Home Premium shares,
>and by creating identical login names and passwords on both machines.
>Either way, shares and directories are visible on both machines, and Vista
>can both read and write files to the W98 machine. However, as you have
>indicated, operations initiated from the W98 machine are extremely slow (45
>seconds for a 60-byte file; I haven't had the patience to see if much larger
>files would ever complete). I never was able to print from W98 to the Vista
>computer. Since I can transfer small files, albeit slowly, I can't believe
>that this problem has anything to do with passwords or security permissions.
>I'm resigned to accepting the fact that my new Vista machine was a
>mistake -- I should have requested XP. My one hope is that SP1 will somehow
>fix this problem.
>
>"The Doctor" <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> I have a customer that is try to add a WinVista to his current network.
>>
>> WinVista is replacing a WinXP which was able to share.
>>
>> Initially we had to remove the Norton Firewall Software in order to
>> get the machine to speak to the other machines on the network.
>>
>> When I left, the machine was able to talk to all other machine on the

>network
>> and the Vista Machine could seethe WinME and Win98 machines.
>>

>> Just today, The WinVista Machine is beeing diffficult.
>>
>> On an Acer 10/100 unmanged switch the Win98 and WinME machines
>> are slow at accessing the winVista machine
>> or the Win Vista machine is asking for a password, like password for
>> vista\IPC$ .
>>

>> The non-vista machine are using less than 512MB RAM.
>>
>> This was working with a WinXP machine.
>>
>> Why these changes and difficulties?
>>

>> --
>> Member - Liberal International
>> This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
>> God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
>> Voting Canadians vote anyone but Harper Cronies!!

IF you really want to cry the latest fixes screws up Canada (English)
so badly that English (USA) has to be turned on. GRR!!