A browser problem

mdofl

A browser problem
First, i apologize if this has been answered, but I did do a search. I have
a Vista Home Premium box and at least twice a day I have to restart because
my web browser stops working. Let me explain, I will try to go to a site,
any site, and I get the message that appears when the PC's connection is
dead. The thing is, is my connection is fine. Other network services are
working just fine. I can still use bit torrent, outlook, itunes to download
music, whatever, it is just the browser that doesn't work.

I use multiple browsers for work and none of them, Explorer, Firefox, or
Opera, will connect to a page. Can anyone help me?

mdofl
Chuck [MVP]

Re: A browser problem
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:11:01 -0700, mdofl <mdofl@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>First, i apologize if this has been answered, but I did do a search. I have
>a Vista Home Premium box and at least twice a day I have to restart because
>my web browser stops working. Let me explain, I will try to go to a site,
>any site, and I get the message that appears when the PC's connection is
>dead. The thing is, is my connection is fine. Other network services are
>working just fine. I can still use bit torrent, outlook, itunes to download
>music, whatever, it is just the browser that doesn't work.
>
>I use multiple browsers for work and none of them, Explorer, Firefox, or
>Opera, will connect to a page. Can anyone help me?
>

>mdofl

If the problem happens regularly, and is temporarily resolved by restarting, I'd
bet that your DNS setup is dodgy.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/05/identifying-dns-problem-in-your.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Mauser

Re: A browser problem

I have the same problem but mine is not resolved after restart.
Earlier had the same problem after installing a windows update and had
no other choice then reinstalling the entire OS.

The problem is that none of the browsers can go on the internet. But
using Ping and receiving updates is not a problem.

Windows can't find any problems in the connection, and repairing the
network connection doesn't do any good either. And again it happend
after retreiving Windows Updates.

The only thing that happens is Firefox giving me a blank screen and an
error that it had stopped working (when I want to close it). And IE
says: cannot display the webpage. And when I close IE it also gives an
error: Internet Explorer has stopped working.

Any sollution that fixes this problem would be great.
Thanx in advance!

--
Mauser
SkyNuX

Re: A browser problem

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Actually, I noticed that I could use
my browsers when I was connected at Home, in my personal wireless
network, but when I¨m at the office, or using a wifi network that
doesn't have any secutiry (no key), I cannot use IE7 or Firefox, BUT I
can use Flock (Very weird).

Can somebody help me?

It is important to note that I'm connected (I can use ssh, ping some
hosts and access my IMAP account - but they are disconnected some
times), and flock works all the time.

ps: Can somebody that is having problem with the web traffic try flock
to see if it works?

--
SkyNuX
Al Dente

Re: A browser problem

Do you have anti-virus installed which includes a link scanner or
similar? Try disabling it!

I've had some major problems, similar to what you describe - everything
connected to the internet bar my browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari and
Chrome). I scoured the internet for solutions and tried just about
everything, including a clean re-install. I even switched from AVG to
Avast following the re-install but still replicated the problem. Another
feature of the issue was that I couldn't even kill the browser process
from the Task Manager: the only effective cure being a reboot.

Today I nearly pulled my remaining hair out as none of my browsers
would access my own website - particularly helpful as it's just gone
live. Even rebooting didn't work - whichever browser I used simply told
me it could not connect to the site - I knew this was unlikely as
everything on the server was intact. I tried to access the site from
another machine (runnning XP) and, hey-presto, it worked with no problem
at all.

I tried resetting winsock etc, uninstalled Vista service pack 1 and
ZoneAlarm but still couldn't connect to the site from my Vista machine.
By this time I knew the site was definitely still online because I
received an email from someone via the website.

I then attempted to connect from a third (also XP) machine on my
network, this time, I was also unable to connect. I checked all my
network and firewall settings - they were fine.

Finally, after more searching of the internet, I found a forum where
the concensus appeared to be that the problem was probably related to
security software, AVG was mentioned. This reminded me that the main
difference between the machine which would display the site and the two
which wouldn't was the link scanner in AVG and the Avast Web Shield were
active on the PCs which wouldn't show the site and disabled on the one
that would.

I deactivated the web components in question and connected to my site
straight away.

I don't know if this will resolve the intermittent browser disconnect,
but I'll try and keep you posted.

Hope this helps (even if it meant putting up with reading how miserable
I've been the whole day!).

--
Al Dente