Switching between wireless networks

DerekS

Switching between wireless networks
I'm a college student with a wireless router in my apartment and the problem
that I'm having is any time I go from my apartment to anywhere on campus
after putting my computer into hibernation my wireless in my laptop will
connect to the schools wireless connection and show that it's recieving
information but have no internet. I try repairing it and everything that I
know vista allows me to but the only way I've determined to fix it is by
completely rebooting my laptop. Anyone know of any other way to fix this?
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Switching between wireless networks
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:27:00 -0700, DerekS <DerekS@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I'm a college student with a wireless router in my apartment and the problem
>that I'm having is any time I go from my apartment to anywhere on campus
>after putting my computer into hibernation my wireless in my laptop will
>connect to the schools wireless connection and show that it's recieving
>information but have no internet. I try repairing it and everything that I
>know vista allows me to but the only way I've determined to fix it is by
>completely rebooting my laptop. Anyone know of any other way to fix this?

Derek,

It sounds like your computer is roaming. Is the schools WiFi network on your
preferred connection list? What would you prefer the laptop to do, when you go
anywhere on campus? Does your school WiFi use normal authentication (WPA?), or
does it have a captive portal, that your computer isn't setup for?

Instead of rebooting the computer, try turning the radio off then on.

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
DerekS

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:27:00 -0700, DerekS <DerekS@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm a college student with a wireless router in my apartment and the problem
> >that I'm having is any time I go from my apartment to anywhere on campus
> >after putting my computer into hibernation my wireless in my laptop will
> >connect to the schools wireless connection and show that it's recieving
> >information but have no internet. I try repairing it and everything that I
> >know vista allows me to but the only way I've determined to fix it is by
> >completely rebooting my laptop. Anyone know of any other way to fix this?

> Derek,
>
> It sounds like your computer is roaming. Is the schools WiFi network on your
> preferred connection list? What would you prefer the laptop to do, when you go
> anywhere on campus? Does your school WiFi use normal authentication (WPA?), or
> does it have a captive portal, that your computer isn't setup for?
>
> Instead of rebooting the computer, try turning the radio off then on.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

How do I tell if it's WPA or captive? Also How does one turn the radio off?
I've never heard anything referred to as a radio

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:54:00 -0700, DerekS <DerekS@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:27:00 -0700, DerekS <DerekS@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm a college student with a wireless router in my apartment and the problem
>> >that I'm having is any time I go from my apartment to anywhere on campus
>> >after putting my computer into hibernation my wireless in my laptop will
>> >connect to the schools wireless connection and show that it's recieving
>> >information but have no internet. I try repairing it and everything that I
>> >know vista allows me to but the only way I've determined to fix it is by
>> >completely rebooting my laptop. Anyone know of any other way to fix this?

>> Derek,
>>
>> It sounds like your computer is roaming. Is the schools WiFi network on your
>> preferred connection list? What would you prefer the laptop to do, when you go
>> anywhere on campus? Does your school WiFi use normal authentication (WPA?), or
>> does it have a captive portal, that your computer isn't setup for?
>>
>> Instead of rebooting the computer, try turning the radio off then on.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.
>>

>How do I tell if it's WPA or captive? Also How does one turn the radio off?
>I've never heard anything referred to as a radio

Have you been able to connect to the network, at any time? If so, did you have
to configure the WiFi client with a WEP or WPA key (preferably the latter)? Or
did you get a sign on screen asking for something like your student number?

The radio is the active component in a WiFi client computer. It needs to be
turned off when you need to use the laptop, locally, and want to save battery
power. Most laptops have a switch for the radio, although some will make it a
keyboard combination. Mine has a cool blue light and sits right in the middle
of the keyboard area.

I need you to describe in detail what you've been able to do so far, and what
you're trying to do. Is the wireless router in your apartment yours, or the
schools? And have you asked the school tech support group for help?

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Barb Bowman

Re: Switching between wireless networks
can you post the text output of

ipconfig /all

from an elevated command prompt when the computer is in this
condition?

(also see http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/933872/en-us
)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:27:00 -0700, DerekS
<DerekS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm a college student with a wireless router in my apartment and the problem
>that I'm having is any time I go from my apartment to anywhere on campus
>after putting my computer into hibernation my wireless in my laptop will
>connect to the schools wireless connection and show that it's recieving
>information but have no internet. I try repairing it and everything that I
>know vista allows me to but the only way I've determined to fix it is by
>completely rebooting my laptop. Anyone know of any other way to fix this?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP