firewall blocking home network

John

firewall blocking home network
Hi,
I'm having a couple of issues involving my home network with 2 computers. My
main computer has vista with Norton360 and my notebook computer has XP with
NIS2007. The main computer can see the notebook computer in the workgroup and
the notebook can see the Main in the workgroup. Now, the Main computer cannot
access the notebook computer unless I have Norton firewall turned off the
notebook. The notebook computer can't even access the workgroup unless the
firewall is turned off. I was wondering if anyone knew what setting in
Norton's firewall needs to be changed to get these computers able to talk to
each other all the time without having to turn off the firewall on my
notebook?

The second issue I'm having is when I have the firewall turned off the
notebook, the Main has access to my notebook but when I try to access the
Main from my notebook I get a message saying that

"\\Main is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions. Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons
are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions or a policy
restriction has been enforced."

I tried turning off the firewall on Main but still get the same message. Why
can't I access the Main computer from my notebook?
Chuck [MVP]

Re: firewall blocking home network
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:59:00 -0700, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm having a couple of issues involving my home network with 2 computers. My
>main computer has vista with Norton360 and my notebook computer has XP with
>NIS2007. The main computer can see the notebook computer in the workgroup and
>the notebook can see the Main in the workgroup. Now, the Main computer cannot
>access the notebook computer unless I have Norton firewall turned off the
>notebook. The notebook computer can't even access the workgroup unless the
>firewall is turned off. I was wondering if anyone knew what setting in
>Norton's firewall needs to be changed to get these computers able to talk to
>each other all the time without having to turn off the firewall on my
>notebook?
>
>The second issue I'm having is when I have the firewall turned off the
>notebook, the Main has access to my notebook but when I try to access the
>Main from my notebook I get a message saying that
>
>"\\Main is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
>resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
>access permissions. Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons
>are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions or a policy
>restriction has been enforced."
>
>I tried turning off the firewall on Main but still get the same message. Why
>can't I access the Main computer from my notebook?

Check the Local Security Policy for the account that you're trying to use.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Help>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-xp.html#Help

Check the NetBT and firewall settings together. Make sure that NetBT is
consistently set.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

--
Cheers,