Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

How can i make VISTA networking the same as XP?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2007
Brian Z
 

Posts: n/a
How can i make VISTA networking the same as XP?
I have an application, and it works fine on XP. So I installed it on Vista,
and the program runs fine, but when it connects to the server, it says "can
not locate server". I verified all the settings are correct. You can choose
"Run as" other OS, but that does nothing for you as far as the network is
concerned.

Is there anyway to emulate XP's networking on Vista? How could the program
work, but not the networking. I tried removing IPV6, and just using IPV4. I
also tried the obvious, removing the firewall.

I suspect this has something to do with RPC, or some security protocol. It
would be REALLY helpful if someone can guide me with this. The app is for a
Toshiba CS Phone server software, and our vendor is playing hardball with us
to get the Vista updates.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2007
Chuck [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How can i make VISTA networking the same as XP?
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:56:02 -0700, Brian Z <Brian Z@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have an application, and it works fine on XP. So I installed it on Vista,
>and the program runs fine, but when it connects to the server, it says "can
>not locate server". I verified all the settings are correct. You can choose
>"Run as" other OS, but that does nothing for you as far as the network is
>concerned.
>
>Is there anyway to emulate XP's networking on Vista? How could the program
>work, but not the networking. I tried removing IPV6, and just using IPV4. I
>also tried the obvious, removing the firewall.
>
>I suspect this has something to do with RPC, or some security protocol. It
>would be REALLY helpful if someone can guide me with this. The app is for a
>Toshiba CS Phone server software, and our vendor is playing hardball with us
>to get the Vista updates.


Brian,

So did you get the Vista updates? Vista networking is pretty similar to XP
networking, but there are some known differences.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

The differences that affect any third party application are probably best
identified by the vendor of the application. You can maybe emulate Windows XP,
but the vendor needs to tell you what his application expects to see.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007
Brian Z
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How can i make VISTA networking the same as XP?
I don't really understand. it is not the application, the application runs
fine. There must be something different in the RDP or transport. My vendor is
unwilling to help me (Toshiba), and I sit waiting until the letter we wrote
the managment of Toshiba. Apparantly, the District Manager doesnt give out
his phone number. Nice customer service!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions. Is TCP/IP 4 crazy different in Vista
then XP? I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Being that the
APP "sees" the server, but just does not allow connection leaves me to
believe there is something in network security I need to turn off.

Thanks in advance.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:56:02 -0700, Brian Z <Brian Z@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have an application, and it works fine on XP. So I installed it on Vista,
> >and the program runs fine, but when it connects to the server, it says "can
> >not locate server". I verified all the settings are correct. You can choose
> >"Run as" other OS, but that does nothing for you as far as the network is
> >concerned.
> >
> >Is there anyway to emulate XP's networking on Vista? How could the program
> >work, but not the networking. I tried removing IPV6, and just using IPV4. I
> >also tried the obvious, removing the firewall.
> >
> >I suspect this has something to do with RPC, or some security protocol. It
> >would be REALLY helpful if someone can guide me with this. The app is for a
> >Toshiba CS Phone server software, and our vendor is playing hardball with us
> >to get the Vista updates.

>
> Brian,
>
> So did you get the Vista updates? Vista networking is pretty similar to XP
> networking, but there are some known differences.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> The differences that affect any third party application are probably best
> identified by the vendor of the application. You can maybe emulate Windows XP,
> but the vendor needs to tell you what his application expects to see.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007
Chuck [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How can i make VISTA networking the same as XP?
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:40:00 -0700, Brian Z <BrianZ@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:56:02 -0700, Brian Z <Brian Z@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have an application, and it works fine on XP. So I installed it on Vista,
>> >and the program runs fine, but when it connects to the server, it says "can
>> >not locate server". I verified all the settings are correct. You can choose
>> >"Run as" other OS, but that does nothing for you as far as the network is
>> >concerned.
>> >
>> >Is there anyway to emulate XP's networking on Vista? How could the program
>> >work, but not the networking. I tried removing IPV6, and just using IPV4. I
>> >also tried the obvious, removing the firewall.
>> >
>> >I suspect this has something to do with RPC, or some security protocol. It
>> >would be REALLY helpful if someone can guide me with this. The app is for a
>> >Toshiba CS Phone server software, and our vendor is playing hardball with us
>> >to get the Vista updates.

>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> So did you get the Vista updates? Vista networking is pretty similar to XP
>> networking, but there are some known differences.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>>
>> The differences that affect any third party application are probably best
>> identified by the vendor of the application. You can maybe emulate Windows XP,
>> but the vendor needs to tell you what his application expects to see.


>I don't really understand. it is not the application, the application runs
>fine. There must be something different in the RDP or transport. My vendor is
>unwilling to help me (Toshiba), and I sit waiting until the letter we wrote
>the managment of Toshiba. Apparantly, the District Manager doesnt give out
>his phone number. Nice customer service!
>
>Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions. Is TCP/IP 4 crazy different in Vista
>then XP? I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Being that the
>APP "sees" the server, but just does not allow connection leaves me to
>believe there is something in network security I need to turn off.
>
>Thanks in advance.


Look at the number of complaints about networking Windows Vista computers, and
look at the number of copies of Vista overall. It's a pretty small ratio. Most
folks who bought Vista are busy using it, not complaining about it.

So, diagnose the problem. IPV4, and SMBs over IP, shouldn't be too different.
Try regular file sharing, and see if it works. Then look at known differences.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

Look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and
"net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the problem. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!) (note how to use a command window in Vista!):
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista wirelss networking no work, wired networking works chalmers microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 33 04-24-2008 17:01
How to make Vista work properly Hoock The Spook microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 06-16-2007 06:13
How to make XP as fast as vista? kirk jim microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-21-2007 20:37
Make XP Look Like Vista =?Utf-8?B?TG91aXMgQy1X?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 03-21-2007 00:49
Can't make ICS work with Vista and XP =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBpbiBGbG9yaWRh?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 03-13-2007 11:18




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:04.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120