internet problems after several hours

derrick

internet problems after several hours
My internet connection works perfectly for anywhere between 5 and 30 hours,
and then things start screwing up. I can't load anything in my browser
(tried IE7, Firefox, and Opera), including my router administration page. It
immediately comes up with the error loading page. I also can't connect to my
mail server.
But at the same time, I can ping, traceroute, and resolve addresses from the
command line. When I restart my computer, everything works for several
hours, but eventually the problems will start again.
I have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it, but I assume it must
be a problem on my local computer. Any ideas?
Malke

Re: internet problems after several hours
derrick wrote:
> My internet connection works perfectly for anywhere between 5 and 30 hours,
> and then things start screwing up. I can't load anything in my browser
> (tried IE7, Firefox, and Opera), including my router administration page. It
> immediately comes up with the error loading page. I also can't connect to my
> mail server.
> But at the same time, I can ping, traceroute, and resolve addresses from the
> command line. When I restart my computer, everything works for several
> hours, but eventually the problems will start again.
> I have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it, but I assume it must
> be a problem on my local computer. Any ideas?

How do you connect to the Internet? What ISP, what make/model modem if
broadband? Do you use a router? What make/model?

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
things worked and the time they didn't?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
derrick

Re: internet problems after several hours
My ISP is Charter High-Speed, my modem is an Ambit SpeedStream 60678EU, my
router is a D-Link DGL-4100 (I have also tried using my older D-Link DI-604
router with the same results).

I don't know what changed. It took a while before I even realized this was
a reoccurring problem due to the amount of time that needs to pass without a
reboot. I do tend to try new software fairly frequently. The only software
firewall I use is Windows Firewall, which I have tried disabling to no avail.

derrick wrote:
> My ISP is Charter High-Speed, my modem is an Ambit SpeedStream 60678EU, my
> router is a D-Link DGL-4100 (I have also tried using my older D-Link DI-604
> router with the same results).
>
> I don't know what changed. It took a while before I even realized this was
> a reoccurring problem due to the amount of time that needs to pass without a
> reboot. I do tend to try new software fairly frequently. The only software
> firewall I use is Windows Firewall, which I have tried disabling to no avail.

Connect the computer directly to the modem, bypassing the router. Does
the issue still occur? Obviously you will need to give it enough time to
test this.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
John B

Re: internet problems after several hours
could this solve your problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168/en-us

"Malke" wrote:

> derrick wrote:
> > My ISP is Charter High-Speed, my modem is an Ambit SpeedStream 60678EU, my
> > router is a D-Link DGL-4100 (I have also tried using my older D-Link DI-604
> > router with the same results).
> >
> > I don't know what changed. It took a while before I even realized this was
> > a reoccurring problem due to the amount of time that needs to pass without a
> > reboot. I do tend to try new software fairly frequently. The only software
> > firewall I use is Windows Firewall, which I have tried disabling to no avail.

> Connect the computer directly to the modem, bypassing the router. Does
> the issue still occur? Obviously you will need to give it enough time to
> test this.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

derrick

Re: internet problems after several hours
This seems to have solved my problem, thank you. I'm not sure why Internet
Connection Sharing was enabled on my system but I installed that hotfix and
disabled ICS and I haven't gotten disconnected yet.