Printer sharing & drivers

Tammy

Printer sharing & drivers
Hi
I have a home network consisting off two desktops (1 XP and 1 Vista
Ultimate) plus a laptop running XP. My network and file sharing works just
fine, as did my printing until I decided to connect the printer (an Epson
Stylus Photo R310) to the Vista computer instead of the XP. I can print from
the Vista directly to the R310, but when I try to set it up as a netwroked
computer on the XP using the "Add printer" wizard, I can SEE the printer
connected to the Vista computer, but it wants me to browse for drivers. The
Vista machine has Vista drivers and the XP machine has XP drivers, but I
don't know where to browse for them!!! It is frustrating being so close but
so far. Any help gratefully accepted.

Tammy
joel406

Re: Printer sharing & drivers

Put you Epson cd in the drive and browse to it for your drivers.

--
joel406
Tammy

Re: Printer sharing & drivers

I did that (as well as pointing it to the directory where I had downloaded
the most recent drivers from the Epson website) but it didn't find what it
was after. I know the drivers are there, as I can run the printer from either
computer directly. It seems to be after a particular .inf file and I don't
know what or where it is.

"joel406" wrote:

> Put you Epson cd in the drive and browse to it for your drivers.
>

> --
> joel406

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printer sharing & drivers
Add the printer as local port first. That will install the driver and then
re-map to the network printer. This link may help too.

Vista Print IssuesVista Print Issues. Vista: Cannot connect to the printer,
access denied Make sure you use a correct printer driver and the printer
driver is compatible with ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I did that (as well as pointing it to the directory where I had downloaded
> the most recent drivers from the Epson website) but it didn't find what it
> was after. I know the drivers are there, as I can run the printer from
> either
> computer directly. It seems to be after a particular .inf file and I don't
> know what or where it is.
>
> "joel406" wrote:
>

>> Put you Epson cd in the drive and browse to it for your drivers.
>>

>> --
>> joel406

Tammy

Re: Printer sharing & drivers
Thank you for the reply. For the time being, I have gone back to having my
printer connected to he XP machine. From what I have been reading, I should
be grateful that this was working in the first place!

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Add the printer as local port first. That will install the driver and then
> re-map to the network printer. This link may help too.
>
> Vista Print IssuesVista Print Issues. Vista: Cannot connect to the printer,
> access denied Make sure you use a correct printer driver and the printer
> driver is compatible with ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I did that (as well as pointing it to the directory where I had downloaded
> > the most recent drivers from the Epson website) but it didn't find what it
> > was after. I know the drivers are there, as I can run the printer from
> > either
> > computer directly. It seems to be after a particular .inf file and I don't
> > know what or where it is.
> >
> > "joel406" wrote:
> >

> >> Put you Epson cd in the drive and browse to it for your drivers.
> >>

> >> --
> >> joel406

Tammy

RE: Printer sharing & drivers
I thought I would let others with this problem know that I eventually got my
XP to print to the printer connected to my Vista Ultimate computer by
following Robert's advice to set up the printer as a local port on the XP
computer (and laptop). It then found the correct drivers on both XP computers
instead of trying to install them from the Vista computer. Problem solved!
Thank you Robert!