Networking two computers running vista basic.

Mark P.

Networking two computers running vista basic.
Hi everyone:

I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about networking
two computers running vista basic. They are two laptops that need to be
neworked together. Does anyone know of any problems with networking them
together or bugs or problems I may encounter when doing so? Thanks.

Mark
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Networking two computers running vista basic.
That should work. Just make sure you assign correct permissions and enable
sharing. This how to may help too.

Vista Network SharingVista Network Sharing. How to access a sharing printer
in Vista How to check or setup Windows Vista home network How to: move the
Public Folder in Vista ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/networksharing.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Mark P." <Mark P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about
> networking
> two computers running vista basic. They are two laptops that need to be
> neworked together. Does anyone know of any problems with networking them
> together or bugs or problems I may encounter when doing so? Thanks.
>
> Mark

Malke

Mark P. wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about networking
> two computers running vista basic. They are two laptops that need to be
> neworked together. Does anyone know of any problems with networking them
> together or bugs or problems I may encounter when doing so? Thanks.

Certainly you can network two machines running Vista. The easiest way is
by using a router.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...27037.aspxThis link will
take you through Vista networking very well:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Mark P.

Re: Networking two computers running vista basic.
Hi Malke:

I did unfortunately forgot a very important piece of information. We are
hooking these two vista basic computer to a network that is currently running
windows server 2003. Would there be any known issues with networking the
vista pc's to the existing network running 2003? Thank you. Sorry, I forgot
to include this in my original post.

Mark

"Malke" wrote:

> Mark P. wrote:
> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about networking
> > two computers running vista basic. They are two laptops that need to be
> > neworked together. Does anyone know of any problems with networking them
> > together or bugs or problems I may encounter when doing so? Thanks.

> Certainly you can network two machines running Vista. The easiest way is
> by using a router.
>
> Excellent, thorough, yet easy to understand article about File/Printer
> Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
> files and folders:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...27037.aspxThis link will
> take you through Vista networking very well:
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Mark P.

Re: Networking two computers running vista basic.
Hi Robert:

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> That should work. Just make sure you assign correct permissions and enable
> sharing. This how to may help too.
>
> Vista Network SharingVista Network Sharing. How to access a sharing printer
> in Vista How to check or setup Windows Vista home network How to: move the
> Public Folder in Vista ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/vista/networksharing.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Mark P." <Mark P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about
> > networking
> > two computers running vista basic. They are two laptops that need to be
> > neworked together. Does anyone know of any problems with networking them
> > together or bugs or problems I may encounter when doing so? Thanks.
> >
> > Mark

Mark P.

"Mark P." wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about networking
> two computers running vista basic. They are two laptops that need to be
> neworked together. Does anyone know of any problems with networking them
> together or bugs or problems I may encounter when doing so? Thanks.
>
> Mark

Malke

Mark P. wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I did unfortunately forgot a very important piece of information. We are
> hooking these two vista basic computer to a network that is currently running
> windows server 2003. Would there be any known issues with networking the
> vista pc's to the existing network running 2003? Thank you. Sorry, I forgot
> to include this in my original post.

There should be no problem as long as you understand that none of the
Home editions can join a domain. If you're not using AD, then just
create matching user accounts/passwords on the server and follow the
instructions for networking Vista that I already gave you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Networking two computers running vista basic.
That should work too.

--

> Hi Robert:
>
> I did unfortunately forgot a very important piece of information. We are
> hooking these two vista basic computer to a network that is currently
> running
> windows server 2003. Would there be any known issues with networking the
> vista pc's to the existing network running 2003? Thank you. Sorry, I
> forgot
> to include this in my original post.
>
> Mark
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> That should work. Just make sure you assign correct permissions and
>> enable
>> sharing. This how to may help too.
>>
>> Vista Network SharingVista Network Sharing. How to access a sharing
>> printer
>> in Vista How to check or setup Windows Vista home network How to: move
>> the
>> Public Folder in Vista ...
>> www.howtonetworking.com/vista/networksharing.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Mark P." <Mark P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi everyone:
>> >
>> > I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about
>> > networking
>> > two computers running vista basic. They are two laptops that need to be
>> > neworked together. Does anyone know of any problems with networking
>> > them
>> > together or bugs or problems I may encounter when doing so? Thanks.
>> >
>> > Mark

Mark P.

Re: Networking two computers running vista basic.
Thank you Malke and all of you who have replied to my posts. I appreciate the
help!

Mark