Vista UAC: "Logon Failure" when running executables on NAS

Lynn Henderson

Vista UAC: "Logon Failure" when running executables on NAS
I have a Linux-based NAS running Samba with user-level password
protection (the same userid and password as Vista). I can browse files,
etc., but I am unable to run any executable files. UAC prompts me for
approval, but then give me a "Login failure: unknown username or bad
password" error. It must be a UAC issue because I have no problems when
I turn UAC off, but I'd like to leave it enabled if possible. Anyone
else experience this issue and have a solution? What exactly is Vista
sending as the username and password when elevating an application via
UAC? Maybe I could set up a dummy user on my NAS that reflects the user
and password Vista is sending.

Thanks.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista UAC: "Logon Failure" when running executables on NAS
It could be the LM authentication issue.

Vista troubleshootingVista and Domain Issues · Vista and Firewall Issues ·
Vista and LM authentication level Issues · Vista and SBS · Vista Internet
access issues ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Lynn Henderson" <lynnjunk@comcast.REMOVE.net> wrote in message
>I have a Linux-based NAS running Samba with user-level password protection
>(the same userid and password as Vista). I can browse files, etc., but I
>am unable to run any executable files. UAC prompts me for approval, but
>then give me a "Login failure: unknown username or bad password" error. It
>must be a UAC issue because I have no problems when I turn UAC off, but I'd
>like to leave it enabled if possible. Anyone else experience this issue
>and have a solution? What exactly is Vista sending as the username and
>password when elevating an application via UAC? Maybe I could set up a
>dummy user on my NAS that reflects the user and password Vista is sending.
>
> Thanks.

Sengfeng

Re: Vista UAC: "Logon Failure" when running executables on NAS

Something I just ran across: If you have drive letters mapped to a
remote share, they will be disconnected when UAC kicks in. Solution: Use
UNC names.

(To test this, open a command prompt and enter NET USE - You'll see the
drive mappings. Open a command prompt with Administrator privs, and NET
USE will show disconnected drives. Stupid behavior, IMO).

--
Sengfeng
James Matthews

Re: Vista UAC: "Logon Failure" when running executables on NAS
Yes alot of things don't include the new UAC in

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/movado--watches.html
http://www.jewelerslounge.com/