Something switching off the Ethernet port

George from Waterloo

Something switching off the Ethernet port
My ethernet port has gone dead on me.

The event viewer shows a number of error messages at the time when ethernet
connection went down:

Warning 20/10/2007 9:51:52 AM E100B 4 None
Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection: Adapter Link Down

Warning 20/10/2007 9:56:38 AM Dhcp-Client 1003 None
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the
DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001A925D41AC. The
following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired.. Your computer will continue to
try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Error 20/10/2007 10:04:23 AM RasClient 20227 None
CoID={358EDDED-8270-4284-8E85-850A8B08F028}: The user HP_MULTIMEDIA\George &
Athelene dialed a connection named sympatico which has failed. The error code
returned on failure is 815.

This happened earlier in the year. To cut a long story short, I ended up
getting a new motherboard from HP and restoring the computer to factory
settings. This worked.. The ethernet connection worked for a week, then died
on me on 20/10/07.

I suspect the OS is somehow shutting it down.

I can still connect through the USB port, but I'd like to reactivate the
Ethernet port if possible and find out what is happening. With one proviso -
I'm not willing to restore to factory settings again. I've lost too much time
on the computer already.

Thanks

HP Pavilion Media Center m8020n TV PC
Bell Sympatico Speedstream 5200 modem
D-Link WBR-1310 router -> wireless to second (XP) computer
Windows Vista on primary computer (Media Center)

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Something switching off the Ethernet port
Have you tried double checking your ethernet cable (both connection
and the state of the cable)? Try plugging it into a new port on your
router/hub/switch.

Does it ever work?

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:14:01 -0700, George from Waterloo <George from
Waterloo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My ethernet port has gone dead on me.
>
>The event viewer shows a number of error messages at the time when ethernet
>connection went down:
>
>Warning 20/10/2007 9:51:52 AM E100B 4 None
>Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection: Adapter Link Down
>
>Warning 20/10/2007 9:56:38 AM Dhcp-Client 1003 None
>Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the
>DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001A925D41AC. The
>following error occurred:
>The semaphore timeout period has expired.. Your computer will continue to
>try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
>
>Error 20/10/2007 10:04:23 AM RasClient 20227 None
>CoID={358EDDED-8270-4284-8E85-850A8B08F028}: The user HP_MULTIMEDIA\George &
>Athelene dialed a connection named sympatico which has failed. The error code
>returned on failure is 815.
>
>This happened earlier in the year. To cut a long story short, I ended up
>getting a new motherboard from HP and restoring the computer to factory
>settings. This worked.. The ethernet connection worked for a week, then died
>on me on 20/10/07.
>
>I suspect the OS is somehow shutting it down.
>
>I can still connect through the USB port, but I'd like to reactivate the
>Ethernet port if possible and find out what is happening. With one proviso -
>I'm not willing to restore to factory settings again. I've lost too much time
>on the computer already.
>
>Thanks
>
> HP Pavilion Media Center m8020n TV PC
>Bell Sympatico Speedstream 5200 modem
>D-Link WBR-1310 router -> wireless to second (XP) computer
>Windows Vista on primary computer (Media Center)

George from Waterloo

Re: Something switching off the Ethernet port
I've tried 3 cables.
I'm certain it's not the cables, the modem, the router, or the motherboard.

Does it ever work?
Yes. It worked for about a month when I first bought the computer and for a
week after the motherboard was replaced.

George
"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> Have you tried double checking your ethernet cable (both connection
> and the state of the cable)? Try plugging it into a new port on your
> router/hub/switch.
>
> Does it ever work?
>
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net

George from Waterloo

Re: Something switching off the Ethernet port
Just a bit more information.....

When the computer was returned with the new motherboard, it was obvious that
the IT staff were trying to be nice to me because they installed it without
changing any of the settings - presumably trying to save me from reinstalling
all my stuff. But the ethernet port didn't work on the new board either. So I
restored it to the original factory settings and the port lit up like a
christmas tree. That suggests to me that something in the OS turned it off.

It then woeked for a week and went dead again.

"George from Waterloo" wrote:

> I've tried 3 cables.
> I'm certain it's not the cables, the modem, the router, or the motherboard.
>
> Does it ever work?
> Yes. It worked for about a month when I first bought the computer and for a
> week after the motherboard was replaced.
>
> George
> "Jeffrey Randow" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried double checking your ethernet cable (both connection
> > and the state of the cable)? Try plugging it into a new port on your
> > router/hub/switch.
> >
> > Does it ever work?
> >
> > ---
> > Jeffrey Randow
> > jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> > Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> > http://www.networkblog.net

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Something switching off the Ethernet port
What happens if you uninstall the NIC from device manager and then
allow it to rescan hardware to redetect and install it again?

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:06:00 -0700, George from Waterloo
<GeorgefromWaterloo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Just a bit more information.....
>
>When the computer was returned with the new motherboard, it was obvious that
>the IT staff were trying to be nice to me because they installed it without
>changing any of the settings - presumably trying to save me from reinstalling
>all my stuff. But the ethernet port didn't work on the new board either. So I
>restored it to the original factory settings and the port lit up like a
>christmas tree. That suggests to me that something in the OS turned it off.
>
>It then woeked for a week and went dead again.
>
>"George from Waterloo" wrote:
>
>> I've tried 3 cables.
>> I'm certain it's not the cables, the modem, the router, or the motherboard.
>>
>> Does it ever work?
>> Yes. It worked for about a month when I first bought the computer and for a
>> week after the motherboard was replaced.
>>
>> George
>> "Jeffrey Randow" wrote:
>>
>> > Have you tried double checking your ethernet cable (both connection
>> > and the state of the cable)? Try plugging it into a new port on your
>> > router/hub/switch.
>> >
>> > Does it ever work?
>> >
>> > ---
>> > Jeffrey Randow
>> > jeffreycentex@gmail.com
>> > Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
>> > http://www.networkblog.net

George from Waterloo

Re: Something switching off the Ethernet port
It reinstalls after a second or two. No change to the ethernet port

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> What happens if you uninstall the NIC from device manager and then
> allow it to rescan hardware to redetect and install it again?

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Something switching off the Ethernet port
I'm out of ideas on this one.. Sorry...

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:53:01 -0700, George from Waterloo