Connecting to other computers on my network

James Linville

Connecting to other computers on my network
I recently purchased a Gateway laptop with Vista Home Premium. The
networking is through a Westell Versalink 327W Gateway Modem. Internet
connection is fine through Bellsouth/AT&T DSL. Can not access shared folders
on other computers if I have to enter User Name and Pass Word. When I go to
enter the user name I enter the correct name. When I enter the password I
enter the correct pass word. When I press OK I get an error message. "Log on
unsuccessful: Windows is unable to log you on. Be sure that your user name
and password are correct." This user name has somehow been added to. Instead
of saying "Jim" or whatever it says "Gateway/Jim." How do I get rid of the
"Gateway/" part? The Windows ME computer logs on successfully, as does the
XP machine. I have no trouble seeing and logging onto every other computer
in my network with each other, including the Mac Book Pro. The Vista Home
Premium computer is the only one that is giving me grief. Any Ideas?

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connecting to other computers on my network
I think the simple solution is creating the same username, for example Jim,
and password on both computers.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net