Problem connecting to school router

Andrew MacNeill

Problem connecting to school router
Hey all.
I have a weird problem that my daughter is experiencing while at University
with her new Vista notebook.
..
She was able to connect for the longest time to the internet via the school
network and then all of a sudden, it stopped working. Immediately I thought
it was some software so we rolled back her machine to a time when it was
working. But still no luck.

For whatever reason, she is unable to connect directly (they have a router
or a switch in each of their rooms and her roommate has no problems). Her
IPV4 setting says Local or Limited. Her IPV6 setting always says Local.

So many posts have suggested that it's a problem with the NIC or something
else.

The weird part is that when she brings her laptop home and plugs into the
home network here, she can connect without a problem. Now we DID notice some
issues with IPV6. Here is the order that we observed it:

IPV6 and IPV4 Enabled : No connection at home
Disabled IPV6 : Connection successful
Enabled IPV6 and IPV6 - Connection still successful.

So we tried the same stuff over the phone in her room and still the same
problem. She has also tried it in other rooms in the dorm with the same
problem, while all of her friends are able to get connected.

When she runs IPCONFIG/ALL, the result is the 169.xx..x.x. number.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew MacNeill

Barb Bowman

Re: Problem connecting to school router
You need to post the text output of

ipconfig /all

from an elevated command prompt from the machine when it is in a
"failed" state.

this could be a change at the school's side to their DHCP server.
she might want to contact the school's IT folks to see if anything
changed on that side as well.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Andrew MacNeill

Re: Problem connecting to school router
Thanks Barb.

I've had her contact her IT dept - but I'll try and walk her through it and
then get it posted here.