Resuming from sleep and Wake on Lan signal from Xbox360 extender

Tac-Elf

Resuming from sleep and Wake on Lan signal from Xbox360 extender
Configuration is pretty simple:
- Vista (32-bit) Ultimate box used primarily as a household Media Center
Server
- Box is configured to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity
- All drivers are inbox, and all hardware is "Vista" logo'd.
- Multimedia (power settings) mode is set to "Prevent idling to sleep" when
sharing multimedia
- Wake on Lan configured (as per the network adaptor)
- A number of Xbox 360 used as Media Center Extenders

The problem:
Vista box sleeps after 30 minutes following the last extender disconnection
-- just as planned. When an extender comes online, the correct packet is
sent and the Vista box wakes up. However, the network connection between the
Vista box and the extender always fails after about 30 seconds. If, after
waiting about 10 minutes, I retry letting the extender connect then a solid
connection is made.

What seems obvious to me is the intention is clearly there for an Xbox 360
(or other V2 extender) to wake the Vista box -- like I said, the right
packets are getting sent and received *and* the Vista box is waking. It just
won't sustain a stable network connection, which points at a Vista bug. This
bug is costing me about $700 per year in electricity charges to keep the
Vista box running 24/7; the only viable workaround at the moment.
Frederick Smith

Re: Resuming from sleep and Wake on Lan signal from Xbox360 extender
I think you should take a look at some of my earlier posts.
Fred
"Tac-Elf" <Tac-Elf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Configuration is pretty simple:
> - Vista (32-bit) Ultimate box used primarily as a household Media Center
> Server
> - Box is configured to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity
> - All drivers are inbox, and all hardware is "Vista" logo'd.
> - Multimedia (power settings) mode is set to "Prevent idling to sleep"
> when
> sharing multimedia
> - Wake on Lan configured (as per the network adaptor)
> - A number of Xbox 360 used as Media Center Extenders
>
> The problem:
> Vista box sleeps after 30 minutes following the last extender
> disconnection
> -- just as planned. When an extender comes online, the correct packet is
> sent and the Vista box wakes up. However, the network connection between
> the
> Vista box and the extender always fails after about 30 seconds. If, after
> waiting about 10 minutes, I retry letting the extender connect then a
> solid
> connection is made.
>
> What seems obvious to me is the intention is clearly there for an Xbox 360
> (or other V2 extender) to wake the Vista box -- like I said, the right
> packets are getting sent and received *and* the Vista box is waking. It
> just
> won't sustain a stable network connection, which points at a Vista bug.
> This
> bug is costing me about $700 per year in electricity charges to keep the
> Vista box running 24/7; the only viable workaround at the moment.

Tac-Elf

Re: Resuming from sleep and Wake on Lan signal from Xbox360 extend
Fredreick: The same patch doesn't fix the problem. I've tried running with
all static IPs on my home network, and that doesn't work either. Any of you
MVPs want to take a stab at this?
neil_m_stoker@hotmail.com

On Oct 23, 7:29 am, Tac-Elf <Tac-...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Fredreick: The same patch doesn't fix the problem. I've tried running with
> all static IPs on my home network, and that doesn't work either. Any of you
> MVPs want to take a stab at this?

Can't help with an answer yet, but I have practically identical set up
(except just the one Xbox 360!) and have the same problem.

One variation I get is that, even though my Media Center is quite
quick to come out of (S3) sleep, the Xbox always times out when it
first tries to contact the Media Center. It has the Try Again or
Network Settings options. If I leave it, then after a little more
time (basically I think it's as soon as I get to the login screen on
the Media Center), the Xbox will spot the Media Center is 100% alive
and will connect. This works briefly (i.e. I can do stuff on the
Xbox) but then loses it's connection.

Didn't have much time at home last night, but will have to do more
testing to see what is driving this and what happens if I vary
things. If I make any breakthroughs I'll defo post here again.

Cheers,
Neil

Tac-Elf

Re: Resuming from sleep and Wake on Lan signal from Xbox360 extend
Basically, that's my problem exactly. Vista box will wake pretty quick, but
it apparently takes 5-10 minutes for things to settle-down enough for the
Xbox360 extender to find/sustain a connection to the Vista box.

Wish I knew what I could use to trouble-shoot this and collect actionable
data for Microsoft. The only viable solution is leaving the Vista box on 24
X 7: This is costing my in excess of $700US per year in extra electricity.

Microsoft: Are you listening? I want to collect data on this for you but
don't have the tools to do so. I want to help you help me and other
customers falling into this situation.
VistaUser

Re: Resuming from sleep and Wake on Lan signal from Xbox360 extend
This thread describes my problem exactly. Any updates since 11/14?