media sharing wired ok wireless not ok

Remco Blok

media sharing wired ok wireless not ok
Hello,

Can somebody help please? My Vista laptop can find the media shared on my
(wired) Vista desktop pc ok using the laptop's wired connection, but not
using the laptop's wireless connection. It used to work before using the
wireless connection (although not very reliabe). I don't know what's changed
but I can't get it to work again except using its wired connection.

I disabled the IPSec Policy Agent service as adviced by Vista help, but that
did not help and since I did not enable it in the first place I think it
worked ok with it enabled before.

I can see my laptop has limited IPv6 connectivity using its wireless
connection. The laptop and my desktop pc have local IPv6 connectivity using
their wired connection. And all have internet IPv4 connectivity using wired
or wireless connections. Does it need IPv6?

The wireless laptop card (an old Netgear WG511v1) uses an XP driver since
there is no Vista driver for it. But the XP driver works ok. It can connect
to the internet and to the shared folders on my desktop pc, but media sharing
does not work.

It would appear that in the media sharing dialog where you allow or deny
devices access to a shared media library that it uses a client's mac address
to identify a client. On my desktop pc I had two entries for my laptop, one
with its wired mac address and one with its wireless mac address. Proof that
it worked before. When I remove the laptop's wireless entry the desktop pc
never detects it again.

Can anyone help please?

kind regards

Remco
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: media sharing wired ok wireless not ok
Can you ping the desktop by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Remco Blok" <Remco Blok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can somebody help please? My Vista laptop can find the media shared on my
> (wired) Vista desktop pc ok using the laptop's wired connection, but not
> using the laptop's wireless connection. It used to work before using the
> wireless connection (although not very reliabe). I don't know what's
> changed
> but I can't get it to work again except using its wired connection.
>
> I disabled the IPSec Policy Agent service as adviced by Vista help, but
> that
> did not help and since I did not enable it in the first place I think it
> worked ok with it enabled before.
>
> I can see my laptop has limited IPv6 connectivity using its wireless
> connection. The laptop and my desktop pc have local IPv6 connectivity
> using
> their wired connection. And all have internet IPv4 connectivity using
> wired
> or wireless connections. Does it need IPv6?
>
> The wireless laptop card (an old Netgear WG511v1) uses an XP driver since
> there is no Vista driver for it. But the XP driver works ok. It can
> connect
> to the internet and to the shared folders on my desktop pc, but media
> sharing
> does not work.
>
> It would appear that in the media sharing dialog where you allow or deny
> devices access to a shared media library that it uses a client's mac
> address
> to identify a client. On my desktop pc I had two entries for my laptop,
> one
> with its wired mac address and one with its wireless mac address. Proof
> that
> it worked before. When I remove the laptop's wireless entry the desktop pc
> never detects it again.
>
> Can anyone help please?
>
> kind regards
>
> Remco

Remco Blok

Re: media sharing wired ok wireless not ok
yes.