This is a weird one

T5

This is a weird one
I have a host PC connected via ethernet cable and a Sony Vaio laptop
(client) connected wirelessley to a home network both connected via a home
hub (residential gateway). The router detects both machines and has assigned
them IP addresses accordingly.

The host is running vista Home premium and the client is running xp home.

I am running windows live onecare on both machines

There are no bugs or viruses on either machine

I have run ipconfig release/renew but still no joy

I can ping the host from the client but not the client from the
host............ why is this?

Malke

Re: This is a weird one
T5 wrote:
> I have a host PC connected via ethernet cable and a Sony Vaio laptop
> (client) connected wirelessley to a home network both connected via a
> home hub (residential gateway). The router detects both machines and has
> assigned them IP addresses accordingly.
>
> The host is running vista Home premium and the client is running xp home.
>
> I am running windows live onecare on both machines
>
> There are no bugs or viruses on either machine
>
> I have run ipconfig release/renew but still no joy
>
> I can ping the host from the client but not the client from the
> host............ why is this?

This is usually a misconfigured firewall issue. See general comments
about firewalls below.

Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it. Read through the general networking tips
below and if you still are having difficulties, MVP Hans-Georg Michna
has an excellent small network troubleshooter here:

http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
T5

Re: This is a weird one
Wow thanks Malke for such an in depth reply. How do I allow lAN using
windows live onecare?
> T5 wrote:
>> I have a host PC connected via ethernet cable and a Sony Vaio laptop
>> (client) connected wirelessley to a home network both connected via a
>> home hub (residential gateway). The router detects both machines and has
>> assigned them IP addresses accordingly.
>>
>> The host is running vista Home premium and the client is running xp home.
>>
>> I am running windows live onecare on both machines
>>
>> There are no bugs or viruses on either machine
>>
>> I have run ipconfig release/renew but still no joy
>>
>> I can ping the host from the client but not the client from the
>> host............ why is this?

> This is usually a misconfigured firewall issue. See general comments about
> firewalls below.
>
> Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
> traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
> File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
> Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
> "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
> aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet
> Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then
> you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN
> allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
> Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than
> one firewall.
>
> Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
> by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
> such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or
> 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup
> machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not
> permit it. Read through the general networking tips below and if you
> still are having difficulties, MVP Hans-Georg Michna has an excellent
> small network troubleshooter here:
>
> http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: This is a weird one
To properly configure Windows Live OneCare for the local area network,
please see the following MS KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923157

--
Eric Cross