VISTA Firewall - Port 445

otterit

VISTA Firewall - Port 445
In order to enable file and printer sharing, has anyone ever had to manually
add Port 445 to the exception list in the VISTA firewall?

I had the "File and Printer Sharing" exception box checked, but could not
access any shared folders. Manually adding port 445 fixed the anomoly. Is
this by design with VISTA?

(Note: The only other workaround was to completely disable the Windows
Firewall. I had NO issues accessing any folders with everything disabled.)

(Note 2: The machines are on two different subnets. I am curious if that may
be the reason why the firewall did not accept the incoming request for
connection to the shared folder. Could it be that VISTA only accepts the File
and Printer share if the request is from the same subnet. Hmmm???)

otterit

RE: VISTA Firewall - Port 445
I wound up answering my own question, but I am not sure if it is "by design".
I was able to enable full sharing of my folders in VISTA by enabling "SMB-In"
using 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security".

Even when it is enabled (checked) in the firewall, Is 'File and Printer'
sharing specifically designed to block requests from outside subnets???

I do not remeber this being a problem with XP.

?????

"otterit" wrote:

> In order to enable file and printer sharing, has anyone ever had to manually
> add Port 445 to the exception list in the VISTA firewall?
>
> I had the "File and Printer Sharing" exception box checked, but could not
> access any shared folders. Manually adding port 445 fixed the anomoly. Is
> this by design with VISTA?
>
> (Note: The only other workaround was to completely disable the Windows
> Firewall. I had NO issues accessing any folders with everything disabled.)
>
> (Note 2: The machines are on two different subnets. I am curious if that may
> be the reason why the firewall did not accept the incoming request for
> connection to the shared folder. Could it be that VISTA only accepts the File
> and Printer share if the request is from the same subnet. Hmmm???)

Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

Re: VISTA Firewall - Port 445
Hi otterit. Normally, you would enable file and printer sharing by enabling
Network Discovery via Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel. This
opens all the required firewall ports.

I don't believe it is by design to exclude other subnets.

Thanks for posting,
Gloria

--
Gloria Boyer