I have my router set to WPA buy still shows as an unsecured networ

Amy

I have my router set to WPA buy still shows as an unsecured networ
I have a new desktop and laptop both with Vista and am trying to set up a WPA
secured network. My desktop is connected by cable to my router and the
laptop connects via wireless. My router was set to WEP, but I want WPA which
is supposed to be more secure. However, when I set the router to WPA, the
network shows up as "unsecured". If I change security settings for the
network on the laptop and set it to WPA-Personal and put in my passkey - it
disconnects me and says "settings saved on this computer for the network do
not match the requirements of the network" I've checked everything - the
passkey matches. I don't know why it doesn't work.
Jeffrey Randow

Re: I have my router set to WPA buy still shows as an unsecured networ
Double check your router configuration. If it shows up in Vista as
unsecured, WPA isn't turned on in your router.

You want WPA2-Personal, if at all available, then WPA, and WEP is
nothing else is available. Set the Pre-Shared Key and then you should
be up and running.

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:30:02 -0700, Amy
<Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a new desktop and laptop both with Vista and am trying to set up a WPA
>secured network. My desktop is connected by cable to my router and the
>laptop connects via wireless. My router was set to WEP, but I want WPA which
>is supposed to be more secure. However, when I set the router to WPA, the
>network shows up as "unsecured". If I change security settings for the
>network on the laptop and set it to WPA-Personal and put in my passkey - it
>disconnects me and says "settings saved on this computer for the network do
>not match the requirements of the network" I've checked everything - the
>passkey matches. I don't know why it doesn't work.

Barb Bowman

Re: I have my router set to WPA buy still shows as an unsecured networ
did you not change the default SSID on your router? it sounds like
there could be another network with the same name? and are you
broadcasting the SSID? which router do you have?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Amy

Re: I have my router set to WPA buy still shows as an unsecured ne
Yes, I changed the name of my SSID and also have it not broadcasting. When I
change the settings in my router to WPA and then try to connect to the
network from my laptop, it says the settings do not match. But I also put in
the SSID name and WPA passkey when I set up the network on my laptop, so I'm
not sure what I am doing wrong. WHen I call my internet service provider
they say they don't support WPA, but the manufacturer of the router (Netgear)
does support WPA. I also asked Dell tech support and they told me Vista
doesn't work with WPA - but I'm sure that's not true.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> did you not change the default SSID on your router? it sounds like
> there could be another network with the same name? and are you
> broadcasting the SSID? which router do you have?
>
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:30:02 -0700, Amy
> <Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a new desktop and laptop both with Vista and am trying to set up a WPA
> >secured network. My desktop is connected by cable to my router and the
> >laptop connects via wireless. My router was set to WEP, but I want WPA which
> >is supposed to be more secure. However, when I set the router to WPA, the
> >network shows up as "unsecured". If I change security settings for the
> >network on the laptop and set it to WPA-Personal and put in my passkey - it
> >disconnects me and says "settings saved on this computer for the network do
> >not match the requirements of the network" I've checked everything - the
> >passkey matches. I don't know why it doesn't work.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: I have my router set to WPA buy still shows as an unsecured ne
change to broadcast the SSID. you are not really protecting yourself
by non broadcasting it.

try a new simple WPA passkey like thisisatest on the router and the
computer.

what exact model netgear router do you have and what hardware
version? what firmware is in it?

Dell is full of baloney.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:41:01 -0700, Amy
<Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes, I changed the name of my SSID and also have it not broadcasting. When I
>change the settings in my router to WPA and then try to connect to the
>network from my laptop, it says the settings do not match. But I also put in
>the SSID name and WPA passkey when I set up the network on my laptop, so I'm
>not sure what I am doing wrong. WHen I call my internet service provider
>they say they don't support WPA, but the manufacturer of the router (Netgear)
>does support WPA. I also asked Dell tech support and they told me Vista
>doesn't work with WPA - but I'm sure that's not true.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> did you not change the default SSID on your router? it sounds like
>> there could be another network with the same name? and are you
>> broadcasting the SSID? which router do you have?
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:30:02 -0700, Amy
>> <Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a new desktop and laptop both with Vista and am trying to set up a WPA
>> >secured network. My desktop is connected by cable to my router and the
>> >laptop connects via wireless. My router was set to WEP, but I want WPA which
>> >is supposed to be more secure. However, when I set the router to WPA, the
>> >network shows up as "unsecured". If I change security settings for the
>> >network on the laptop and set it to WPA-Personal and put in my passkey - it
>> >disconnects me and says "settings saved on this computer for the network do
>> >not match the requirements of the network" I've checked everything - the
>> >passkey matches. I don't know why it doesn't work.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman