Syncing 2 computers

dbtmom

Syncing 2 computers
I have set up a home network with a desktop and a Laptop, both using Windows
Vista. When I go to Sync Center, it says that I have no sync partnerships
set up on this computer. When I click on Set Up New Sync Partnerships, it
says there are no new sync partnerships that can be set up on this computer.
What do I need to set up a sync partnership between my two computers.
Jeffrey Randow

Re: Syncing 2 computers
Note the following from the Sync Center FAQ -
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...97d371033.mspx

The ability to sync with network folders is not included in Windows
Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home
Premium.

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:38:01 -0700, dbtmom
<dbtmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have set up a home network with a desktop and a Laptop, both using Windows
>Vista. When I go to Sync Center, it says that I have no sync partnerships
>set up on this computer. When I click on Set Up New Sync Partnerships, it
>says there are no new sync partnerships that can be set up on this computer.
>What do I need to set up a sync partnership between my two computers.

dbtmom

Re: Syncing 2 computers
So if the ability to sync is not included with Windws Vista, is there
software I can buy to give me this ability? I need to be able to share my
files and folders between the 2 computers without having to enter all the
info twice.

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> Note the following from the Sync Center FAQ -
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...97d371033.mspx
>
> The ability to sync with network folders is not included in Windows
> Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home
> Premium.
>
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:38:01 -0700, dbtmom
> <dbtmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have set up a home network with a desktop and a Laptop, both using Windows
> >Vista. When I go to Sync Center, it says that I have no sync partnerships
> >set up on this computer. When I click on Set Up New Sync Partnerships, it
> >says there are no new sync partnerships that can be set up on this computer.
> >What do I need to set up a sync partnership between my two computers.

Chris Blunt

Re: Syncing 2 computers
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:46:00 -0700, dbtmom
<dbtmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So if the ability to sync is not included with Windws Vista, is there
>software I can buy to give me this ability? I need to be able to share my
>files and folders between the 2 computers without having to enter all the
>info twice.

I use Second Copy to do this. http://www.secondcopy.com/

Chris

>"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:
>
>> Note the following from the Sync Center FAQ -
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...97d371033.mspx
>>
>> The ability to sync with network folders is not included in Windows
>> Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home
>> Premium.
>>
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow
>> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
>> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
>> http://www.networkblog.net
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:38:01 -0700, dbtmom
>> <dbtmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have set up a home network with a desktop and a Laptop, both using Windows
>> >Vista. When I go to Sync Center, it says that I have no sync partnerships
>> >set up on this computer. When I click on Set Up New Sync Partnerships, it
>> >says there are no new sync partnerships that can be set up on this computer.
>> >What do I need to set up a sync partnership between my two computers.

Hans-Georg Michna

Re: Syncing 2 computers
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:46:00 -0700, dbtmom wrote:

>So if the ability to sync is not included with Windws Vista, is there
>software I can buy to give me this ability? I need to be able to share my
>files and folders between the 2 computers without having to enter all the
>info twice.

Have a look at the following article as well. It may contain
some useful hints.

How to synchronize two Windows computers
http://winhlp.com/node/58

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Jeffrey Randow

Re: Syncing 2 computers
I use Robocopy...

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:46:00 -0700, dbtmom
<dbtmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So if the ability to sync is not included with Windws Vista, is there
>software I can buy to give me this ability? I need to be able to share my
>files and folders between the 2 computers without having to enter all the
>info twice.
>
>"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:
>
>> Note the following from the Sync Center FAQ -
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...97d371033.mspx
>>
>> The ability to sync with network folders is not included in Windows
>> Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home
>> Premium.
>>
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow
>> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
>> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
>> http://www.networkblog.net
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:38:01 -0700, dbtmom
>> <dbtmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have set up a home network with a desktop and a Laptop, both using Windows
>> >Vista. When I go to Sync Center, it says that I have no sync partnerships
>> >set up on this computer. When I click on Set Up New Sync Partnerships, it
>> >says there are no new sync partnerships that can be set up on this computer.
>> >What do I need to set up a sync partnership between my two computers.

Malina

Re: Syncing 2 computers
I use the free SyncToy provided by Microsoft. It was designed for XP, but
I've had no problems running v1.4 on Vista Home Premium.

Or go to the Microsoft downloads center and search for SyncToy.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/S...displaylang=en

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 04:44:00 -0700, Malina wrote:

>I use the free SyncToy provided by Microsoft. It was designed for XP, but
>I've had no problems running v1.4 on Vista Home Premium.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Malina,

in fact, SyncToy 1.4 ostensibly runs only on Windows Vista. I've
never tested it though.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Blksnake

Re: Syncing 2 computers

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/10/25/synctoy-2-0/

Microsoft has released SyncToy 2.0 beta. Like its predecessor, SyncToy 2.0
is a free download that lets you synchronize files across multiple folders
and/or computers.

But there are a few new features under the hood:

* Dynamic drive letter assignment: change a drive letter and SyncToy
will automatically pick up on the change
* SyncToy now detects and synchronizes folder deletions, renamings, and
creation
* Exclude files based on names
* Filter by file attributes like read-only, system, or hidden
* Sync encrypted files
* Rename folder pairs

This is still beta software, so if you crave stability, you might want to
stay away. But SyncToy was already a pretty awesome tool for sharing or
backing up data. And SyncToy 2.0 seems to offer some nice improvements.

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista; Windows XP

Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0
1GHz Intel P3 processor or equivalent
256MB RAM, 512MB RAM recommended
20MB free disk space