Large copies fail to shared mount points (Vista - Windows 2003 Ser

DHonabach

Large copies fail to shared mount points (Vista - Windows 2003 Ser
Here's the environment:

- A Windows Vista System Ultimate Edition (Build 6000 and auto-patched as of
Oct 20, 07) Workstation
- Windows 2003R2 x64 SP#2 Enterprise Edition Server

On the server I have ~20 hard drives that are setup as mount points on the
server's main C-Drive. The structure is like this:

C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD00
C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD01
C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD19

So the HD00 thru HD19 are the special folders/mount points that redirect to
the physical hard drives attached to the server.

The C-Drive itself is a ~75GB Hard Drive that has approximately 30GB of free
space.

I share out the C:\HDBANKS folder as "HDBANKS" on this 2003 Server which is
called MSERVER for Media Server. So when I access from the workstation I use
the UNC of '\\MSERVER\HDBANKS'.

So (finally) here is the problem, if I copy more than 30GB worth of files
from the Vista Workstation using any of the HDxx mount points (i.e. copy from
Windows Vista to UNC of '\\MSERVER\HDBANKS\BANK1\HDxx' it fails saying there
isn't enough free room despite having amble free room on the physical hard
drive that is reference by HDxx mount point. As long as I copy files that are
less than the amount of free room on the Server's C-Drive I'm fine, but one
byte over and it fails. I can copy in batches, but that is pretty annoying to
say the least. I can also copy by sharing out the HDxx folder and accessing
that way (i.e. using \\MSERVER\HDxx', but I want to avoid share bloat and
excessive share maintenance.

Is there a setting I can change to get the Explorer Copy mechanism so that
it will not check for free space before copying? Is there a fix for this
issue or flag for explorer to check beyond the root for mount points? If not,
how can one report this as a bug?

Thanks!
Don

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Large copies fail to shared mount points (Vista - Windows 2003 Ser
My advice is not to use Explorer at all to copy files..

Robocopy is much faster and allows you to restart if there are network
errors...

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:52:00 -0700, DHonabach
<DHonabach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Here's the environment:
>
>- A Windows Vista System Ultimate Edition (Build 6000 and auto-patched as of
>Oct 20, 07) Workstation
>- Windows 2003R2 x64 SP#2 Enterprise Edition Server
>
>On the server I have ~20 hard drives that are setup as mount points on the
>server's main C-Drive. The structure is like this:
>
>C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD00
>C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD01
>C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD19
>
>So the HD00 thru HD19 are the special folders/mount points that redirect to
>the physical hard drives attached to the server.
>
>The C-Drive itself is a ~75GB Hard Drive that has approximately 30GB of free
>space.
>
>I share out the C:\HDBANKS folder as "HDBANKS" on this 2003 Server which is
>called MSERVER for Media Server. So when I access from the workstation I use
>the UNC of '\\MSERVER\HDBANKS'.
>
>So (finally) here is the problem, if I copy more than 30GB worth of files
>from the Vista Workstation using any of the HDxx mount points (i.e. copy from
>Windows Vista to UNC of '\\MSERVER\HDBANKS\BANK1\HDxx' it fails saying there
>isn't enough free room despite having amble free room on the physical hard
>drive that is reference by HDxx mount point. As long as I copy files that are
>less than the amount of free room on the Server's C-Drive I'm fine, but one
>byte over and it fails. I can copy in batches, but that is pretty annoying to
>say the least. I can also copy by sharing out the HDxx folder and accessing
>that way (i.e. using \\MSERVER\HDxx', but I want to avoid share bloat and
>excessive share maintenance.
>
>Is there a setting I can change to get the Explorer Copy mechanism so that
>it will not check for free space before copying? Is there a fix for this
>issue or flag for explorer to check beyond the root for mount points? If not,
>how can one report this as a bug?
>
>Thanks!
>Don

DHonabach

Re: Large copies fail to shared mount points (Vista - Windows 2003
Jeffrey -

Thanks for the suggestion. I never knew this tool existed. It's nice that
Microsoft is finally producing and making available some decent command line
tools over the last few years.

I'd still like the explorer/graphically portion to work, but this is a good
alternative. Maybe I can wrap a 'Send To' process around it ...

Thanks,
Don

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> My advice is not to use Explorer at all to copy files..
>
> Robocopy is much faster and allows you to restart if there are network
> errors...
>
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:52:00 -0700, DHonabach
> <DHonabach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Here's the environment:
> >
> >- A Windows Vista System Ultimate Edition (Build 6000 and auto-patched as of
> >Oct 20, 07) Workstation
> >- Windows 2003R2 x64 SP#2 Enterprise Edition Server
> >
> >On the server I have ~20 hard drives that are setup as mount points on the
> >server's main C-Drive. The structure is like this:
> >
> >C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD00
> >C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD01
> >C:\HDBANKS\BANK1\HD19
> >
> >So the HD00 thru HD19 are the special folders/mount points that redirect to
> >the physical hard drives attached to the server.
> >
> >The C-Drive itself is a ~75GB Hard Drive that has approximately 30GB of free
> >space.
> >
> >I share out the C:\HDBANKS folder as "HDBANKS" on this 2003 Server which is
> >called MSERVER for Media Server. So when I access from the workstation I use
> >the UNC of '\\MSERVER\HDBANKS'.
> >
> >So (finally) here is the problem, if I copy more than 30GB worth of files
> >from the Vista Workstation using any of the HDxx mount points (i.e. copy from
> >Windows Vista to UNC of '\\MSERVER\HDBANKS\BANK1\HDxx' it fails saying there
> >isn't enough free room despite having amble free room on the physical hard
> >drive that is reference by HDxx mount point. As long as I copy files that are
> >less than the amount of free room on the Server's C-Drive I'm fine, but one
> >byte over and it fails. I can copy in batches, but that is pretty annoying to
> >say the least. I can also copy by sharing out the HDxx folder and accessing
> >that way (i.e. using \\MSERVER\HDxx', but I want to avoid share bloat and
> >excessive share maintenance.
> >
> >Is there a setting I can change to get the Explorer Copy mechanism so that
> >it will not check for free space before copying? Is there a fix for this
> >issue or flag for explorer to check beyond the root for mount points? If not,
> >how can one report this as a bug?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Don

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Large copies fail to shared mount points (Vista - Windows 2003
It's an excellent tool.. There is a graphical interface to it
available online - Robocopy GUI
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...litySpotlight/

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:59:04 -0700, DHonabach